Review by Josep22 -- The Secrets of Living A Fantastic ...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Josep22
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-josep22.html
Latest Review: The Secrets of Living A Fantastic Life by Dr Allen Lycka, Harriet Tinka

Review by Josep22 -- The Secrets of Living A Fantastic ...

Post by Josep22 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Secrets of Living A Fantastic Life" by Dr Allen Lycka, Harriet Tinka.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

We can all learn a lot from successful people, even more from those who have failed and those who hate us. However, some of the greatest lessons we will ever learn in life are from those who have been through hell and back, those who know what it means to fail and to succeed. This book, The Secrets of Living A Fantastic Life, gives us the perfect opportunity to do exactly that, learn from those who have been through the fire. It is the story of how Dr. Allen Lycka and Harriet Tinka discover the golden pearls of life through their own experiences.

Dr. Lycka is a world-class cosmetic dermatologist. He was diagnosed with Lon Gehrig's disease some years back and was given six months to live. Years later, he still lives to tell his story. Harriet Tinka, on the other hand, is an accountant, counselor, and former model who was kidnapped, stabbed, and left for dead by her ex-lover. They each drew lessons from these experiences and share them with us in this amazing book. They give us 13 secrets to living a fantastic life. They choose to call them the 13 golden pearls. The book is written in the form of a dialogue between the two co-authors. Every chapter has a story told by one of the two authors to further explain the pearls.

I absolutely loved this book. It is not only practical and real but also so captivating and inspiring. The style of writing made the book so lively and enjoyable. I could not put it down. I felt like I was part of the conversation the two writers were having. The language used is simple and easy to understand. The book is so informative and factual, proof of the extensive research that went into the writing of the book. I particularly loved it when Dr. Lycka described love in the ancient Greek concept. He explains everything in such great detail and makes them seem so simple. I also loved the humor in the book. Harriet, especially, always came up with funny stuff in the middle of conversations.

My favorite pearl in the book was victory. I have always had a different view on this topic. A view I have insisted on for a long time. I've always shied away from competition while convincing myself it was all about me and whether I was happy with where I was and what I was doing. Dr. Lycka's and Harriet's arguments, however, were that there are only two things in life, winning and misery. After reading through their persuasive and well-reasoned points, I'm now convinced to change my perception of the topic. That chapter was so refreshing.

I give this book a perfect rating of 4 out of 4 stars. The book was well-written and professionally edited. I could not find a thing I disliked about the book. It is actually one of those books I'd recommend to everyone because of this quote in the book; Two things are inevitable in life, pain, and suffering. There is no way we can avoid these however much we try. This self-help book, however, gives you a proposal on how you can live a fantastic life despite these difficulties. A wonderful read indeed.

The Secrets of Living A Fantastic Life
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”