Review by Miraphery -- Prayer is Good: A Path from Grief...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Miraphery
Favorite Book: Worldlines
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miraphery.html
Latest Review: Prayer is Good: A Path from Grief to Peace by Brette Petway

Review by Miraphery -- Prayer is Good: A Path from Grief...

Post by Miraphery »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Prayer is Good: A Path from Grief to Peace" by Brette Petway.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

At some point in life, we lose someone dear to us or something we love so much. Grief is inevitable and is part of life. People deal with losses in different ways, some healthy and others, totally unhealthy. Brette Petway in Prayer is Good: A Path from Grief to Peace shares her experience and how she dealt with grief. She lost her sister to cancer and didn't know how to handle it at the time. It put a strain on her family as they really didn't talk about it. Everyone had to bear the pain and grief on their own. Brette, however, found solace in prayers, drawing and journaling.

My favorite aspect of this book is the painting with different colors. It made the book so lively and beautiful. Each chapter deals with a word, which is the title of the chapter. Some of the words discussed are comfort, light, faith, etc. The word is painted with beautiful colors, with a theme color which portrays the meaning of the word. Brette also added a prayer chart at the end of each chapter. It contains some items which could help during prayers. There were beautiful drawings throughout the book, you could see she loved drawing and is very good at it. For each word discussed in a chapter, there is a suitable scripture included.

It's nice she shared her experience but I felt she could have been more detailed. I would have liked to know how it all started, her journey while dealing with it and how she overcame in a more comprehensive way. It would have been more engaging if she included other people's stories relevant to what is being discussed.

She emphasized drawing and journaling more than prayer, which is the main theme of the book. I felt she would have given alternative ways to others who may not really enjoy journaling and painting. The book did not meet my expectations. It was not engrossing and it took me so long to finish it despite being a short book.

There is nothing to worry about concerning profanity and erotic scenes as this is a religious book. I observed no error in the book, therefore, it is exceptionally edited. I give Prayer is Good: A Path from Grief to Peace a rating of 3 out of 4 stars. I deducted a star because of the reasons stated above. People who are not of the Christian faith may not appreciate this book.

Prayer is Good: A Path from Grief to Peace
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”