Review by AnnOgochukwu -- The Legacy of Job's Wife

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
AnnOgochukwu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 91
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annogochukwu.html
Latest Review: Our Autumn Years by Arthur Hartz

Review by AnnOgochukwu -- The Legacy of Job's Wife

Post by AnnOgochukwu »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Legacy of Job's Wife" by Cynthia Koelker.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Legacy Of Job's Wife is a novel that is adapted from a book of the Bible, the book of Job. Cynthia J. Kolker presents the story from the first-person perspective of Job's wife. The author presents a plausible and elaborate account of the life of Job's wife, who the Bible mentions but once. And as the author rightly stated in her Acknowledgment, the charterers surely had hopes and dreams beyond what was recorded in the Bible. Hence this book can be said to be a fictional account of a non-fictional story.

Five-year-old Job loved Ix'ises from the moment he held her, just after she was brought into the world. He called her 'Ix'ises,' for he said, 'her eyes are beautiful.' And from then, they became best friends. Ix'ises is an adorable and adventurous little child who loves music. Her childhood revolves around taking care of her twin sisters and her youngest brother, B'nahram, and adventuring with Job and B'nahram. When Job reaches adulthood, the Magistrate of the city offers him a job to be the city's trade representative to other cities.

Job's departure leaves Ix'ises less occupied and lonely, so she decides to join her father on his caravans (trade travels), in the company of B'nahram. During the course of her trade travels with her father, Ix'ises runs into Job occasionally. However, Job grows more distant with each brief meeting, departing to his next destination before Ix'ises had even spoken with him. Ix'ises becomes depressed because of Job's attitude. She had always imagined that she would get married to Job, whom she has loved since she was a little girl. Doubt sets in and Ix'ises contemplates dedicating her life to music just like her aunty Zhabella. On the verge of announcing this weighty decision to her family, Job finally professes his obvious love and asks for Ix'ises' hand in marriage.

Their marriage could be called a match made in heaven; a tender and perfect love story. Job's wealth expanded over the years as God blessed him abundantly with ten children; seven sons and three daughters. Soon, Job's fame as the richest man in Uz is known in lands beyond Uz. He was also known for his philanthropy. When Job's sons come of age, he builds each of them a house. Job's sons usually took turns in hosting their siblings to parties. After such parties, Job would offer sacrifices to God - just as he had learnt from his father - to atone for whatever sin his children might have committed against God. Job served God with all his heart and means. Now, Ix'ises wasn't brought up in the way of Job's God, she found His ways difficult to comprehend and she felt the animal sacrifices to this God were unjustified. Nonetheless, she soon learnt to accept Job's God and share Job's belief. Whatever belief or trust Ix'ises had started to have in God was shattered the fateful day everything she had disappeared in the twinkling of an eye; her livestock, her laborers, even her children. Everything, save her husband. And soon, she watched her beloved husband, Job, decay right before her eyes.

'Curse God and die,' These were the words of a broken woman who awaited death, but alas, even death had forsaken her after stealing her essence of life. And with these words was she forever remembered and judged. I, for one, am guilty of this. I so easily dismissed Job's wife as a woman of little faith. Perhaps it was because the biblical version of Job's story had very little to say about her; or because I had never imagined her as a person with feelings, having a past and a future, with dreams and plans. Putting myself in her shoes now, I can only think, 'I might have said worse.' The Legacy Of Job's Wife is a book intended to help people appreciate the biblical story of Job better. It gives an insight into the level of faith and trust that Job had in God, and the pain and suffering he and his wife had to endure. This book also helped me comprehend the fact that, although I want to understand the reason why some things happen, I would not always get any explanation.

I enjoyed everything about this novel. Although it had little suspense, it was interesting and captivating. The diction and characterization were simple and easy to understand. The themes of the book include love, endurance, faith, and the supremacy of God. The book is set in the middle ages, and I feel the author did a very good job in her description with regards to the time and setting. This book was also very professionally edited, I found only one punctuation error. I happily rate this book a 4 out of 4 stars, I would add an extra star if I could. This book is amazing and would be enjoyed by almost anyone. However, I feel it would be better appreciated by persons who are conversant with the biblical story of Job. Lovers of romance and historical novels would also enjoy this one. And, as this book has no erotic content, I say it is suitable for children, although the volume of the book might discourage their interest.

