Review by bawhite1029 -- East Wind, 2nd edition

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
bawhite1029
Favorite Book: East Wind, 2nd edition
Currently Reading: Devil Among Us
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bawhite1029.html
Latest Review: East Wind, 2nd edition by Jack Winnick
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA

Review by bawhite1029 -- East Wind, 2nd edition

Post by bawhite1029 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "East Wind, 2nd edition" by Jack Winnick.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

This book is Author Jack Winnick’s first in a series about the Lara and Uri saga. East Wind is a historical-fiction action-thriller about a Hezbollah jihadist group that communicates plans to orchestrate attacks on the United States through a university web site. Uri, a member of Mossad, along with Lara, an FBI agent, work together on decoding terrorist web pages to stay a-step-ahead of the foreign foes. There is plenty of action as the good guys strategically travel across the country working black-ops missions to stop any American bloodshed as the Hezbollah terrorists go to great lengths in planning every detail to keep their movements under the radar.

Author Jack Winnick has worked in the nuclear industry and is an expert on Middle East affairs. The knowledge Jack interjects into the book brings more than just a glimpse of reality, as I am sure there are many terrorist attacks that are foiled but never revealed to US citizens. The events that occur in the book East Wind, although fictional, could occur on any day at any time.

I thought it clever how the author did not reveal the significance of the title until you are about halfway thru the book. I appreciate that this book has increased my knowledge of the Middle Eastern countries, their people, culture, and beliefs. The Israeli Prime Minister’s quote, “We will have peace with the Arabs when they love their children more than they hate ours” is so simple and so true. There was nothing specific I did not like about the book.

Anyone who desires to get a glimpse into the never-ending tensions between the US and Middle Eastern terrorist groups with a blooming romance in the mix, then this is not only a book for you but a series of books for you. There were no dull moments. I cheered for the good guys, horrified by the terrorist, enjoyed the tender moments, and snickered at the know-it-all characters.

There is a brief erotic scene, but the narrative was in good taste and discreet. There are some explicit gory descriptions, such as, “… sliced open his abdomen, slimy organs spilling from the still-living corpse.” There is no vulgar language. Since this book goes into some detail on how to plan a terrorist attack, there is some concern that a reader may try to emulate these actions. Then again, there are books available that show step-by-step how to build a bomb.

East Wind offers a riveting plot, believable characters, and due to the reality of the events, I am led to rate the book 4 out of 4 stars. I found a few errors, but it appears to have been professionally edited.

East Wind, 2nd edition
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”