Review by Yasmira_M -- Creating Literary Stories: A Fict...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Yasmira_M
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yasmira-m.html
Latest Review: Days Passed by Mcentry Dunbar II

Review by Yasmira_M -- Creating Literary Stories: A Fict...

Post by Yasmira_M »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide" by William H. Coles.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Plot, character, point of view, and dialogue are all essential in literary fiction. But is this all about creating a story? and what does any of the above mean? William H. Coles in his book Creating literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide seeks to answer that question. In a book of not up to 150 pages made up of two parts, Book One and Book Two, the author guides the reader in every possible aspect in writing literary fiction. Book one which is all about the literary story in fiction starts off with defining major terms related to fiction writing like structure, literary, fiction, theme, characterization and plot It moves on to detailing aspects of writing such as characterization, narration and the different POV's, dialogue, conflict, humor, writing in scene and so much more. Book one is basically all about understanding the various elements of writing and how they can either make or destroy a story.

Book two on the other hand teaches the reader how to create a successful literary fiction. The author concludes the book with an appendix with amazing questions every writer should ask him or herself when writing a story.

This book was a real eye-opener for me as I discovered how little I actually knew about writing fiction. It is a book filled with so much useful information written in an entertaining manner that held my attention even more than a fictional novel. The author used examples throughout the book to explain the various concepts. For example, he used the story of The Little Red Riding Hood to explain the role of character-based stories. This method of teaching was constant throughout the book which made it so much easier to comprehend all the lessons in the book while making it more entertaining. The book is generally easy to read with such flow and cohesion that made it both educative and entertaining.

I always thought of becoming a writer and this book has not only motivated me to start my book but has also given me so many tips on making it a bestseller. The book discusses the differences between the various types of POVs, listing their advantages and disadvantages, and also when which is needed. Embarrassingly enough, I also found out through the author that there is actually a difference between literary fiction and genre fiction and how necessary a narrator is in a book. In all honesty, there was so much I didn't know about writing although I believed I did. I'm glad I came across this book that sheds so much light on my obliviousness to writing fiction.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 . The book is perfectly written and professionally edited that adds to its many advantages. I recommend this book to anyone with an interest in writing fiction and I think it will benefit both experienced and amateur writers. I'm sure to read this masterpiece over and over until I internalize its teachings. I also believe that schools should use this book as a textbook for creative writing classes to greatly reduce writing fails.

Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords
bookreviewmi1111
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookreviewmi1111.html
Latest Review: Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide by William H. Coles

Post by bookreviewmi1111 »

I liked this useful book. Even though I am not planning to write any fictional book, but it helped me understand about storytelling. Thanks for the review.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”