The Legacy of Job's Wife
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Live and let live, baby.
Honest-reviewer
Currently Reading: The Lost Symbol
Bookshelf Size: 119
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-honest-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Sip Lake by joseph basara

Post by Honest-reviewer »

I was skeptical about reading this book, but the line, “Although it had a little suspense” made me want to read this. Thanks for your wonderful review.
Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: The Islands Tell Of It by Patty Fischer

Post by Ellylion »

Sounds like an interesting take of a Biblical story :) I would love to try this one. Thank you for a great review!
Olabode Joshua
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-olabode-joshua.html
Latest Review: Natural Born Gangster: The Legend of Chris Bell by C J H Moore
Reading Device: B0042D75TU

Post by Olabode Joshua »

Sounds interesting. A deep dive into the life of Job even if it is a fictional one is difficult to pass up.
Remember, we are passers-by in this realm
AnnOgochukwu
Currently Reading:

Post by AnnOgochukwu »

Honest-reviewer wrote: 22 Jul 2020, 05:02 I was skeptical about reading this book, but the line, “Although it had a little suspense” made me want to read this. Thanks for your wonderful review.
You'd definitely enjoy it.😁
Live and let live, baby.
AnnOgochukwu
Currently Reading:

Post by AnnOgochukwu »

Ellylion wrote: 23 Jul 2020, 04:59 Sounds like an interesting take of a Biblical story :) I would love to try this one. Thank you for a great review!
😉
Live and let live, baby.
Vic Chimezie
Currently Reading: Twisted Threads
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vic-chimezie.html
Latest Review: All The Good Little Girls Keep Quiet by K. Kibbee

Post by Vic Chimezie »

Ever thought about seeing the world from the woman's perspective? I am sure this book will be intriguing. Thanks for your detailed review and recommendation.
Lisa A Rayburn
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Fluff Dragon
Bookshelf Size: 267
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisa-a-rayburn.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited
Reading Device: B018QAYM7C

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

I have always found the story of Job to be disturbing on several levels. I agree with you, though. If I had been Job's wife and had those events happen to and around me, I'm certain I would have said things much, much worse than what she did. Excellent review, thanks!
Miks_solon
Favorite Book: Inviting Muslims to Christ
Currently Reading: Zona: The Forbidden Land
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miks-solon.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Miks_solon »

Your summary was comprehensive. However, I think this book isn't my tea. Thanks for the insightful review!
"Sometimes we need fantasy to survive the reality"
AnnOgochukwu
Currently Reading:

Post by AnnOgochukwu »

Kelyn wrote: 23 Jul 2020, 15:34 I have always found the story of Job to be disturbing on several levels. I agree with you, though. If I had been Job's wife and had those events happen to and around me, I'm certain I would have said things much, much worse than what she did. Excellent review, thanks!
I can't even begin to imagine what we might have said.
☺️
Live and let live, baby.
AnnOgochukwu
Currently Reading:

Post by AnnOgochukwu »

Miks_solon wrote: 24 Jul 2020, 02:19 Your summary was comprehensive. However, I think this book isn't my tea. Thanks for the insightful review!
✌️
Live and let live, baby.
AnnOgochukwu
Currently Reading:

Post by AnnOgochukwu »

Vic Chimezie wrote: 23 Jul 2020, 14:51 Ever thought about seeing the world from the woman's perspective? I am sure this book will be intriguing. Thanks for your detailed review and recommendation.
☺️
Live and let live, baby.
Elvis Best
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elvis-best.html
Latest Review: Teething Problems by Mark Fletcher

Post by Elvis Best »

The book sounds wonderful. I do enjoy Bible stories, too. Thanks for the insightful review. Good job!
"People are like stained-glass windows. They sparkle and shine when the sun is out, but when the darkness sets in, their true beauty is revealed only if there is a light from within." -Elisabeth Kubler-Ross
Sanju Lali
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Goodbye, Rudy Kazoody
Bookshelf Size: 445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sanju-lali.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Sanju Lali »

A book which is adapted from a book of the Bible, the book of Job looks quite appealing . Thanks for your honest review.
life is only knowing the unknown, we can do this by reading books easily- Online book club is a great place for this. This is what I believe.
riyosha
Currently Reading: Sapiens
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-riyosha.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by riyosha »

Damn, I initially thought the Job in question was Steve Job's. Silly me, anyway, thanks for the nice review.
If your dreams don't scare you, they're not big enough

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”