Review by jeminah28 -- Sandra Eden's War by Michael Low

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Jeremie Mondejar
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Author: Still searching
Currently Reading: SandPeople
Bookshelf Size: 1375
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeremie-mondejar.html
Latest Review: All That I Love by Hina Yu Cao

Review by jeminah28 -- Sandra Eden's War by Michael Low

Post by Jeremie Mondejar »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Sandra Eden's War" by Michael Low.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

"The sooner the better" was Sandra Eden's rule 101 in accomplishing her missions. She was a British Special Operations Executive (SOE), who was parachuted to help the Maquis team in Normandy. Destroying two railway communication links at Sainte-Catherine's tunnel and at Barentin Viaduct were her primary assignment, and it was followed by sabotaging the factory's operations in the area. On the other hand, Flight Lieutenant James Silverstone, an expert pilot of the RAF reported that Sandra's chute didn't open. He was assuming Sandra died in the fall, 3000 feet or 914.4 meters above ground. Nancy Lake was a replacement for Sandra's missions, and she was ordered to kill any impostor because a German agent might try to mimic Sandra. "Don't move!" Hollered by an agent. Can you guess who?

Are war stories offering you an amusing read? Firstly, buckle up and soothe yourself because this tale will maneuver you to the Nazis' time. Secondly, stay calm as you're journeying with Sandra's risky missions in fighting for freedom. Lastly, open your mind to the possibilities of war, since Michael Low embedded a realistic war scenes. Furthermore, he also created eight suspenseful scenarios, which I liked the most. For example, the three major tasks of the Maquis team are quite entertaining. In addition to the dangerous assignments, rescuing a comrade, eliminating the traitor and destroying the Milice Headquarters have enormous fascinating actions. On the contrary, I don't like the mass killings' topic, but the author can't change the history of Hitler's command.

If you're looking for a short read in less than two hours, Sandra Eden's War by Michael Low will fit for your taste. He crafted a well-driven character with suspense, thrill or mystery, which revealed his mastery in this novel. Since this tale focuses on a female protagonist, he is good at developing the supporting characters to highlight the leading figure. Plus, he doesn't fail to add some sparkling moment, like a dinner date in times of war, savoring success with a brandy or appreciating things in unusual ways. Readers will notice minor cliffhanger, which may demand some closure, but the author has strictly stuck to his point in augmenting the protagonist's strength.

I am gladly awarding Sandra Eden's War 4 out of 4 stars. Why? I appreciate the author's techniques in telling the brief background of the Nazis' invasion in France, while he carefully depicts London's derivative way in sending help. The Germans were all around Normandy in those times, Michael Low divulged the secret agents' movements in seeking freedom for us to know today. Plus, the SOE agents' code name is a bit entertaining. One thing more, I enjoyed reading some French language, which was added to my vocabulary list like "Adieu, mon special ami." While flipping through the pages, I didn't encounter any errors or dull scenes. The set of characters is well-developed as well as the plot. Next, the level of events hyped me up, especially the "no-scape-zone hours" and the "trust no one" motto. Overall, Sandra Eden's War is well-written and exceptionally edited.

The above-mentioned plots require an adult supervision. I also noted some vices, profane words and graphic violence, which were not good for minors. Thus, it leads me to recommend this novel to historical fanatics (adults) because they will definitely love this book, particularly set in Normandy 1944 during World War II. Any student (young adult) who is searching for historical events involving a female's leadership will find this book informative, too.

Sandra Eden's War
View: on Bookshelves
Jeremie

"Jesus Christ is the Saviour of the world."
Ballbender
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ballbender.html
Latest Review: Mother of Peace by Carol Klavon

Post by Ballbender »

This is a well-structured book that is best enjoyed by people who likes historical content. Sandra is the lead character here. Good job.
TADSAILS
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tadsails.html
Latest Review: The Mountain and The Goat by Siamak Taghaddos

Post by TADSAILS »

The British and the French resistance were really instrumental in the war. Enjoyed reading this fiction wouldn't trade the days spent on another thing.
Jyockel08
Currently Reading: EMP honeymoon: kelly & tom
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jyockel08.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Jyockel08 »

Sounds really well-written and interesting. Thank you for a great review!
J_odoyo
Currently Reading: First Family
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-j-odoyo.html
Latest Review: Epicenter by Carrie Hannah

Post by J_odoyo »

I've just finished reading this book, and I must testify that it's a great book. I like your review; it's detailed and sincere. Thanks!
The more books you read the more choices you have
– Toni Morrison
Jeremie Mondejar

Ballbender wrote: 08 Jul 2020, 08:00 This is a well-structured book that is best enjoyed by people who likes historical content. Sandra is the lead character here. Good job.
Thank you very much.
Jeremie

Jeremie Mondejar

TADSAILS wrote: 08 Jul 2020, 14:37 The British and the French resistance were really instrumental in the war. Enjoyed reading this fiction wouldn't trade the days spent on another thing.
Thanks. Yeah, you're right!
Jeremie

Jeremie Mondejar

Jyockel08 wrote: 08 Jul 2020, 15:18 Sounds really well-written and interesting. Thank you for a great review!
Likewise, thanks for dropping by and try to read this book as well.
Jeremie

Jeremie Mondejar

J_odoyo wrote: 11 Jul 2020, 03:27 I've just finished reading this book, and I must testify that it's a great book. I like your review; it's detailed and sincere. Thanks!
You're welcome. Thanks for your time. :tiphat:
Jeremie

Kanda_theGreat
Currently Reading: The Fox
Bookshelf Size: 167
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kanda-thegreat.html
Latest Review: Born To Survive by Kylie-Anne Evans

Post by Kanda_theGreat »

I also liked the realistic structure of the book, especially its average length that ensured a reader's attention is never carried foward.
Beautiful review.
Jeremie Mondejar

Kanda_theGreat wrote: 11 Jul 2020, 09:32 I also liked the realistic structure of the book, especially its average length that ensured a reader's attention is never carried foward.
Beautiful review.
Exactly. Thanks for dropping by.
Jeremie

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”