Review by Lunastella -- Kindred Journeys

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: People we meet on vacation
Bookshelf Size: 2398
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Review by Lunastella -- Kindred Journeys

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Kindred Journeys" by Marjorie Tapley-Olson.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

A series of fortuitous events join a cop and amateur writer, a discontented nurse, a blunt widow, a good-natured farmer, and a senile hospice patient in a quest for identity, family, and past events that determined their lives. Kindred Journeys by Marjorie Tapley-Olson is a story of unbelievable circumstances, hard choices, and the quest needed to find one’s place in the world.

My favorite asset of the book was the character development. The plot wouldn’t work if the author hadn’t paid painstaking attention to details in the construction of the characters, their quirks, and their backstories. Sometimes it’s extremely obvious that the author is trying to create a distinct character, and it almost feels fake, but this is not the case. This is one of the few books where I like every character. Sure, Martha made some questionable decisions and so did Farley, but they’re very well justified.

The narrative of this novel is exceptional. The descriptions are bewitching in their simplicity. Take Betty’s description, for example: “She was apple pie and care packages and a shoulder to cry on.”

The dialogues are outstandingly natural. It’s emphasized when some characters talk with “backwoods dialect” (using the author’s words) and this gives a lot of believability to the story. The way each character talks was a clue for me to solve the puzzle. There are many players in the story and although the author alternates the chapters focusing on different characters and timelines, she’s also a master at anchoring, so I never got confused about what she was talking about. The pacing is perfect, and the plot keeps you guessing. Even if it isn’t a high-stakes kind of novel, I couldn’t put it down until I solved the mystery.

The main flaw of the novel was the ending. I won’t give away spoilers, but I can say it was so abrupt I had to check if I didn’t buy a faulty copy of the book. It’s not fair to create such an emotional novel and don’t give the reader some time to process the ending! I can only hope this is because the author is planning a sequel.

I learned a lot from this book, but I’ll mention one lesson that’s not often considered: smarts don’t necessarily come from college titles or “proper” education. Ariel was maybe the wisest character in the book even if she was illiterate and her matter-of-fact, no-nonsense attitude that could be interpreted as a lack of manners made her even more charming and trustworthy.

Even though the topics approached in the novel are serious and emotional, there are so many humorous dialogues that the reading never becomes exhausting. For example, the following dialogue from Michael: “Yeah, maybe. Well, I don’t just wallow in self-pity. Usually I positively swim in it.” Time flies by with this book, but the characters will stay with you for a long time.

The book contains some profanities and very brief sexual scenes. They’re not extremely explicit, but I would suggest teens under the age of 13 not to read the novel or to do so under adult supervision. There’s also mention of sexual abuse, so I would advise caution for survivors or readers sensitive to this topic.

I would’ve gladly granted this novel a perfect rating, but the abrupt ending and the fact that I found over ten minor mistakes (mostly misplaced quotation marks) forced me to subtract a star. For its outstanding character development, witty dialogues, perfect pacing, and unforgettable story, I rate Kindred Journeys by Marjorie Tapley-Olson 3 out of 4 stars.

I would recommend this novel to anyone who enjoys personal narratives, small-town mysteries, emotional stories, and memorable characters. Aspiring writers that want to learn how to make magic with simple language should take a look at this book too. Sci-fi fans or readers who only like high-stake thrillers might not enjoy this book so much.

Kindred Journeys
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Dee_Robert
Favorite Author: C. S. Lewis
Currently Reading: Reel sisters
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dee-robert.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz
fav_author_id: 4569

Post by Dee_Robert »

This sounds like a great and thrilling book. It is essential that author develops characters as this author seems to have done, it's wonderful.

