Review by Faithmwangi -- The Juicy Fruit Man by LaMar Going

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Faithmwangi
2019 Reading Goal: 30
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 66
2018 Reading Goal: 50
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 40
Currently Reading: Empowered
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-faithmwangi.html
Latest Review: The Juicy Fruit Man by LaMar Going

Review by Faithmwangi -- The Juicy Fruit Man by LaMar Going

Post by Faithmwangi »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Juicy Fruit Man" by LaMar Going.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Declan Noakes was a simple guy. It didn’t take a lot to satisfy him. Provided he had family and his smoke he was good to go. He preferred to be on the road traveling from place to as opposed to settling down. This meant he had no permanent residence, no wife and kids, and no car. Life after war was not easy. Vietnam had snatched away his innocence and any chance of good night sleep. The demons in his dreams drove him crazy and sleeping felt like a chore. Life wasn’t so bad until trouble showed up at his cousin’s doorstep. To secure his future he left Vietnam with more than a ton of marijuana. But now his ‘friend’ and a couple of rogue cops wanted it for themselves. All this takes place in The Juicy Fruit Man, a book written by Lamar Going.

I found the simplicity in this read captivating. It is a classic case of friendship that turned sour. Someone Declan considered a brother turned on him just to enrich himself. It goes to show just how untrustworthy people have become. It also shows the love of family and how far we are willing to go to protect those we love. When Rachel is backed against a corner she makes a move that changes her life forever.

The first thing that drew me to the book was the cover. It contains images of marijuana which plays a big role in the events that unfold. The juicy fruit is another name for Thai marijuana, a type of weed that was preferred by most Americans. It was cheap, ubiquitous, and had an overpowering sweet and pungent odor. Another thing that I noticed was Declan’s good nature. His first instinct was to help those in need when a crisis occurred. Despite his many flaws, he was still compassionate. This made me love his character the most. I disliked the fact that he became a target for some greedy individuals.

To help the reader understand some of the present events the author would use flashback to show what happened in the past. This was mostly seen when he described the soldiers’ lives in Vietnam. The author also used different themes in the development of this book. They include; death, family, love, and betrayal. The book was well edited as I only encountered one error. I gladly award this read 4 out of 4 stars.

It was my first time reading the author’s work and I was impressed. The characters were well developed and it was easy to see why they reacted the way they did. This read will appeal to those who love thrillers and crime based novels. It contains a bit of killing and those who don’t care for such should steer clear of it.

The Juicy Fruit Man
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
"Reading is essential for those who seek to rise above the ordinary.” – Jim Rohn

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”