Review by plnjimenez -- Illustrated Short Fiction of Wil...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
plnjimenez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-plnjimenez.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Review by plnjimenez -- Illustrated Short Fiction of Wil...

Post by plnjimenez »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016" by William H. Coles.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016 by William H. Coles covers varying stories that will keep you entertained. A young girl finds herself in constant conflict with her mother. A man struggles to find the right words during a funeral. A circus performer tries to find love. A child fights for her freedom. A doctor lives a failing marriage. A child faces accusations on the death of a neighbor. A teenager discovers love. A couple befriends a woman who is suffering from her relationship with her significant other. A divorced man searches for justice for his lost love and career. Three individuals find themselves fighting off a bear. These are only a few of the short stories you will find in the book.

What I liked most about the book is that despite the brevity of each story, it remains with you. It affects you emotionally. No matter how brief, the pain of the characters can be deeply felt. You find yourself empathizing with them and wish the story went longer. It is also interesting how the author incorporates unexpected twists in the stories. Each plot is rich with memorable events; thus, it leaves you wanting more. You can also observe that the stories deal with true-to-life scenarios, hence, making most of them relatable.

The stories will not disappoint. It will keep you hooked and curious. I found myself looking forward to the next story. The creativity of the author makes it exciting to read. It is commendable how the stories greatly vary. It covers different lives filled with various colors. Some stories will make you sad, some will make you feel good, and some will make you insightful. I disliked nothing from the book.

I rate Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016 by William H. Coles 4 out of 4 stars. Apart from the book’s praiseworthiness, it only had minor typographical errors. It is easy to read the book and it is a book you can pick up during your leisure time. Some stories may come off as simple, however, you will realize it tackles deeper issues.

I recommend this book to readers who are looking for an entertaining read. The book contains numerous short stories which will give the readers plenty of options to choose from, in case they find the current story to be not as enjoyable. I would not recommend this book to readers who are looking for a longer plot. They may not like the short exposure of each character who they would wish to get to know more.

Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”