Terrific review.
For me, For man & For God.
-Dee.
khaulah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-khaulah.html
Latest Review: The Movie Chair by Shari Borkin

Post by khaulah »

Well developed characters and believable dialogues are a must for a book to be good. Guess this book would be a great read. Nice review!
Susmita Biswas
Currently Reading: Fuzzy Bunny Slippers
Bookshelf Size: 595
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-susmita-biswas.html
Latest Review: The MISOGI Method by Jody B. Miller

Post by Susmita Biswas »

Seems like a very strong and inspirational character. This kind of books always delivers a message. I like them. Thanks for the review dear.
Susmita Roy :techie-studyinggray:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html

Susmita Biswas wrote: 27 Jun 2020, 04:34 Seems like a very strong and inspirational character. This kind of books always delivers a message. I like them. Thanks for the review dear.
It's a lovely book and I believe you'd like it because we usually have similar taste, @Susmita Biswas.
Thank you for your kind words!

khaulah wrote: 25 Jun 2020, 19:21 Well developed characters and believable dialogues are a must for a book to be good. Guess this book would be a great read. Nice review!
I believe so myself.
Thanks for stopping by!

Dee_Robert wrote: 25 Jun 2020, 11:38 This sounds like a great and thrilling book. It is essential that author develops characters as this author seems to have done, it's wonderful.

Terrific review.
Character development is essential, in my opinion.
Thanks for your kind comment! :tiphat:
Marion Jepkosgei
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marion-jepkosgei.html
Latest Review: Randy the Irresistible by S M Goodier

Post by Marion Jepkosgei »

I totally love your review. It's wonderful and it reflects how unforgettable the book.
Stephanie Runyon
Favorite Author: Destiny Hawkins
Favorite Book: The Omicron Six
Currently Reading: The North Factor
Bookshelf Size: 1662
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-runyon.html
Latest Review: Deadly Sexy Lizzy Vol. 1-3 by Michael Richey
Reading Device: B07R3HTWLN
fav_author_id: 100303

Post by Stephanie Runyon »

I have been debating about reading this book before I saw your review. I like strong character development in the stories I read. You are very thorough and I'm adding this to my want to read shelf
"Facts don't care about feelings." Ben Shapiro
"Don't try to keep up with me, I live on the edge too thin to see." Ryan Upchurch
"See, one man's inconvenience is another's joy." NF
Usma Khann
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-usma-khann.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by Usma Khann »

Looks like the author has given a distinctive and unique personality to each character. Appreciate the insightful review.🌸
Readers know it. Authors know it. Publishers know it. A promising review sells books! :roll:
Bits Of Inkling
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bits-of-inkling.html
Latest Review: Awakening by Tayma Tameem

Post by Bits Of Inkling »

Firstly, I would like to say that your review was really good. The way your wrote it was very organized. 👌

I'm not really into super emotional stories. I just want to avoid heartaches. I usually find escape in fictions that's why I will choose this type of story last on my list. But I like how the characters were presented, with their different stories it looks relatable. And I think, it will be impossible that a reader wont take lots of learning from this story.
Nerea
Favorite Author: William H. Coles
Favorite Book: Diamond and Pearls
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 675
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nerea.html
Latest Review: Little White Lies by JC Anderson
Reading Device: Laptop
fav_author_id: 89641
Signature Addition: No Wahala

Post by Nerea »

True. Without good character development, the plot may not work out well. The book seems to have a lot of merits, and I love the idea shared in the book. I might give the book a try. Excellent review Stella.
"Regular reading improves your grammar."
No Wahala

Marion Jepkosgei wrote: 27 Jun 2020, 18:30 I totally love your review. It's wonderful and it reflects how unforgettable the book.
I'm humbled by your kind words. Thank you!

Mounce574 wrote: 02 Jul 2020, 04:15 I have been debating about reading this book before I saw your review. I like strong character development in the stories I read. You are very thorough and I'm adding this to my want to read shelf
Don't hesitate. It's worth it! Hope you enjoy it.
Thanks for stopping by!

Usma Khann wrote: 02 Jul 2020, 06:29 Looks like the author has given a distinctive and unique personality to each character. Appreciate the insightful review.🌸
The amazing attention the author paid to the construction of the characters makes all the difference in the world for this book. Thank you!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”