Review by Storm+ -- Mug the Wumph the Dancing Wizard

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Storm+
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-storm.html
Latest Review: Mug the Wumph the Dancing Wizard by Nicola J Rowley

Review by Storm+ -- Mug the Wumph the Dancing Wizard

Post by Storm+ »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Mug the Wumph the Dancing Wizard" by Nicola J Rowley.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Mug the Wumph the Dancing Wizard by Nicola J. Rowley tells the fascinating story of Minty Taylor, a young girl with an imagination bordering on magical. Shortly after the mysterious disappearances of several children living in her hometown, Minty finds herself caught up in a plan designed to save them, a plan which will undoubtedly require every ounce of her intelligence and creativity. Fearful but ultimately determined to find her courage, Minty agrees to help her new wizard friend, Mug the Wumph, as he attempts to save the missing children from the evil wizard that abducted them.

There were a variety of things that I loved about this book. For example, I found every single one of the characters in this narrative both interesting and engaging, and almost every character came complete with detailed and relevant backstories. Furthermore, one of the greatest strengths of this novel was the plot; neither too fast nor too slow, the pacing was perfect, and the obstacles overcome by Minty and her newfound friends build up a great sense of suspense as readers get closer and closer to the "final" battle between good and evil.

To be quite honest, I struggled to find anything that I did not like about this novel. Of course, there were some relatively minor spelling and punctuation errors in this book, but most of them did not come across as glaringly obvious. For the most part, I found that this book was extremely well done, especially in terms of the actual content. In fact, the only real problems I had with Mug the Wumph the Dancing Wizard were the constant use of single quotation marks (meant to punctuate quotations within preexisting quotations) in place of regular quotation marks and the lack of periods after "Mr" and "Mrs" on a near-constant basis. Aside from these two rather frequent errors, none of the spelling or punctuation errors in this book detracted from the narrative in any significant way.

I would recommend this book predominantly to younger readers, particularly those with an interest in magic and fantasy. However, I believe that older readers would also enjoy this book (and likely any subsequent books) despite the lack of "adult" vocabulary and themes. Unless you prefer only realistic fiction or nonfiction, this book may very well be the book for you.

In the end, I decided to rate Mug the Wumph the Dancing Wizard by Nicola J. Rowley 3 out of 4 stars. Although I believe the content is deserving of a full 4 stars, there were simply too many errors for me to rate it any higher than 3 stars.

Mug the Wumph the Dancing Wizard
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”