Review by JGretz-7 -- Mock My Words by Chandra Shekhar

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
JGretz-7
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading: The Formative Five
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jgretz-7.html
Latest Review: Mock My Words by Chandra Shekhar
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Review by JGretz-7 -- Mock My Words by Chandra Shekhar

Post by JGretz-7 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Mock My Words" by Chandra Shekhar.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

While author Chandra Shekhar has written many short stories, Mock My Words is his first novel. Shekhar's previous life experiences in the high-tech world of artificial intelligence are well-represented in the book when a massive data breach leaks private information. This scenario is enough to make me cringe just thinking of the havoc that this would cause.

Mock My Words follows three primary characters through their trials and tribulations. First, we meet David Tan, a very mild-mannered gentleman from China that speaks in broken English but is considered a literary genius. He is embarking on a new career, teaching creative writing at John Steinbeck University. Next up is Laura, David's wife. Laura is the complete opposite of David. She's outspoken, headstrong, and facing a no-win situation when she's forced to take on a public relations nightmare for SliceMedia, a digital cloud company. Melissa rounds out the trio. Melissa is a student who seeks David's assistance at the Word Repair Center. She and her business partner have a brilliant new invention and need assistance with their business plan.

Shekhar blends the three plot lines beautifully with his well-developed characters. I have to admit that I had to examine my own bias in regards to gender roles. I didn't warm to the characters of David and Laura immediately because of it. However, Shekhar provides flashbacks of the characters' lives that help to see why they may behave the way they do, which changed my opinion of them. He also promotes the value of friends to assist in getting through life's tough spots.

Due to the multiple components within the story, it can be considered to fall within several genres. I would recommend it to anyone who likes novels about finding oneself, friendship, romance, mysteries, and it even has a little drama thrown in with corporate espionage.

Even though I consider myself to have an extensive vocabulary, the one thing I liked least about Mock My Words was the heavy use of uncommon words, such as bonhomie, uxorious, detritus, and nadirs. I was glad that I was reading on an electronic device so that I could quickly get the meaning within context. However, Mock My Words deserves four out of four stars for its plot and character intricacies and professional editing.

Mock My Words
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”