Review by Alice Ngugi -- The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Alice Ngugi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-ngugi.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Review by Alice Ngugi -- The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by Alice Ngugi »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Fox" by M. N. J. Butler.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Perhaps, most historians have possibly heard about Ancient Greece. As Leotycides recounts, the Spartan Empire (located in Ancient Greece) was once a force to reckon with by opponents.

Cockerel (otherwise known as Leotycides/Leo) is the illegitimate son of King Agis II. He hasn’t come of age when his father dies after making a wish. He courteously asks his son not to split Sparta. Ironically, in his good days (healthy), King Agis II never regarded Leo as his son. Leo was then obliged to spend some of his childhood with King Pausinos, who also considered his son (Agesipolis) frivolous.

Agisalos (Leo’s other uncle) is egotistical. Noticing the opportunity, he profoundly convinces the jury that he deserves to take over the mantle of leadership. Citing Leo’s incapacity to serve, the Court falls for the trap.

As Leo recalls later, he fled to The Flock when Agisalos became the king. It is where boys were molded into capable and mettlesome men (to serve in the Spartan Army). While at the Flock, he gets acquainted with the Spartan culture (documented in the book) and becomes a stouthearted warrior. At the same time, Agisalos drives the empire into a crisis. Find out more about how the prowess of the once-resolute empire ebbs away by grabbing a copy of this book.

The Fox is narrated in the first-person perspective. The occurrences of events are in chronological order. I also appreciated the dialogues that gave the book a natural flow. It made the story easy to follow. The author deploys vivid descriptions in the majority of scenes. It gave me the chance to create the images in my mind. In particular, I adored the experience of the boys and men at The Flock. I pictured the mock battles staged quite often. As for character development, Butler did an incredible job. Leotycides was my favorite. Despite being a member of the royalty, he leaves the castle for The Flock. He is treated with respect for his benevolence, gallantry, and dauntlessness at The Flock, by his agemates.

I concluded that the book was proofread by a professional since I noticed a few typos/grammatical errors. As much as M.N.J. Butler provided a glossary containing the names of characters, the numerous personas make up for what I did not like most about the book. I had to refer to the table a couple of times (it prolonged the reading). This book is too lengthy. As a result, I experienced a concentration relapse. Again, the font used made my eyes strain. As a result, I had to zoom in whenever I was reading. I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. I deducted a point for the stated reasons.

I recommend this book to every historian. Although listed as historical fiction, it is illuminating. Light erotic scenes and profanity are present. Therefore, children should read it under parental guidance.

The Fox
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
riyosha
Currently Reading: Sapiens
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-riyosha.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by riyosha »

I love historical fiction, will look forward to reading it. Nice review :)
If your dreams don't scare you, they're not big enough
Olabode Joshua
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-olabode-joshua.html
Latest Review: Natural Born Gangster: The Legend of Chris Bell by C J H Moore
Reading Device: B0042D75TU

Post by Olabode Joshua »

I totally agree with you. I'm currently reading this book: it is too lengthy and boring in some parts. It's still a good read anyways. Nice review.
Remember, we are passers-by in this realm
Gabrielle Sigaki
Currently Reading: Business Basics BootCamp
Bookshelf Size: 279
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabrielle-sigaki.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Gabrielle Sigaki »

I already read some reviews about this book and it seems so gripping! I enjoy historical fiction stories. Thanks for the informative review! Great job.
Mutai Marshal
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 518
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mutai-marshal.html
Latest Review: Supercharge Your Production with 5 Time Management Hacks by Lucy Ledet

Post by Mutai Marshal »

There's plenty to learn about the Ancient Greece and am so much embroiled into the history of empires, especially Sparta. I'll definitely check this out. Thank you for a Thorough and honest review
Lisbeth Neverland
Currently Reading: Rivers of London
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisbeth-neverland.html
Latest Review: The Evolutionite Chronicles Book One: Dagger and Shadow Ninja by Timothy Callahan

Post by Lisbeth Neverland »

I've read a couple of reviews about this book, and everyone mentions The Flock, and I've been wondering what The Flock actually is. Thank you for explaining it :D
Alice Ngugi
Currently Reading:

Post by Alice Ngugi »

riyosha wrote: 02 Aug 2020, 13:29 I love historical fiction, will look forward to reading it. Nice review :)
Thankyou. I hope you enjoy
Alice Ngugi
Currently Reading:

Post by Alice Ngugi »

Lisbeth Neverland wrote: 03 Aug 2020, 12:15 I've read a couple of reviews about this book, and everyone mentions The Flock, and I've been wondering what The Flock actually is. Thank you for explaining it :D
I am glad I helped out! Thank you!!
Alice Ngugi
Currently Reading:

Post by Alice Ngugi »

Seroney_ wrote: 03 Aug 2020, 02:08 There's plenty to learn about the Ancient Greece and am so much embroiled into the history of empires, especially Sparta. I'll definitely check this out. Thank you for a Thorough and honest review
It was my utmost pleasure. It was one of the books that captured my attention. Thank you!
Alice Ngugi
Currently Reading:

Post by Alice Ngugi »

gabrielletiemi wrote: 02 Aug 2020, 18:13 I already read some reviews about this book and it seems so gripping! I enjoy historical fiction stories. Thanks for the informative review! Great job.
Thanks for your comment!
Alice Ngugi
Currently Reading:

Post by Alice Ngugi »

Olabode Joshua wrote: 02 Aug 2020, 16:25 I totally agree with you. I'm currently reading this book: it is too lengthy and boring in some parts. It's still a good read anyways. Nice review.
Thank you!
Alice Ngugi
Currently Reading:

Post by Alice Ngugi »

riyosha wrote: 02 Aug 2020, 13:29 I love historical fiction, will look forward to reading it. Nice review :)
Thank you!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”