Review by J_odoyo -- Creating Literary Stories: A Fictio...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
J_odoyo
Currently Reading: First Family
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-j-odoyo.html
Latest Review: Customer Service Is DEAD by Mitche Graf

Review by J_odoyo -- Creating Literary Stories: A Fictio...

Post by J_odoyo »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide" by William H. Coles.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Many authors today—in the literary fiction world—tend to imitate writing styles of their favorite or popular authors instead of finding out the correct formula that will result in a perfect masterpiece, capable of surviving for many centuries. As a result, there are many badly written fictional books outside there, dangling in the ether, populated with clichés or hackneyed descriptions, or simply extraneous authorial ideas. William H. Coles’ Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer’s Guide is a skilfully written guidebook for both novice and experienced literary fiction writers. This book acts as a bridge for authors or aspiring authors who will want to join the league of successful writers.

William H. Coles—an experienced literary fiction writer, who has written many books over the last decades and a winner of multiple awards—has keenly observed the reasons why stories fail or remain relevant for many decades, and he has penned this wonderful guidebook to help writers understand the nuances of this career. The book has two major sections: book one and book two. Book one (The Literary Story in Fiction) covers an introduction to literary stories, narration in literary stories, dialogue, in-scene writing, why literary stories fail, and many more.

Book two, (Creating a Literary Fictional Story) covers fundamentals of telling literary stories, essentials of literary story writing, how a literary story comes to life, providing for the reader, and many more. The author affirms that great stories are dramatically constructed art forms that produce an enlightened change in characters and readers, not a flamboyant description of lived abstractions such as love, hate, or jealousy.

I picked this book because I’m an aspiring author, and while reading through, I realized that there are a lot of mistakes that authors often do, some of which even some readers fail to notice. William H. Coles succinctly explains the importance of in-scene narration. Using short examples, he explains how to create in-scene-described stories. It was easier to agree with the author that many readers (this reader included) are engaged by in-scene writing; however, many authors opt to use narrative writing, because it is easier for them. I was fascinated by how he explained different narrative perspectives authors can use, giving their merits and demerits.

Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer’s Guide clearly explains why readers will love or hate your fictional work. I came to realize that most of the worst books I have ever read are products of lesser authors, who write only for catharsis, self-aggrandizement, or ego—they often ignore understanding of humanity or broad objective incorporation of the world outside their worldview. The author explains, with relevant examples, how to create engaging dialogues and the mistakes that most authors do while creating dialogues in literary fiction prose. He elucidates when one should use dialogue and where the narrator should come in.

The second section of this book was my favorite; the author gives eight elements that one should consider while revising his/her writing. I liked his guidelines and principles of characterization. He uses brief and well-understood examples to expound the difference between in-scene and narrative telling of conflicts in a story. There is nothing I disliked in this book. Even though there were a few cases of typos, I can say the book was exceptionally edited.

Overall, Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer’s Guide earns a sparkling 4 out of 4 stars. This is a recommendable handbook for all writers—whether you are an amateur or an experience/professional writer. If you are an aspiring author, get a wiggle on and grab this book to polish your terrible writing skills. College students, pursuing literary studies or creative writing, should as well read this vital book.

Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords
The more books you read the more choices you have
– Toni Morrison
Tonika632
Currently Reading: White Night
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tonika632.html
Latest Review: Chemicals and Christians by Martha McLaughlin

Post by Tonika632 »

This book is perfect for fresh writers. I love your review!
Adanna Inya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adanna-inya.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe v morrow

Post by Adanna Inya »

I think aspiring and fresh writers should read this. A lot of valuable information.
Kanda_theGreat
Currently Reading: The Fox
Bookshelf Size: 167
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kanda-thegreat.html
Latest Review: Born To Survive by Kylie-Anne Evans

Post by Kanda_theGreat »

This book could go a long way into advising my literary techniques.
Thank you for the descriptive review.
J_odoyo

Post by J_odoyo »

Tonika632 wrote: 13 Jul 2020, 06:03 This book is perfect for fresh writers. I love your review!
Yeah, they benefit a lot from this book. Thanks for commenting.
– Toni Morrison
J_odoyo

Post by J_odoyo »

Adanna Inya wrote: 13 Jul 2020, 11:16 I think aspiring and fresh writers should read this. A lot of valuable information.
Exactly! Thanks for commenting.
– Toni Morrison
Nerea
Bookshelves Moderator
Favorite Author: William H. Coles
Favorite Book: Diamond and Pearls
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 545
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nerea.html
Latest Review: Little White Lies by JC Anderson
Reading Device: Laptop
fav_author_id: 89641
Signature Addition: No Wahala

Post by Nerea »

I love the concept in the book.
The author affirms that great stories are dramatically constructed art forms that produce an enlightened change in characters and readers, not a flamboyant description of lived abstractions such as love, hate, or jealousy.
And this statement proves that the author is one of the best writers. Good job in your review. :congratualtions-smiley:
"Regular reading improves your grammar."
No Wahala
Marion Jepkosgei
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marion-jepkosgei.html
Latest Review: Randy the Irresistible by S M Goodier

Post by Marion Jepkosgei »

I am about to write my anthology of poetry and I totally need this book. Your review is clear cut and the details well brought out. Amazing!
J_odoyo

Post by J_odoyo »

Nerea wrote: 14 Jul 2020, 05:20 I love the concept in the book.
The author affirms that great stories are dramatically constructed art forms that produce an enlightened change in characters and readers, not a flamboyant description of lived abstractions such as love, hate, or jealousy.
And this statement proves that the author is one of the best writers. Good job in your review. :congratualtions-smiley:
Sure, thanks for your comments.
– Toni Morrison
J_odoyo

Post by J_odoyo »

Marion Jepkosgei wrote: 14 Jul 2020, 05:33 I am about to write my anthology of poetry and I totally need this book. Your review is clear cut and the details well brought out. Amazing!
Thanks for your encouraging comment.
– Toni Morrison
Reader047
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reader047.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by Reader047 »

This a great guidebook for newbies in authorship world. Nice review!
J_odoyo

Post by J_odoyo »

Reader047 wrote: 15 Jul 2020, 02:55 This a great guidebook for newbies in authorship world. Nice review!
Yeah, especially newbies will greatly benefit from this one. Thanks for commenting.
– Toni Morrison
bookreviewmi1111
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookreviewmi1111.html
Latest Review: Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide by William H. Coles

Post by bookreviewmi1111 »

The is definitely qualified enough to guide people on fictional writing. I think the book will be so helpful for newbie writers.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”