Review by Dentarthurdent -- Winners and Losers in words ...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Dentarthurdent
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dentarthurdent.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Review by Dentarthurdent -- Winners and Losers in words ...

Post by Dentarthurdent »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Winners and Losers in words and cartoons" by Arthur Hartz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

“Of course, there’s more to us than our achievements, appearance and social skills– just nothing of interest.”
It is undeniable that a definite set of superficial characteristics enables certain people to avoid some of the unpleasantness that others have to wade through, like long queues and speeding tickets. These examples lie on the more harmless side of things, you’d think, but as you scratch, you find that there is much more beneath the surface. For the elite to exist, there has to be a comparison element involved; one cannot be beautiful if there do not exist others who embody the supposed traits of ugliness. There is elevation of the ‘superior’, so to speak, to a godly sort of consideration, with their subjects under a misapprehension that these selected deities can do no wrong, and deserve the best treatment and fortune by the mere virtue of their existence. The attractive, intelligent, rich and charming amongst us lounge on this pedestal, and good for them, but what of everyone else? What does this contrast do to the have-nots? If this is something you are interested in exploring, pick up a copy of Winners and Losers today!

If you’re on the fence and you’re thinking, “I’ve always been an average guy, so there’s really nothing new this book can tell me about it. Why should I spend so much time to read, get bored and be told stuff I already know?” Arthur Hartz definitely had you in mind when he wrote this wonderful read. Not only is Winners and Losers a short, time-saving book, it is also highly entertaining and guarantees that there’s at least one new thing you’ll learn from it (This is my guarantee, though, not Hartz’s).

The book has nine sections that together cover the perception of winners and winning in the society, the result of winning to the winners and the consequence of losing to the losers, how to cope with losing, the value of losers and the actual meaning of winning. There are playful and imaginative illustrations used to depict the relevant concepts in action with loads of humour, and I absolutely loved the heterogeneity of the cartoons. There are direct illustrations that say what they mean and others that satirically showcase situations in the society. Among these, some require a bit more inference by the reader, while others need a little explanation. Without fail, the latter are graced with captions for clarification.

Additionally, I thoroughly appreciate Hartz’s insight in portraying multiple sides of the issue; we get to see how winners themselves suffer as a result of their status, and identify instances of partisanship and unfairness in our day-to-day lives that we otherwise might not have considered. We are shown how we shoot ourselves in the foot by encouraging standards we ourselves barely meet. Most importantly, we see the toll of losing, and how to cope with it.

On the flip side, I feel it is worth noting that the “It’s okay not to be number one,” theme might be misconstrued as “you should be a bum, there’s no point in working hard” by some readers, and that some people could be misled into thinking that natural aptitudes play no role in accomplishing some goals. If we decide that talent is irrelevant in, say, authorship, to some extent, do we not doom ourselves to reading mediocre books? While I can honestly say that Arthur Hartz’s books are among the most interesting I have read this year, the reasons for this are that he is creative and funny, and that he sought out talented artists to do the illustrations. The hamartia of the “you’re perfect just the way you are” thinking embodied here is that to some extent, it can be misunderstood, hence discourage healthy self-improvement. Resultantly, I wish there was more emphasis on seeking to be good at what you love, because outside of talent, passion is imperative in doing something well, and enjoying it. This could be the topic for another entertaining book, perhaps?

Similar to Hartz’s other books, the lessons are brought forth by showing the reader just how comically wrong the existing situation is. Winners and Losers mocks you, but in a way that makes you laugh at yourself for your unjustifiable biases and unwritten rules. You will not fail to encounter a quote or illustration that leaves you thinking, “I can’t believe I think like that, it’s so silly!” The book’s ability to induce such healthy introspection is what I liked best about it, and among the reasons that my rating is 4 out of 4 stars. The issue I’ve included above is really a matter of perspective, thus did not warrant the subtraction of a star. Humour is wielded masterfully by Hartz in his books, helping him inform without depressing, educate without lecturing and mock without offending. This is a book that made me take a long look in the mirror and re-evaluate what I am most proud of, whom I respect and whom I should respect. Winners and Losers occasionally contains some language and complex content that make it a good fit for readers over fifteen, but is a must-read for everyone of the suitable age, winners and ‘losers’ alike. The reason for this is that for the sake of everyone’s mental health, we need to stop taking victory and superiority so seriously.

