Review by Cynthia_Oluchi -- Our Autumn Years

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Cynthia_Oluchi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cynthia-oluchi.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Review by Cynthia_Oluchi -- Our Autumn Years

Post by Cynthia_Oluchi »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Our Autumn Years" by Arthur Hartz.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

There are lots of misconceptions about old-age. It could be said to include senility but must not be stereotyped to it. Old people are a lot more fun than pitiable as they have been portrayed to be in society. These negative stereotypes are so strong that they quickly get infused with growing children which become very evident in their relationship with these old people. The young people may not understand the consequences of what they have been made to believe because they do not feel the direct pain as the old people. This is the essence of this book—to get young people familiar with the exciting and funny aspects of old people. This is expected to help foster the relationship between the young and the old people.

Our Autumn Years by Arthur Hartz is a Comic and Graphic illustration of a series of activities that happen at old-age, and how these old people react to every one of them. These are random activities and events such as visiting the doctor, hiking with younger ones, going on picnics, gaming, reading, and discussing one's life. The book takes you around these aspects of their lives in a very funny manner.

First, this is a very funny piece! I laughed until my eyes were almost out while I read this book. Not only are the comic illustrations very funny, the storyline especially the old people's exaggerated reactions to simple things will have you cracking your ribs. The one I found most funny of all is one that illustrates old people who do not ever take advice from anyone. It says that the only advice they want to hear is, “keep the brilliant work going!” even when they are doing it all wrong. This cracked up my ribs because it quickly reminded me of my grandmother. For her, this is not far from the truth.

Inside the book, you would find some quotes and ‘foods-for-thought’. There was one that deeply struck me while I read. It says, “what's the importance of unimportant people?”. I may not be able to discern the author's viewpoint here completely but this line did stir up a measure of curiosity in me. For me, it simply means that everyone we've come across, no matter how insignificant they appear, has become a part of us—This makes them important. This too can be said for old people— as many of them as are in our society, they are important to us. This was a line that caught me, there could be something different for you.

The only thing I do not like about this book is the font size. The writings are so small that my eyes almost went out of its boxes trying to pick one letter after the other. This really marred my comprehension pace. Due completely to this, I am deducting a star. I feel professional editing would never allow such a font size, the genre notwithstanding. I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars.

There were no errors, sex scenes, or the use of profanity. It is a clean work. I recommend this one to all lovers of comics. Get your ribs ready for some good cracks!

Our Autumn Years
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”