Review by Adanna Inya -- Illustrated Short Fiction of Wi...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Adanna Inya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adanna-inya.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe v morrow

Review by Adanna Inya -- Illustrated Short Fiction of Wi...

Post by Adanna Inya »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016" by William H. Coles.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016 is a collection of thirty-three short stories, two graphic novels, and one novella. The featured pictures are done by a total of six illustrators, and the stories have different themes. The themes include bitterness, grief, betrayal, restitution, grace, forgiveness, serendipity, greed, love, unity, and family. Each story teaches a lesson and gives the reader an unfiltered insight into the harsh realities of life. This thought-provoking collection of stories is narrated in the third person for the most part, and the rest, in the first person. At the end of my reading journey, I decided that the author has a very active and creative mind.

I love this bulk of work because it helped me learn, unlearn, and relearn. I had a humbling experience reading this book. It takes the reader through feelings of excitement, immense sadness, indifference, and pure anger. By the time you're done with this book, you will feel as if you've been through an emotional wringer. The stories touched me, and I took a lesson from each one. From one of the stories titled "The Necklace," I learned that things are not always what they seem. "The Gift" showed me the lengths that great parents will go for the sake of their children. A love like that is indescribable and without comparison. "Sister Carrie" sheds some light on the family unit, reminding us that we are all we've got. I have more favorite stories from this collection, but I won't spill. Go check the book out.

The writing style of William H. Coles is original and intriguing. I was engaged and invested as the author drove my feelings through high and low. The book contains very subtle intimacy and no profanities which help widen its audience-range. The pace of each story is steady and straight to the point, but the characters are well developed.

Unfortunately, Illustrated Short Fiction had downsides which I found tiring. I felt as if I was reading a rough manuscript or the first draft of a creative piece. The collection started in a nice manner, but after the first few stories, it went downhill. The book had very tiny fonts and heavily clustered paragraphs. Most of the pictorial illustrations were awkwardly placed, and the page breaks were either too much or too little. I also had an issue with the extremely long sentences (up to 60 words) that I encountered. I kept forgetting what I'd read at the beginning of some sentences before I got to the end. I had to backtrack many times.

The book had many punctuation errors, missing words and letters, and wrong tenses. This collection of stories wasn't professionally put together or thoroughly edited. The book was truly a hard read, and citing the points that I made above, I rate Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016 two out of four stars.

I recommend this book to lovers of intrigue and suspense-filled books. However, if you are always keen on getting closure, you may not like this book.

Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords
jennydelacruz
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 155
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennydelacruz.html
Latest Review: Relieved by Cheryl Richardson

Post by jennydelacruz »

I read and reviewed this book too, Adanna. I agree with you in terms of the ability to induce the readers feelings by his writing style. I also learned a lot from The Necklace and there were several lines that really moved me and stayed in my mind up until now, like “There’s too great a difference between the haves and the have-nots.” As usual, your review is carefully and elegantly put together! Thanks for the review.
Y0landa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-y0landa.html
Latest Review: Last Words from Above by Jeremy Brown

Post by Y0landa »

I love touching stories that teach. With another round of editing, sounds like it would be great! But I might just overlook the editing mistakes and give it a read. Thank you so much for your honest review, very nicely written.
Adanna Inya
Currently Reading:

Post by Adanna Inya »

jennydelacruz wrote: 11 Jul 2020, 12:10 I read and reviewed this book too, Adanna. I agree with you in terms of the ability to induce the readers feelings by his writing style. I also learned a lot from The Necklace and there were several lines that really moved me and stayed in my mind up until now, like “There’s too great a difference between the haves and the have-nots.” As usual, your review is carefully and elegantly put together! Thanks for the review.
Thanks Jenny. Looks like we end up reviewing almost the same book. Haha! Thanks for your sweet heart.
Adanna Inya
Currently Reading:

Post by Adanna Inya »

Y0landa wrote: 11 Jul 2020, 15:02 I love touching stories that teach. With another round of editing, sounds like it would be great! But I might just overlook the editing mistakes and give it a read. Thank you so much for your honest review, very nicely written.
Thank you Yolanda. You should read it.
Kanda_theGreat
Currently Reading: The Fox
Bookshelf Size: 167
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kanda-thegreat.html
Latest Review: Born To Survive by Kylie-Anne Evans

Post by Kanda_theGreat »

My review of this book is yet to be published. Coincidentally, I enjoyed reading The Necklace too.
Thank you for your thorough analysis of the book.
Adanna Inya
Currently Reading:

Post by Adanna Inya »

Kanda_theGreat wrote: 12 Jul 2020, 04:12 My review of this book is yet to be published. Coincidentally, I enjoyed reading The Necklace too.
Thank you for your thorough analysis of the book.
That is nice to hear. Thank you for commenting.
Y0landa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-y0landa.html
Latest Review: Last Words from Above by Jeremy Brown

Post by Y0landa »

Adanna Inya wrote: 12 Jul 2020, 02:57
Y0landa wrote: 11 Jul 2020, 15:02 I love touching stories that teach. With another round of editing, sounds like it would be great! But I might just overlook the editing mistakes and give it a read. Thank you so much for your honest review, very nicely written.
Thank you Yolanda. You should read it.
Thanks for recommending it, Adanna. I will definitely add it on my list of books to read! Enjoy your Sunday! :D
Phelicia Gloria
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 119
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-phelicia-gloria.html
Latest Review: Soul Seeker by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Phelicia Gloria »

Great review, but I'll skip this one until the many errors are rectified.
Absence of evidence is never an evidence of absence
Adanna Inya
Currently Reading:

Post by Adanna Inya »

Phelicia Gloria wrote: 13 Jul 2020, 01:16 Great review, but I'll skip this one until the many errors are rectified.
Thank you for your comments.
Samisah
Currently Reading: Final Notice
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samisah.html
Latest Review: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016 by William H. Coles

Post by Samisah »

I just reviewed this book myself and I love it. So many interesting and relevant stories. Mr Coles writing is unique.
What a review too! You are such an amazing writer.
Adanna Inya
Currently Reading:

Post by Adanna Inya »

Samisah wrote: 13 Jul 2020, 02:49 I just reviewed this book myself and I love it. So many interesting and relevant stories. Mr Coles writing is unique.
What a review too! You are such an amazing writer.
Glad you enjoyed it. Thank you so much for the compliment.
J_odoyo
Currently Reading: First Family
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-j-odoyo.html
Latest Review: Epicenter by Carrie Hannah

Post by J_odoyo »

I love Mr. Cole's writing style and the how valuable his stories are. I'm not a fan of short stories, but I think this one is worth reading. Thanks for this great review!
The more books you read the more choices you have
– Toni Morrison
Adanna Inya
Currently Reading:

Post by Adanna Inya »

:tiphat:
J_odoyo wrote: 13 Jul 2020, 10:53 I love Mr. Cole's writing style and the how valuable his stories are. I'm not a fan of short stories, but I think this one is worth reading. Thanks for this great review!
Yes, it is. Thank you for your comment.
Nerea
Favorite Author: William H. Coles
Favorite Book: Diamond and Pearls
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 675
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nerea.html
Latest Review: Little White Lies by JC Anderson
Reading Device: Laptop
fav_author_id: 89641
Signature Addition: No Wahala

Post by Nerea »

I agree. The author has an active and a creative mind. I love reading his books. Your analysis of the book is awesome. Good job.
"Regular reading improves your grammar."
No Wahala

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”