Review by Laura Bach -- Dynomike: Pay It Forward

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Laura Bach
Favorite Book: The Book Thief
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 834
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laura-bach.html
Latest Review: Dynomike: Pay It Forward by Frankie B. Rabbit

Review by Laura Bach -- Dynomike: Pay It Forward

Post by Laura Bach »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Dynomike: Pay It Forward" by Frankie B. Rabbit.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Dynomike: Pay it forward by Frankie B. Rabbit is a delightful children’s book, filled with radiant images created by Don Suratos. It teaches kids that helping others without expecting something in return is what matters. That’s a hard lesson for adults, who always expect to get something, so learning the concept of ‘paying it forward’ as a child could impact one later in life. Although he’s having a bad day, our main character, Dynomike, decides to help his friend, Spunky, with his banana cart, which triggers a chain of events.

Dynomike: Pay it forward is the tenth installment in the Dynomike Teaches series. All the books in this series are trying to imprint valuable lessons on children, especially related to their emotions, self-esteem, and friendship. They are perfect bedtime stories for children of kindergarten age.

The characters are different types of animals. I assume that kids will love Dynomike at first sight because they tend to love dinosaurs. In an interview, the author said that Dynomike was the name he gave to his stuffed animal from childhood. The other characters are also fun to analyze. Because of the book’s shortness, the characters don’t get much exposure, but I appreciate their facial expressions, that match the situation. It could also be a fun activity to ask children about what facial expressions mean.

Since it has a small number of pages with very little text, the book seems better suited for small children. It’s organized in rhyme, with a catchphrase that makes the lesson fun to remember, and causes the characters to do good in return: “You’re welcome. No need to repay. Just pay it forward. Help someone today.” I like that the book also teaches good manners, like saying “Sorry” and “Thank you”.

I don’t tend to read children’s books, but basing a book on such a marvelous idea makes it impossible to refuse. I have to say that I was reluctant when I first saw the characters on the cover because I kept thinking that a child would be confused by the ambiguous creatures. However, after I put some thought into it, I realized that children have a wild imagination, and they often come up with strange shapes for animals. What lured me to this book was the quality of the illustrations. The bright colors reminded me of old cartoons, making this book visually pleasant for kids and adults.

What seems contradictory to me is the fact that the cat, which unfortunately doesn’t get a name, made a mess, thus causing Chef Wiggles to have to clean. Because the cat made the mess, I wouldn’t count her sweeping as a good deed, but better as a civic responsibility. I want a child to see the difference between a good deed and an obligation, which this particular part of the book didn’t accomplish. For this reason, and the fact that the cat is the only character without a name, I’m going to take a star away from the rating.

I’m pleased to say that the book is professionally edited, so my rating is going to be 3 out of 4 stars. Dynomike: Pay it forward presents a great opportunity for parents and educators to teach children about the importance of helping others. With one exception, the book fairly accomplishes that purpose. I was able to enjoy it and get a positive vibe that made me want to help someone today. I hope it manages to do that to all its readers.

Dynomike: Pay It Forward
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Elvis Best
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elvis-best.html
Latest Review: Henge by Laurence Tysoe

Post by Elvis Best »

I read this book some time ago and thoroughly enjoyed it. I never really thought about the messy scene with cat, but thank you for bringing my mind to it. Great review!
"People are like stained-glass windows. They sparkle and shine when the sun is out, but when the darkness sets in, their true beauty is revealed only if there is a light from within." -Elisabeth Kubler-Ross

Lizziemarcel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lizziemarcel.html
Latest Review: Dynomike: Pay It Forward by Frankie B. Rabbit

Post by Lizziemarcel »

I'm pleased to come check out your review when I realized it's the book I'm currently writing a review on. The book is quite educating for both adult and children, and have a lot to teach younger minds. The graphics and pictures are top notch.
Thanks for a great review.

Vic Chimezie
Currently Reading: Job Searching in Pandemic Times
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vic-chimezie.html
Latest Review: Winning the Game of Work by Terry Boyle mcDougall

Post by Vic Chimezie »

Wow! Such a colorful book. A good one for teachers and kids. I enjoyed reading your review. Good job!

AvidBibliophile
Currently Reading: Chameleons
Bookshelf Size: 221
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-avidbibliophile.html
Latest Review: Mrs. White’s SUB SNIPS by Laura Moss White

Post by AvidBibliophile »

I’ve read this one too, and that banana cart certainly had a mind of its own! So many marvelous ideas and phrases often accompany the illustrations in these “Dynomike” books, I can see why they’ve earned the popularity they have. Thanks for your insightful review!

Juliet+1
Favorite Book: The Elephants of Style
Currently Reading: Remove After Flight
Bookshelf Size: 297
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliet-1.html
Latest Review: Surviving Anstey by Susan Hancock

Post by Juliet+1 »

I'm glad to see the book uses rhyme. Small children usually adore rhymes, and it helps to make the lesson stick. Great job with the review! :D

Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: Plum Rains on Happy House by Michael A. Greco

Post by Ellylion »

Paying it forward is such a great principle, and I'm really glad this lovely book teaches children about it :) Thank you for a great review!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”