Review by Cynthia_Oluchi -- Mixed Blessings by J.M. Muse

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Cynthia_Oluchi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cynthia-oluchi.html
Latest Review: Masters and Bastards by Christopher J. Penington

Review by Cynthia_Oluchi -- Mixed Blessings by J.M. Muse

Post by Cynthia_Oluchi »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Mixed Blessings" by J.M. Muse.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

“The hysteria in Los Angeles points to the changing meaning of blackness. Some see this demographic change as a threat. Others see it as freedom. We must embrace it.”

Is race real?

Kimberly is expected to be sincere with her answer to the authorities before her but how sincere can she really be? She obviously does not understand the question, ‘do you consider yourself white, black, brown, or others?’ Maybe she didn't really want to satisfy the obvious craving in their eyes. Stubborn Kim! Having mixed blood of Mexico and America, does Kim falls into the category of ‘others’?

Undoubtedly, Star will take the crown home this year. She's been wonderful in all the stages, and her presentations are perfect. However, the problem is her hair—it isn't just straight enough! How much does this affect her dream of becoming the Beauty Queen of the year?

Jeremy is a black boy with white skin. If he had black skin, would he survive the previous night? This question stirs lots of opinions about race which are dissected in this book.

Is race real?

Mixed Blessings by J.M. Muse is a beautiful piece of literature that could help you wrap your head around this question. The book is a well-structured 321 pages of lesson-packed stories and discoveries about race and racism. With 42 chapters, the author brings his well-done homework under visible light. I really enjoyed reading this book.

One major thing I learned from this book is the different makeup and features of different races, especially as perceived by people of other races. For instance, thick lips, curly hair, and broad nostrils are used to identify people of a particular color, while the opposite could easily be related to people of the opposite color. Before now, I never understood how this could affect the overall demography of a nation. I did after reading this book. The exposition is the most interesting part for me.

I appreciate that the author was able to draw a single line through his stories to satisfy the overall theme of the book. I was thrilled at how he weaved his different storylines into a quite comprehensive end.

However, I must give a warning bell about the high use of profane words and of course, a few sex scenes. These make this book inappropriate for younger readers and people who do not fancy such content. Nevertheless, there are loads of lessons from here.

It's good I also mention that this one is suitable for all people, irrespective of one's religious belief. This book is professionally edited; I found only a few punctuation and typographic errors. They, however, did very little at affecting my overall flow with the book.

Due clearly to these reasons mentioned above, I rate Mixed Blessings by J. M. Muse 3 out of 4 stars. The one star is deducted due to the inability of young readers to enjoy the content of this book without cringing at the profanity as contained. I recommend to all lovers of a new box of knowledge.

Mixed Blessings
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”