Review by Laurina_Olowo -- Our Autumn Years by Arthur Hartz

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Laurina_Olowo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laurina-olowo.html
Latest Review: Dynomike: Pay It Forward by Frankie B. Rabbit

Review by Laurina_Olowo -- Our Autumn Years by Arthur Hartz

Post by Laurina_Olowo »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Our Autumn Years" by Arthur Hartz.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

I do not have the experience of taking care of those in their golden years. I lost my parents in the space of two years, they were in their sixties, still strong and going about their businesses. I cannot stand it when I see old people doing odd jobs – you get to see that a lot in my country – I feel like collapsing, though some of them can be so annoying. These are some of the issues Arthur Hartz talks about in Our Autumn Years. If I were to rename the book, I would call it “Why Old People Act the Way They do.”

As a young person, one is filled with so much energy and the mindset that you can do anything you want, at any time and quickly. Some young people do not give thought to what it feels like to be old, I doubt if I have thought about it either and that is why many young people treat older people pitiably. You mostly hear teenagers say in a frustrated way, “common grandma. You can do better than this!" But “can” she? What happened to her “can”? She grew old.

Arthur did a great job with this book. Using beautiful drawings and short writings, he talked about the beauty and challenges of growing old such as being seen as stupid for not remembering why you are in the kitchen. It is not something everyone talks about, but someone has to. Reading the book, I laughed and also thought hard at the same time. It reminded me that aging is a must for everyone and that includes me. Young people may think that they have got it all figured out – to the frustration of old and wiser ones – and tend to discard the advice of the old ones.

It’s a short book that mostly has drawings. I must commend the illustrators. Hartz worked with three illustrators who brought the book to life. Looking at the drawings gives you an idea of the message the author is trying to pass across. For example, the drawing of “what falls to the ground stays on the ground” shows that due to waist pain that comes with aging, they may not be able to bend and pick things from the floor.

The author wanted to show what it feels like to be old and aging. Also, those in their golden years should be respected and not pitied. Love them, help them, show them you care genuinely, and not in the patronizing way many of us do.

Not many people would enjoy the book because not everyone has the patience to decode meanings from drawings. While reading the book, I had to pause and try to think of what lesson the drawing is passing across. I also had to skip some of them when I could not make sense of them. That could be due to my inexperience with grannies or my cultural background. I found no typographical errors and no grammatical errors. The book was also professionally edited.

I would rate Our Autumn Years three out of four stars due to the reasons I mentioned above. There were no profanities or sexual scenes. So, I recommend this book to people of all ages and caregivers.

Our Autumn Years
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

kdstrack
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 125
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 106
Currently Reading: The Paradox Syndrome
Bookshelf Size: 418
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: The little Candle by Richard W. Rogers

Post by kdstrack »

Your original title says a lot about the book's message. I thoroughly enjoyed your description of how our attitudes change (and hopefully mature) as we age. Time changes so many things. I appreciated your comments about the illustrations. Great review and recommendation!

TADSAILS
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tadsails.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by TADSAILS »

What an interestingly informative book about adults in our society. Readers could easily relate. Nice review

Laurina_Olowo
Currently Reading:

Post by Laurina_Olowo »

kdstrack wrote:
21 Jul 2020, 18:33
Your original title says a lot about the book's message. I thoroughly enjoyed your description of how our attitudes change (and hopefully mature) as we age. Time changes so many things. I appreciated your comments about the illustrations. Great review and recommendation!
Thank you for your kind words. I'm happy you enjoyed the review.

Laurina_Olowo
Currently Reading:

Post by Laurina_Olowo »

TADSAILS wrote:
22 Jul 2020, 08:57
What an interestingly informative book about adults in our society. Readers could easily relate. Nice review

Thank you for reading.

xsquare
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-xsquare.html
Latest Review: The Mountain and The Goat by Siamak Taghaddos

Post by xsquare »

Thank you for your insightful review. I think the author's take on growing old is very interesting.

khaulah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-khaulah.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by khaulah »

This feels really heartbreaking that people have to be "taught" about older people. I really hope this book makes a difference. Thank you for your insightful review!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”