Review by gabrielletiemi -- Gringo

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Gabrielle Sigaki
Currently Reading: Business Basics BootCamp
Bookshelf Size: 279
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabrielle-sigaki.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Review by gabrielletiemi -- Gringo

Post by Gabrielle Sigaki »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Gringo" by Dan "Tito" Davis.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Gringo by Dan “Tito” Davis is the biography of a fugitive of the United States. Since young, the idea of making money captivated him. He started selling an amphetamine drug that was considered legal, the White Cross. In the beginning, he sold it to only a few students at university, but the demand grew quickly, and he had to get more supplies. Soon he was dealing with other drugs and with dangerous people. Suddenly, Marvin, an old friend, betrayed his trust, and he had no other choice than to run away. He was framed for the crime of selling methamphetamine, which he didn’t commit, but the facts didn’t matter since the police were already searching for him since his White Crosses business.

In this book, the author narrates the situations he passed through in his life as a fugitive. Tito shows details about his loves, his struggles to get a new passport and to stay away from policemen, but he also discusses the wrong decisions he did in this way.

My favorite part of this biography was the author’s honesty. He wrote about even the most sensitive aspects of his runaway story. When he recalls he did something that could make him get captured or that could harm him, he would say “gringo stupido.” Tito talks about his opinions and feelings openly, such as when he tells how he felt when he had to leave his family. Besides, he tells some situations when he made mistakes and dealt with other illegal drugs, such as weed and cocaine. However, he also talks proudly of some of his decisions, for instance, when he decided to stay sober for his entire life.

There’s nothing I disliked in this book. It seems professionally edited, and I found only a few minor errors that didn’t interrupt my reading. The author’s style includes the reader. Tito writes and asks questions like he is talking directly to you. This feature makes the story even more gripping and dynamic. He makes the reader feel like witnessing the entire scene with his remarkable descriptions.

Therefore, I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. It’s an impressive and detailed biography of Tito’s life. I don’t recommend it to young readers since it has a lot of profane words and erotic content. I also don't suggest it to people sensitive to the themes of drugs, violence, crime, and prostitution. But I recommend this book to adults who enjoy reading dynamic biographies.

Gringo
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: The Islands Tell Of It by Patty Fischer

Post by Ellylion »

Sounds like a pretty much unique biography :) I would love to give it a try, thanks for a great review!
Vic Chimezie
Currently Reading: Twisted Threads
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vic-chimezie.html
Latest Review: All The Good Little Girls Keep Quiet by K. Kibbee

Post by Vic Chimezie »

This is the second review I have read of this book. I think I would love to read it too. I enjoyed reading your review as it was both detailed and insightful and engaging. Good job!
Gabrielle Sigaki

Ellylion wrote: 28 Jul 2020, 11:54 Sounds like a pretty much unique biography :) I would love to give it a try, thanks for a great review!
It's really unique, I've never read a biography of a fugitive before this book. I hope you enjoy the book! Thanks for passing by and commenting!
Gabrielle Sigaki

Vic Chimezie wrote: 28 Jul 2020, 12:13 This is the second review I have read of this book. I think I would love to read it too. I enjoyed reading your review as it was both detailed and insightful and engaging. Good job!
Thanks for the kind words! I'm glad you enjoyed reading my review. I hope you also enjoy this book. It's very interesting.
Leen282
Currently Reading: Live Your Life of Abundance
Bookshelf Size: 132
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leen282.html
Latest Review: Beautifully Scarred by Cewanda Todd

Post by Leen282 »

The review reads like a drama or crime book, amazing that this is a biography.
Elvis Best
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elvis-best.html
Latest Review: Teething Problems by Mark Fletcher

Post by Elvis Best »

I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book. I am glad you enjoyed it too. Great review!
"People are like stained-glass windows. They sparkle and shine when the sun is out, but when the darkness sets in, their true beauty is revealed only if there is a light from within." -Elisabeth Kubler-Ross
Gabrielle Sigaki

Leen282 wrote: 28 Jul 2020, 14:32 The review reads like a drama or crime book, amazing that this is a biography.
It really seems like a fiction book, it has indeed a lot of action, drama, crime, suspense. Thanks for commenting!
Gabrielle Sigaki

Elvis Best wrote: 28 Jul 2020, 16:12 I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book. I am glad you enjoyed it too. Great review!
It's amazing. Thanks for reading my review and commenting.
Lisbeth Neverland
Currently Reading: Rivers of London
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisbeth-neverland.html
Latest Review: The Evolutionite Chronicles Book One: Dagger and Shadow Ninja by Timothy Callahan

Post by Lisbeth Neverland »

Leen282 wrote: 28 Jul 2020, 14:32 The review reads like a drama or crime book, amazing that this is a biography.
It definitely does. I think this is one of the few times that I'll actually be interested in reading a biography.
A Y reviews
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-a-y-reviews.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by A Y reviews »

I I this book already. It can also serve as good one to learn from too. Plus It takes a brave and honest person to write about his wrongs and go on to admit them. Great review
Gabrielle Sigaki

Lisbeth Neverland wrote: 29 Jul 2020, 05:35
It definitely does. I think this is one of the few times that I'll actually be interested in reading a biography.
I'm glad you got interested in this book. It's really a nice biography. Thanks for reading my review and commenting!
Gabrielle Sigaki

A Y reviews wrote: 29 Jul 2020, 08:32 I I this book already. It can also serve as good one to learn from too. Plus It takes a brave and honest person to write about his wrongs and go on to admit them. Great review
I agree with you, the author does admit he made wrong decisions. Thanks for reading my review and for the kind comment!
Damis Seres Rodriguez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-damis.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Damis Seres Rodriguez »

Sounds like quite an interesting read! I hope I get to read the book soon. Great review!
Gabrielle Sigaki

damis wrote: 29 Jul 2020, 13:22 Sounds like quite an interesting read! I hope I get to read the book soon. Great review!
It is indeed fascinating. I hope you enjoy it! Thanks for passing by and commenting!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”