Review by Pearl Akpan -- Shifting Sands by Barry Litherland

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Pearl Akpan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pearl-akpan.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Flesh of the Mind by Matthew Tysz

Review by Pearl Akpan -- Shifting Sands by Barry Litherland

Post by Pearl Akpan »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Shifting Sands" by Barry Litherland.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Barry Litherland’s Shifting Sands delivers a perfectly executed and thrilling mystery. It is indeed a superb book with no shortage of suspense and behind-the-scenes perpetration of evil. Philip Tyler, a journalist for a local newspaper, the Evening Post finds himself at cross roads after hearing Winston’s story. Despite the unpredictability that threads Winston personality, this particular story strikes a chord so firm it leaves an echo in Philip’s mind, an urge to discover the truth.

Every step to discovering this truth unfolds newer but connected bits of mystery which all make sense to Philip when he meets Wendy, another victim and the only person who holds the key to unlocking the mystery beneath Westleigh Hall. Stuck between his growing attraction for Wendy and the reoccurring threat to his life, Philip is faced with two choices: to back down or try his luck at exposing the dangerous scheme behind Westleigh Hall.

Shifting Sands is an interesting read. I appreciate the author’s attention towards carefully organizing the events and rising actions leading up to the climax of the book. His descriptive technique is impeccable and well-crafted to evoke raw sense and feeling of suspense and thrill throughout this book. The sense of carefreeness which the writer employs through the characters of Winston, Benny and Slattery creates a good balance with the fast paced rising actions and events that occurs almost successively in this book.

Notably, this book ends in a very reassuring note and I appreciate the technique employed in ending this thriller. Reason being that, there is no closed or absolute ending, rather, the writer leaves room for the reader to continue in their imagination and assume their personal most worthy ending. This book is exciting, fear gripping and very thrilling to read. It accurately captures the reader’s focus and holds on to it till the end. I would rate this book 4 out of 4 stars as in my opinion, it has been exceptionally written and well edited.

Readers who enjoy mystery laced and suspense filled books would find this book very engaging and appreciate the overall organization of the plot. Nevertheless, I would not recommend this book to readers that are sensitive to violence and vulgarism which are employed in this book. I would also not recommend this book to children and minors due to the visible theme of violence and threat employed in this book.

Shifting Sands
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Damis Seres Rodriguez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-damis.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Damis Seres Rodriguez »

This sounds like the kind of book I would love to read. Amazing review!
Teele
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teele.html
Latest Review: More Hype Than Glory by Tom Hyde

Post by Teele »

. I appreciate the author’s attention towards carefully organizing the events and rising actions leading up to the climax of the book
A very useful skill. Great review.
Pearl Akpan
Currently Reading:

Post by Pearl Akpan »

damis wrote: 29 Jul 2020, 13:27 This sounds like the kind of book I would love to read. Amazing review!
It is and it’d be totally worth it, I promise.
Pearl Akpan
Currently Reading:

Post by Pearl Akpan »

Teele wrote: 30 Jul 2020, 19:38
. I appreciate the author’s attention towards carefully organizing the events and rising actions leading up to the climax of the book
A very useful skill. Great review.
I couldn’t agree less. Thank you!
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Connie Otwani »

there is no closed or absolute ending, rather, the writer leaves room for the reader to continue in their imagination and assume their personal most worthy ending.
Sometimes this can be unsatisfactory but looks like this author got it right. The book sounds gripping and exciting. Great review!
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
Pearl Akpan
Currently Reading:

Post by Pearl Akpan »

Cotwani wrote: 22 Aug 2020, 06:37
there is no closed or absolute ending, rather, the writer leaves room for the reader to continue in their imagination and assume their personal most worthy ending.
Sometimes this can be unsatisfactory but looks like this author got it right. The book sounds gripping and exciting. Great review!
I totally agree with you. I loved that it was more open than unsatisfactory. Thank you so much
Justine Ocsebio
Currently Reading: Dancing Under The Stars
Bookshelf Size: 244
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-justine-ocsebio.html
Latest Review: A Secret Life by Mina Bancheva

Post by Justine Ocsebio »

This sounds like the kind of book that would keep you at the edge of your seat. Thanks for this incredible review!
Pearl Akpan
Currently Reading:

Post by Pearl Akpan »

lavenderbooks20 wrote: 29 Aug 2020, 06:54 This sounds like the kind of book that would keep you at the edge of your seat. Thanks for this incredible review!
Thank you for stopping by!
viczboy16
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-viczboy16.html
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud

Post by viczboy16 »

Sounds like an interesting read. I find books with mystery laced with suspense fascinating, look forward to reading this.
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud
SweetSourSalty AndSpicy
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sweetsoursalty-andspicy.html
Latest Review: The Past Speaks by Geoff McCue

Post by SweetSourSalty AndSpicy »

No closed or absolute ending. Is it a hint of a sequel? Thanks for the review.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”