Review by taylornsipp15 -- Guardian of Deceit

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
taylornsipp15
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-taylornsipp15.html
Latest Review: Guardian of Deceit by William H. Coles

Review by taylornsipp15 -- Guardian of Deceit

Post by taylornsipp15 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Guardian of Deceit" by William H. Coles.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Guardian of Deceit by William H. Coles is the story of a young boy named Darwin, and his ties to his new guardian Luther and the many people that orbit them. Overtime, Darwin will meet several new people that change his life and mold him in different ways. Sometimes for the better, sometimes for the worst. As he gets older, he learns things are not always as they seem or even as they should be. These revelations are ultimately and unfortunately a reality for many people, which adds to the level of realism in the story.

I gave this book 4 out of 4 stars. This is largely because the human condition was portrayed so flawlessly. The editing was spot on as well. The "human condition" is a concept that encompasses everything dealing with being human and the ups and downs of our existence. As the complex beings we are, I find it striking whenever an author can really etch a picture of reality into your mind. The topics that were explored in the novel, were very hard-hitting and much needed for exposure to the pitfalls of human life.

This book is best suited for young adults, but older adults can appreciate the wisdom and life lessons from the very complicated, but genuine characters involved. These intense situations can really help young readers find closure and solace in the fact that what they may be experiencing, is not unique to them. That whatever negative things they may be facing, they know that these situations are a part of life. This book not only shows the dark side of humanity, but it gives the reader permission to react in a human way to the unfortunate things that happen in life, because it gives the characters that same green light.

Although the author made the main character very young at first, he really came into his own as he got older, and the content matured with him. I would classify this as a coming of age tale, but I wouldn't recommend it for anyone under 18 years old. College-aged readers and beyond would get the most from this novel considering the gritty content. The amount of raw emotion and powerful close-knit relationships in this novel was very interesting to read. However, I still don't believe a reader under age 18 should read this book.

Overall, I found the word play in this book to be very enticing and full of substance. This is the second book I've read from Coles, and it was amazing! He put so much life and heart into his writing, which is what readers like myself can appreciate. I would definitely read another one of his novels. They are so addicting!

Guardian of Deceit
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”