Review by Faithmwangi -- Our Autumn Years by Arthur Hartz

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Faithmwangi
2019 Reading Goal: 30
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 66
2018 Reading Goal: 50
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 40
Currently Reading: Empowered
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-faithmwangi.html
Latest Review: Rescued by E. Alan Fleischauer

Review by Faithmwangi -- Our Autumn Years by Arthur Hartz

Post by Faithmwangi »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Our Autumn Years" by Arthur Hartz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

One of the things that are inevitable in this life is aging. It is a fate that has to be experienced by all. The problem is when people grow old, they are considered burdens. This is why most of them are placed in retirement homes. As if that is not enough, their opinions are disregarded and nothing they say is taken seriously. The fact of the matter is, getting old comes with some undesirable problems. One is falling sick constantly, moving slowly, all of your body parts ache, and your bowels become loose. However, this does not mean old people are not wise. The knowledge they have gathered over the years could prove useful.

Our Autumn Year’s, by Arthur Hartz, is an intriguing book of cartoons and aphorisms. It takes a look at the elderly and their behavior. It portrays them as well abled human beings. Despite their shortcomings, they are still capable of humor and wisdom. They are shown to be interesting people and not the annoying individuals they are thought to be.

Yes, the elderly are fragile and require a lot of care and attention. But they also require respect and love. Getting old is a subject that is often feared. Not many people openly speak about it. This is the time when friends die and you are left wondering when your time will come. It is a time of reflection and sadly this reflection is accompanied by regret. For example, in the book, there is a statement that talks about elderly people wishing they could have done what they wanted to do while younger.

The book was written in a simple manner that is easy to understand. I encountered no errors, proof that it was well edited. My mind was entertained and challenged at the same time. I couldn’t help but laugh at some of the images. For example, a woman drops her purse and says to herself, “what goes on the floor stays on the floor”. All because her back couldn’t allow her to bend and pick it up.

I enjoyed the book immensely. It opened up my eyes to a subject that is mostly ignored. It has me being conscious of those around me and how I treat them. I recommend this book to people of all ages as it acts as an eye-opener. It’s a short read and those looking for a weekend read will enjoy it. Those looking for a complex read that is lengthy will not appreciate it. I gladly award this read 4 out of 4 stars.

Our Autumn Years
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
"Reading is essential for those who seek to rise above the ordinary.” – Jim Rohn

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”