Review by Delaney35 -- Worldlines by Adam Guest

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Delaney35
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 61
Currently Reading: All the Light We Cannot See
Bookshelf Size: 126
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-delaney35.html
Latest Review: That's My Sister by Roxanne Rhaman

Review by Delaney35 -- Worldlines by Adam Guest

Post by Delaney35 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Worldlines" by Adam Guest.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Worldlines by Adam Guest is a dive into the theory of multiple dimensions or Worldlines. Guest bases this book on the idea that for each event that happens to a person, there is a world where each possible outcome exists. These alternate lines of events each exist, and the main character of the novel, Gary, manages to reach across the Worldlines by lucid dreaming. He has a lucid dream in which he commits a grievous murder. Gary then learns his lucid dream caused another version of him to actually commit the murder, causing him to become obsessed with helping the other version of himself. His story is told through different versions of himself, and they are all told in first-person. This allows the reader to experience the same life through many similar, yet very different lenses.

This book bounces around the different Worldlines and tells the story of many versions of Gary. However, it is never unclear which version of Gary’s story is being told. The shifting point of view kept the narrative interesting as the repercussions of events were played out in differing storylines. The moving point of view was my favorite part.

The characterization was also excellent. Each Gary was different, though similar at the same time. It was fascinating to see how differing circumstances changed the same character. For example, in some Worldlines, Gary had been hurt in a lorry accident while others he escaped unharmed. That one event drastically changed Gary’s life, and seeing how it played out in each circumstance was interesting. It also made the characters well-developed. The other characters were also well-written. Even the minor characters all had a purpose and some development. A lot of the depth of the characters came from the differences between the storylines.

This book appeared to have been professionally edited. I only noticed a few small issues, and they did not impact the readability of this novel.

There was nothing I truly disliked about this book. Therefore, I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. Those who are interested in the idea of multiple dimensions would find this book interesting. In addition, those who are interested in how the outcomes of specific events can change an individual would find this book a good read. There was no profane language and no mature scenes in this book either. I highly recommend reading this book if you are the type that likes to explore the possibility of more abstract scientific theories brought into everyday life.

Worldlines
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”