Review by derialist -- The Secrets of Living A Fantastic...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
derialist
2019 Reading Goal: 40
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-derialist.html
Latest Review: The Secrets of Living A Fantastic Life by Dr Allen Lycka, Harriet Tinka

Review by derialist -- The Secrets of Living A Fantastic...

Post by derialist »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Secrets of Living A Fantastic Life" by Dr Allen Lycka, Harriet Tinka.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Greek philosopher Epictetus once said,” It’s not what happens to you, but how you react to what happens that matters.” Sometimes well-meaning people can find themselves in difficult circumstances because that’s how life works. It’s a measure of good things versus bad things. Depending on how lucky or unlucky you are, you can get more of the good or more of the bad, so we must learn how to manage our reactions to circumstances - particularly the bad ones.

Dr. Allen Lycka is a world-class cosmetic dermatologist, thought leader, philanthropist, with over 40 years of practicing medicine. However, at age 56, he was misdiagnosed of having Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis. According to the doctor’s diagnosis, he only had a few more months to live and that he had better get his affairs in order. Harriet Tinka is an accountant, youth worker, marathon runner, and a former fashion model. While studying at university, she had a terrifying encounter when a colleague abducted her and ended up physically abusing her in an ordeal terrifying to imagine.

The Secrets To Living A Fantastic Life is a joint work by Dr. Allen Lycka and Harriet Tinka in which they give personal accounts of what happened to them and what influenced the change in their perspective on life. They guide the reader through what they call the 13 golden pearls, which are secrets to living a fantastic life. To quote the book, “Pearls are a perfect metaphor for transcendence. ”. The book is structured around the pearls, in which the authors educate the reader on their essence using conversation-style dialogue that is friendly and easy to follow.

Each pearl discusses ideas about how readers can integrate them into their personal lives. I enjoyed the banter between the authors, and it’s one of those things that made the ideas memorable. The reader can’t help feel like they’re part of the conversation, which is an effective technique to ensure the book leaves an impact on the life of the reader. The use of stories relevant to the pearls is another aspect that I loved about the book because stories are memorable. Stories are an effective way to teach, especially for a book with a broad spectrum of lessons. They make it easier to absorb the lessons, which was a clever technique by the authors.

I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars because of it’s potential to do good in the reader’s life, especially when they’ve been through a challenge that seems impossible to escape. There were no typographical errors in the book, but the copy of the book I read had some formatting errors, which forced me to deduct a star. However, once I figured out how to read the book, it wasn’t much of an issue, but the publisher might want to look into it, in case there are more copies with the issue.

The book is suitable for anyone who wants to discover what the 13 golden pearls are, and how they can use them to lead more impactful lives. However, there are descriptions of violent encounters that make it unsuitable for children.

The Secrets of Living A Fantastic Life
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

sanjus
2019 Reading Goal: 21
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 100
2018 Reading Goal: 25
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 56
Currently Reading: Charles' Story
Bookshelf Size: 366
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sanjus.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by sanjus »

I liked the quote of Epictetus that said,” It’s not what happens to you, but how you react to what happens that matters.”. I think there are definitely some takeaways from this book. Thanks for your honest review.
life is only knowing the unknown, we can do this by reading books easily- I believe this is my own quote. If someone quoted this before I am glad to know.

Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: Can I Be Frank? by Rob Wyatt

Post by Ellylion »

Sorry to learn about the formatting and other issues, considering how promising this book is! :) I loved that the authors wrote the book using their own experience and sharing their wisdom with readers. Thank you for the insightful review!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”