Review by Sarah Tariq -- The Thundering Herd

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sarah Tariq
2019 Reading Goal: 25
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 60
2018 Reading Goal: 25
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 96
2017 Reading Goal: 15
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 46
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 205
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-tariq.html
Latest Review: The Thundering Herd by John E. Peltier
Reading Device: PDF

Review by Sarah Tariq -- The Thundering Herd

Post by Sarah Tariq »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Thundering Herd" by John E. Peltier.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Thundering Herd is a life story of John E. Peltier that starts from a rice farm and cattle ranch and ends up as a successful family construction business. The author gives an explicit account of how his family history shaped from the 17th century to date. The Peltier’s side (paternal) had its origin from France, while the Keillor’s side (maternal) had the Scottish Roots. Most of the family history, he narrated, was about the maternal side.

John was the fifth of the eleven children in the “Thundering herd”, the name given by her mother. Their life on the farm was full of a thrill. He shared some of the interesting memories of his parents’ first meeting and their little house that packed up eleven children. He also told about their tough routine of working on the farm, and about the eating pattern that his family used to follow.

In the ‘50s, life on the rice farm, located in Danbury, was not an easy option for his family. Harsh weather, financial constraints, and work overloads were their constant companions. However, his family was contented and happy with what they had. The author also shared the memories of his service in the Vietnam War as a Medical Corpsman from 1967 to 1969. The story alternated between farm life and his military experience. He made his construction company named Peltier Brothers Construction” and added several family members in his growing business.

The biography was all out fascinating for me. The author’s narrative was conversational and funny in some places. He gave very in-depth details of his life at the farm and in the medical battalion. This book is a nice piece to read; especially, if you have an agrarian background as most of the details revolve around the cattle ranch and procuring and cultivating agricultural lands. Moreover, the photos of the author’s family have been perfectly embodied and made the book even more compelling.

Some of the details were exhausting; however, the alternating narrative didn’t let me get bored out of it. I feel the story of his life is like a movie as you can’t imagine in the start that a farm boy with an uncertain future will turn into a successful business owner. In a line, “unity is strength” is the core theme of his life. The other part of his personality caters to his connection to God, specifically, during the Vietnam War when he saw the death dancing around him.

As for the downsides of the book, I have almost no complaint. Only at some places, chiefly at the start, there were excessive back history details but they were properly incorporated in the book.

If you love biographies, it would be a treat for you. On the editing side, I would say the book is professionally edited as I noticed only a few minor typos. There was no profanity or sensitive content. I wholeheartedly rate this book 4 out of 4 stars and recommend it to the fans of memoir.

The Thundering Herd
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Make your ideals high enough to inspire you and low enough to encourage you.

📕📖📰📓📕

Tonika632
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tonika632.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Post by Tonika632 »

I love to read about becoming successful. It was hard back in time, and that's why this book is interesting. Great review!

Rubbi
2019 Reading Goal: 50
Currently Reading: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rubbi.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Rubbi »

That sounds like an inspiring story of success.

Sarah Tariq
Currently Reading:

Post by Sarah Tariq »

Tonika632 wrote:
23 Jun 2020, 08:17
I love to read about becoming successful. It was hard back in time, and that's why this book is interesting. Great review!
Thanks for commenting, Tonika!

📕📖📰📓📕

Sarah Tariq
Currently Reading:

Post by Sarah Tariq »

Rubbi wrote:
27 Jun 2020, 19:15
That sounds like an inspiring story of success.
Thanks for giving feedback, Rubbi!

📕📖📰📓📕

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”