Review by Nicole_Boyd -- House of Eire by June Gillam

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Nicole_Boyd
Currently Reading: Devil in False Colors
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nicole-boyd.html
Latest Review: House of Eire by June Gillam

Review by Nicole_Boyd -- House of Eire by June Gillam

Post by Nicole_Boyd »

[Following is a volunteer review of "House of Eire" by June Gillam.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Travel to the ”old country” of Ireland in the suspenseful story by June Gillam. House of Eire, the third book in the Hillary Broome Novel series centers around a middle-aged ghostwriter named Hillary. After finishing a high-paying project, she is ready for a break. She and her husband, Ed; seven-year-old daughter, Claire; and adopted grandma, Sarah, head off on a two-week vacation in Ireland. Hillary is going to meet a “sister-friend”, Bridget, who she has been in contact with for many years.

Bridget is a young lawyer who has been helping Hillary trace her ancestry. She is trying to get a memorial set up in the center of a Disney-like theme park that is trying to get approval to go in to attract tourists and help the economy. But Bridget is walking a dangerous line. She had been researching the great famine that happened in the 1800s, and what she’s found is heartbreaking - and lethal. She’s been finding tiny dolls made out of hankies at her doorstep, hanging from trees on her late-night walks, and at her office. Someone is trying to warn her off, but she’s not one for giving up. Will Bridget be able to release what she has found to the public before it’s too late? And will Hillary be able to help and protect her friend from the “ghost” that is tailing her?

House of Eire was a fascinating read, even though the beginning was a bit slow. Once the family arrived in Ireland, the plot picked up. I liked it when it got to the mystery and suspense. I was dying to know who was behind the ghost-dolls. I was not expecting the ending, but of course, no spoilers are allowed, so you will have to read for yourself who is behind them.

Claire and Sarah were my favorite characters. They added a light side to the story and helped balance the heavier side of the plot. I wish that there would have been more details about Ireland. However, that is my personal preference as a history buff. I respect the fact that Gillam was trying to keep the plot moving forward without weighing it down with too many historical events and backstories. I think it had just the right amount for general audiences.

There were no actual curse words, at least none that I would consider curse words. “Arsholes” was used one time. I could find no grammatical or spelling errors.

It is with great pleasure that I award House of Eire a 3 out of 4 stars. The writing was excellent, keeping my attention from beginning to end. There were only illusions to intimate relationships, but no blatant sex scenes. I would recommend this book to people who like a good mystery, ghost stories, or people who want to travel to Ireland. This book would be appropriate for mid-teens and up. I would recommend people who are sensitive to stories with murders to stay away. And it does get a bit spooky, so maybe reading this at night would not be advised. I will definitely be going back to read the previous two books in the series.

House of Eire
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”