Review by Adanna Inya -- Masters and Bastards

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Adanna Inya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adanna-inya.html
Latest Review: Masters and Bastards by Christopher J. Penington

Review by Adanna Inya -- Masters and Bastards

Post by Adanna Inya »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Masters and Bastards" by Christopher J. Penington.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Masters and Bastards by Christopher J. Penington is an interesting book of the sci-fi/fantasy genre. It revolves around Andreas Marset, a very intelligent Arpathian bastard who is a legionary in the Iberian army. He is barely seventeen years of age and lives in the Iberian Empire on planet Poltervaut. Andreas and other Arpathians are regarded as lowborn who are inferior to the Iberians. As a result of his birth status, he suffers limitations and has to work extra hard for everything he wants.

Aliens from planet Vulgaris plan to take over Poltervaut and two other planets named Gideon and Rubicon. But the inhabitants of the three target planets are at war with each other. They must come together to defeat the common enemy by installing one emperor to rule over the three planets. They must also have only one army commandant. The race for the throne begins. Andreas Marset is right in the middle of all the madness. Everyone has an agenda. We see treachery, manipulation, scheming, deception, sorcery, unexpected graces, secrets, and scandals. Andreas must tread with caution because there is no friend in the jungle.

I love the complexity of the plot because it engages the reader's mind. The story has such twists and turns that it becomes unpredictable, making the reader invested. While reading this novel, I sometimes found myself pacing around because I couldn't contain the suspense. Christopher J. Penington put so much thought into the storyline of this book.

Masters and Bastards is narrated in the third person, but the author didn't drown the characters. He gave them ample time to speak and share their thoughts. He also did a great job of character development, especially with the main players. I love to think that the author has a thing for the "old plus new world charm" which he blends so well. One minute, I'm reading about sophisticated computers, and the next minute, the characters are putting on Victorian dresses. I felt like I was alternating between two worlds. My best characters in the book are Andreas Marset and Godfrey Holst. I love their good-natured banter and jabs. The author sprinkled humor throughout the book.

However, as much as I enjoyed this novel, it was not without flaws. Certain dialogues in the book dragged for so long that I almost gave up. I feel that beating around the bush for extended periods isn't necessary. Again, I noted numerous errors that distracted me in no small measure. These errors range from misused homophones to missing words, wrong tenses, and misspelled words. This book also contains loads of profanities and wasn't thoroughly edited. Due to the flaws that I have mentioned, I rate Masters and Bastards 3 out of 4 stars.

I recommend this book to lovers of science fiction and fantasy novels. This book will take you on a rollercoaster.

Masters and Bastards
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

sirbobthewise
Currently Reading: Embracing Defeat
Bookshelf Size: 223
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sirbobthewise.html
Latest Review: PRAGUE: Darkness Descending by Robert Tecklenburg

Post by sirbobthewise »

Penington seems to be a pro at writing dialogue with “good-natured banter and jabs,” so it’s nice to hear that he’s introduced that into this book as well. While I’ve read another book by him and loved it, I’ve been tentative about reading this book because it seemed a little too complicated and science fiction-y to my liking. But, I think this is the best review I’ve read for this book so far; your summary really pulled out aspects that would have me interested, so you’ve got me reconsidering. Great job!

Adanna Inya
Currently Reading:

Post by Adanna Inya »

sirbobthewise wrote:
25 Jun 2020, 01:18
Penington seems to be a pro at writing dialogue with “good-natured banter and jabs,” so it’s nice to hear that he’s introduced that into this book as well. While I’ve read another book by him and loved it, I’ve been tentative about reading this book because it seemed a little too complicated and science fiction-y to my liking. But, I think this is the best review I’ve read for this book so far; your summary really pulled out aspects that would have me interested, so you’ve got me reconsidering. Great job!
Yes! I'd previously done a review of Pennington's "Hand Bringer" and I noticed that he has a thing for humor and blended worlds. The storyline is indeed complex. I had to pull up with some extra concentration. But as usual, Christopher has done it again. Thank you for commenting.

NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
2019 Reading Goal: 50
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 162
Currently Reading: Zona: The Forbidden Land
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Post by NetMassimo »

I read this novel and I liked its complexities with court intrigue and interstellar war. I didn't mind the dialogues as they gave me some time to breathe. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo

Adanna Inya
Currently Reading:

Post by Adanna Inya »

NetMassimo wrote:
25 Jun 2020, 10:29
I read this novel and I liked its complexities with court intrigue and interstellar war. I didn't mind the dialogues as they gave me some time to breathe. Thank you for your great review!
True, I needed to breathe at some point, but I found the dialogues and mind games unnecessarily dragged out not times. Thank you for commenting.

Dee_Robert
2019 Reading Goal: 50
Favorite Author: C. S. Lewis
Currently Reading: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dee-robert.html
Latest Review: The Secrets of Living A Fantastic Life by Dr Allen Lycka, Harriet Tinka
fav_author_id: 4569

Post by Dee_Robert »

It has quite an interesting plot and sounds very thrilling

Great Review.
For me, For man & For God.
-Dee.

Adanna Inya
Currently Reading:

Post by Adanna Inya »

Dee_Robert wrote:
25 Jun 2020, 10:54
It has quite an interesting plot and sounds very thrilling

Great Review.
Grazie Dee! The plot is indeed interesting. Thank you for commenting.

Caffrey_19
2019 Reading Goal: 40
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caffrey-19.html
Latest Review: Sandra Eden's War by Michael Low

Post by Caffrey_19 »

I've read this book, and I enjoyed the storyline as well as the chess-like moves played by the principal characters. I enjoyed your review.

Kelyn
2019 Reading Goal: 35
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 188
Currently Reading: Untold Deception
Bookshelf Size: 206
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelyn.html
Latest Review: The Antithesis by Terra Whiteman
Reading Device: B018QAYM7C

Post by Kelyn »

I've had this one on my reading shelf for...well, a long time. Maybe I need to blow off the dust and read it! Andreas sounds like a very intriguing character and who doesn't love the banter between best friends, especially when it's pointed! Thanks for reminding me of this book!

Adanna Inya
Currently Reading:

Post by Adanna Inya »

Caffrey_19 wrote:
25 Jun 2020, 15:39
I've read this book, and I enjoyed the storyline as well as the chess-like moves played by the principal characters. I enjoyed your review.
I'm happy that you enjoyed it.

Adanna Inya
Currently Reading:

Post by Adanna Inya »

Kelyn wrote:
25 Jun 2020, 22:54
I've had this one on my reading shelf for...well, a long time. Maybe I need to blow off the dust and read it! Andreas sounds like a very intriguing character and who doesn't love the banter between best friends, especially when it's pointed! Thanks for reminding me of this book!
Andreas is worth all the hype, I tell you.

Usma Khann
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-usma-khann.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Usma Khann »

Having read his other book, I deduced that the author has a way of stringing words together. Masters and Bastards seems to be no exception. Thank you for your honest review.🌸
Readers know it. Authors know it. Publishers know it. A promising review sells books! :roll:

Adanna Inya
Currently Reading:

Post by Adanna Inya »

Usma Khann wrote:
26 Jun 2020, 01:43
Having read his other book, I deduced that the author has a way of stringing words together. Masters and Bastards seems to be no exception. Thank you for your honest review.🌸
You are absolutely right.

Prisallen
2019 Reading Goal: 104
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 69
Favorite Book: The Unbound Soul
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 116
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Dark Bliss by Shay Mills

Post by Prisallen »

I have read several reviews of this book, and I think yours is one of the best at summarizing the plot. I feel like I have a good handle on what it is about now. Wonderful review!

Adanna Inya
Currently Reading:

Post by Adanna Inya »

Prisallen wrote:
26 Jun 2020, 08:33
I have read several reviews of this book, and I think yours is one of the best at summarizing the plot. I feel like I have a good handle on what it is about now. Wonderful review!
Thank you so much.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”