Review by MeganDJ -- Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
MeganDJ
Currently Reading: Mirrored Worlds
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-megandj.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Review by MeganDJ -- Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula

Post by MeganDJ »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula" by R.F. Kristi.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi is an adorable tale about a cat and her detective company going on an exciting adventure in South Korea. This is the 8th instalment in the series and it is told from Inca’s perspective in a diary format. Although this novel is a part of a series, it works wonderfully as a standalone short story that describes one of the many delightful shenanigans of Inca and Company.

On this thrilling trip, Inca and the gang are off to a cheese competition with their mother, Missy, in South Korea. She was invited to be a judge by the world-renown Le Cordon Bleu because of her remarkable ways of creating unique cheeses. Being thrilled and honoured with the invitation, Missy takes this opportunity to present one of her best cheeses yet on the world stage. Once they have safely landed, Inca and the gang suspect that not all is well in the airport. Will they be able to protect Missy and her unique creation? What exciting adventures await them in South Korea?

I loved this adorable short story about Inca and her friends trying to help those they love, and their new friends along the way. The narrative and style were appropriate for the audience, and I appreciated the author’s research and detail in describing South Korean culture. Additionally, I was pleasantly surprised at the subtle references of previous books, which gave an appropriate nod and appreciation for the adventures that came before it.

I have a slight criticism regarding the direction of the tale in the middle of the book. The story flowed well in the beginning, and I thought I had a clear view of the plot and where it was headed. However, it seemed to split in a jarring way and left me feeling confused and disconnected for a bit, before continuing with the new flow.

With all that being said, I am happy to rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. During my read, I found no errors at all, which is especially important regarding a children’s novel. There wasn’t any profanity or inappropriate themes for a children's book. I highly recommend this read to young children between the ages of 9 and 12 years old or parents who would like to read this tale as a bedtime story.

Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
He who lives in harmony with himself lives in harmony with the universe - Marcus Aurelius
Kanda_theGreat
Currently Reading: The Fox
Bookshelf Size: 167
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kanda-thegreat.html
Latest Review: Born To Survive by Kylie-Anne Evans

Post by Kanda_theGreat »

Sounds like it has a well-developed plot.
Thank you for your descriptive review.
MeganDJ

Post by MeganDJ »

Kanda_theGreat wrote: 07 Jul 2020, 02:15 Sounds like it has a well-developed plot.
Thank you for your descriptive review.
It is :) Thank you so much for your kind words! Happy reading :techie-studyinggray:
Elvis Best
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elvis-best.html
Latest Review: Teething Problems by Mark Fletcher

Post by Elvis Best »

I read this book a while ago and agree with your point about the plot. I think the author diverted from it for a while, which made the book boring at some points. But all in all, I enjoyed reading it.. Thanks for this honest review.
"People are like stained-glass windows. They sparkle and shine when the sun is out, but when the darkness sets in, their true beauty is revealed only if there is a light from within." -Elisabeth Kubler-Ross
Y0landa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-y0landa.html
Latest Review: Last Words from Above by Jeremy Brown

Post by Y0landa »

Sounds like an engaging and fun book to read. I enjoyed reading your review too! Great job!
MeganDJ

Post by MeganDJ »

Elvis Best wrote: 07 Jul 2020, 05:29 I read this book a while ago and agree with your point about the plot. I think the author diverted from it for a while, which made the book boring at some points. But all in all, I enjoyed reading it.. Thanks for this honest review.
I agree, that aspect didn't make a lot of sense but I am glad you still enjoyed it :D Thank you for stopping by and commenting! Happy reading :techie-studyinggray:
MeganDJ

Post by MeganDJ »

Y0landa wrote: 07 Jul 2020, 14:30 Sounds like an engaging and fun book to read. I enjoyed reading your review too! Great job!
It was! Perfect for little ones :D Thank you for stopping by and for your kind words. Happy reading :techie-studyinggray:
Adanna Inya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adanna-inya.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe v morrow

Post by Adanna Inya »

A cat as a detective and speaking like a human. It always makes me laugh. But this will be a very beautiful book for kids.
MeganDJ

Post by MeganDJ »

Adanna Inya wrote: 08 Jul 2020, 08:52 A cat as a detective and speaking like a human. It always makes me laugh. But this will be a very beautiful book for kids.
It truly is :) Though she speaks with all the vanity and self-love that you would expect from a cat :lol: Thank you so much for stopping by! Happy reading :techie-studyinggray:
jennydelacruz
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 155
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennydelacruz.html
Latest Review: Relieved by Cheryl Richardson

Post by jennydelacruz »

"I loved this adorable short story about Inca and her friends trying to help those they love, and their new friends along the way."

I will have to have my son read this. Aside from the fact the he loves cats (he will certainly love this), there is also a great lesson that he can learn in terms of helping.

Thank you for your honest review.
MeganDJ

Post by MeganDJ »

jennydelacruz wrote: 09 Jul 2020, 01:59 "I loved this adorable short story about Inca and her friends trying to help those they love, and their new friends along the way."

I will have to have my son read this. Aside from the fact the he loves cats (he will certainly love this), there is also a great lesson that he can learn in terms of helping.

Thank you for your honest review.
I would highly recommend this to all little ones, especially those that love animals :D Thank you so much for stopping by! Happy reading :techie-studyinggray:
Honest-reviewer
Currently Reading: The Lost Symbol
Bookshelf Size: 119
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-honest-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Sip Lake by joseph basara

Post by Honest-reviewer »

It’s a great book for kids. Thanks for your review.
Caffrey_19
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caffrey-19.html
Latest Review: Rescued by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Caffrey_19 »

I love this book as well as its series. I intend to read the whole editions to my kids someday. You chose a good book.
Fernando222
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fernando222.html
Latest Review: If Only by Elaine Blick

Post by Fernando222 »

I like that the author uses animated characters to portray self-confidence and heroism. Outstanding review.
MeganDJ

Post by MeganDJ »

Honest-reviewer wrote: 09 Jul 2020, 06:42 It’s a great book for kids. Thanks for your review.
It really is :D Thank you for stopping by! Happy reading :techie-studyinggray:

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”