Winners and Losers in words and cartoons
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
"I say what it occurs to me to say when I think I hear people say things. More I cannot say"
--Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe.
Fernando222
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fernando222.html
Latest Review: If Only by Elaine Blick

Post by Fernando222 »

I like that the writer was brave enough to analyze his plot from different perspectives. An open-minded writer is indeed a mature writer. Your review is quite detailed.
Prisallen
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

I think the author makes a good point, and he seems to do it in a humorous and inoffensive way. I think I would enjoy this book. Thanks for your informative and interesting review!
Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: The Islands Tell Of It by Patty Fischer

Post by Ellylion »

Looks like a book worth reading for those seeking self-knowledge :) I love that it is written with humor and without lecturing. Thank you for a great review!
Miks_solon
Favorite Book: Inviting Muslims to Christ
Currently Reading: Zona: The Forbidden Land
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miks-solon.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Miks_solon »

I think this is a self-help book that adds entertainment. Nice review! I'm looking forward to reading this.
"Sometimes we need fantasy to survive the reality"
Elvis Best
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elvis-best.html
Latest Review: Teething Problems by Mark Fletcher

Post by Elvis Best »

I read this book some time ago and thoroughly enjoyed. I agree with all your points, too. Thanks for the honest review.
"People are like stained-glass windows. They sparkle and shine when the sun is out, but when the darkness sets in, their true beauty is revealed only if there is a light from within." -Elisabeth Kubler-Ross
khaulah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-khaulah.html
Latest Review: The Movie Chair by Shari Borkin

Post by khaulah »

The first paragraph of the review itself drew me in. I don't think I should miss reading this one. Great review!
Kanda_theGreat
Currently Reading: The Fox
Bookshelf Size: 167
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kanda-thegreat.html
Latest Review: Born To Survive by Kylie-Anne Evans

Post by Kanda_theGreat »

I find the author's writing style very unique. Thank you for your thorough analysis of the book.
gen_g
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

This one sounds interesting; determining winning and losing has always been dependent on the perspective of the person judging it, after all! I also like that humour has been incorporated into it. Thanks for the review!
Ballbender
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ballbender.html
Latest Review: Mother of Peace by Carol Klavon

Post by Ballbender »

This book looks inspiring and educating, I admire the writers thinking ability. I thought the review is impressive.
Dentarthurdent
Currently Reading:

Post by Dentarthurdent »

Fernando222 wrote: 05 Jul 2020, 03:51 I like that the writer was brave enough to analyze his plot from different perspectives. An open-minded writer is indeed a mature writer. Your review is quite detailed.
Thanks so much for your time! I couldn't agree more, regarding the importance of open-mindedness in writing. Have a great day!
"I say what it occurs to me to say when I think I hear people say things. More I cannot say"
Dentarthurdent
Currently Reading:

Post by Dentarthurdent »

Prisallen wrote: 05 Jul 2020, 08:11 I think the author makes a good point, and he seems to do it in a humorous and inoffensive way. I think I would enjoy this book. Thanks for your informative and interesting review!
Thanks a lot for the kind words! The author is quite good at pointing out errors without making the reader feel bad. That makes this quite an enjoyable read.
Dentarthurdent
Currently Reading:

Post by Dentarthurdent »

Ellylion wrote: 05 Jul 2020, 09:11 Looks like a book worth reading for those seeking self-knowledge :) I love that it is written with humor and without lecturing. Thank you for a great review!
Thanks so much for taking the time to read it! The book is awesome for self-exploration.
Dentarthurdent
Currently Reading:

Post by Dentarthurdent »

Elvis Best wrote: 05 Jul 2020, 11:55 I read this book some time ago and thoroughly enjoyed. I agree with all your points, too. Thanks for the honest review.
I'm glad to hear you enjoyed this book as well! Thanks so much for your time.
Dentarthurdent
Currently Reading:

Post by Dentarthurdent »

Miks_solon wrote: 05 Jul 2020, 11:20 I think this is a self-help book that adds entertainment. Nice review! I'm looking forward to reading this.
You are correct in thinking so! I hope you enjoy it if you end up reading this book. Thanks so much for stopping by!!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”