Review by Nerea -- The Flower Girl Murder

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Nerea
Bookshelves Moderator
2019 Reading Goal: 15
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 166
2018 Reading Goal: 10
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 80
Favorite Author: William H. Coles
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 418
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nerea.html
Latest Review: The Flower Girl Murder by Keith Hirshland
fav_author_id: 89641

Review by Nerea -- The Flower Girl Murder

Post by Nerea »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Flower Girl Murder" by Keith Hirshland.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Daisy Burns (also The Flower Girl) had a child called Teri, who she abandoned while she was still young and didn’t bother to know of her well-being. She met with George Burns, and they started a new life together. Things turned gloomy when Daisy’s body was “found near the Dumpsters behind the Planned Parenthood office in North Carolina.”

Allen was a cop involved in the investigation of Daisy’s murder case. He was puzzled by the cause of death. He devoted his time and other resources to find the murderer. As a “newsman” or a journalist, Lancaster Heart was requested by Allen to feature Daisy’s murder case in the news, an idea that Allen hoped would help capture the perpetrator quickly.

The loss brought devastation to Daisy’s family and friends. The efforts to find the murderer was overwhelming and resource consuming. Daisy’s death brought anxiety, shock, and fear. Out of all the murder cases in the area, this particular one seemed to be unique and mysterious. Who murdered Daisy? And why?

The Flower Girl Murder by Keith Hirshland is a mysterious and engaging crime thriller revolving around the murder of Daisy. The plot is attention-grabbing and comprehensively developed. There are numerous characters in the story whose backstories are well-detailed. The backstories of the characters season the narrative. The only challenge with this feature is that the reader can easily lose track of the story if they are not extra keen when reading the book.

I’m not sure of how I feel about relationships and marriage, but Lancaster Heart and Brodie’s relationship earned my respect. (Brodie was Lancaster’s fiancé). I liked how Heart respected Brodie’s parents and showed unconditional love to Brodie. It made me realize that true love does exist in a world that might seem hard to find love. Additionally, executing his role as a boss at his dad’s Broadcasting Company revealed Heart’s character experience.

Teri’s role brought tension. I was anxious reading through her parts because I couldn’t predict her next move. She was raised by foster parents who took good care of her, but she turned out to be cold-hearted, dramatic, and violent. Moreover, I found her relationship with her ‘cousin’ Tanner unusual. But it added fascination to the story.

The author used the third-person perspective in his narration conversationally. He included dialogues between characters, which allows the reader to understand better the mind of the characters. I detected instances of sexual references, gruesome scenes, and obscene terms. Children and readers who find the traits offensive will not enjoy reading the book.

I did not trace grammatical errors in the material, which suggests the purity of the writing. The sub-stories blended well with the main plot. I commend the author for that. The sub-stories featured themes like journalism, legal developments, relationships, family, and rental properties. I like the author’s way of presenting thoughts because the reader can capture every detail of the events. Moreover, the lesson that I drew from the story is that death is an enemy that inflicts severe pain to the victims’ families. I have nothing against the book. I award the book a 4 out of 4 stars.

Readers looking for a gripping and mysterious crime story will find the book appealing.

The Flower Girl Murder
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
"Regular reading improves your grammar."

J_odoyo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 76
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-j-odoyo.html
Latest Review: The Two Worlds in Which we Live Physical and Spiritual by Evelyn Rozier

Post by J_odoyo »

I'm not really a fan of mysterious and engaging crime thrillers, but from your review I can tell this is a wonderful book. I like it that the plot is attention-grabbing and comprehensively developed. Thanks for this incredible review!
The more books you read the more choices you have
– Toni Morrison

Kirsi_78
2019 Reading Goal: 30
Currently Reading: Profiles in Kindness
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kirsi-78.html
Latest Review: Sandra Eden's War by Michael Low

Post by Kirsi_78 »

The author has obviously created some very interesting characters. I am not a big fan of crime thrillers but nevertheless, this book sounds like something I would like to read. I can’t wait to find out what happened to Daisy.

Oh, and I am glad the book helped you to believe in true love, because it does exist 😉 thanks for a great review!

Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Ellylion »

I like mystery thrillers and will definitely give this one a try :) I always appreciate well developed characters in a crime novel. Thank you for a great review!

Marion Jepkosgei
2019 Reading Goal: 30
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marion-jepkosgei.html
Latest Review: Randy the Irresistible by S M Goodier

Post by Marion Jepkosgei »

I love mystery thrillers. I am definitely going to add it in my library. Amazing review.

Honest-reviewer
Currently Reading: The Monk Who Sold His Ferrari
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-honest-reviewer.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Honest-reviewer »

I love reading murder mysteries. I’m sure I’ll like this book. Thanks for your wonderful review.

Susmita Biswas
Currently Reading: Realm Journey
Bookshelf Size: 390
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-susmita-biswas.html
Latest Review: Sandra Eden's War by Michael Low

Post by Susmita Biswas »

Looks like a suspicious and fun read. I like murder mystery a lot. Great review.
Susmita Roy :techie-studyinggray:

Dominik_G
Currently Reading: Wrong
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dominik-g.html
Latest Review: Wellness Toolbox by Don Roberts

Post by Dominik_G »

The Flower Girl Murder sounds like a gripping, well-executed crime story with detailed characters. I think I'd enjoy it. Thank you for your great review!

Phelicia Gloria
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-phelicia-gloria.html
Latest Review: Last Words from Above by Jeremy Brown

Post by Phelicia Gloria »

This seems to be a very interesting novel. I'll consider reading it in the future great review.

riyosha
Currently Reading: Sapiens
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-riyosha.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by riyosha »

Thanks for the review
If your dreams don't scare you, they're not big enough

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”