Review by jjcruz29 -- Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
jjcruz29
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jjcruz29.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Review by jjcruz29 -- Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by jjcruz29 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Burn Zones" by Jorge P. Newbery.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery is an eye-opening witness to his ability to overcome extreme challenges. This book also stands as a testament to what each and every individual is capable of accomplishing, if they are willing to push through what Newberry refers to as: “Burn Zones”.

Jorge Newberry, the author of the book Burn Zones, is no stranger to extreme challenges. In fact, for most of his life, he seemed to relish them. For him, “burn zones”: periods in life that he describes as requiring an individual to exhibit short but intense effort, were a necessary part of his existence. From paper boy to real estate mogul, Newberry references several times in his life where he challenged the status quo, consistently embracing difficult tasks head on. However, after a lifetime of challenging and overcoming his “burn zones”, Jorge Newberry faced a challenge that he could not beat. This challenge would both break him and form him into the man he is today; it would be his ultimate “burn zone”.

I enjoyed some sections of this book more than others. The part of the book I liked the most was toward the end of Burn Zones, where Newberry pulled together all the lessons that he’d learned, finally understanding the role he played in both his successes and his failures. I found this part of the book particularly eye-opening for me, as I thought about the application his realization could play in my life and the lives of others. Not all areas of this book were as inspiring however, the part I disliked the most was reading about Newberry’s racing career. I disliked this part of the book, not because it wasn’t interesting or relevant to him tying this book together, because it was (interesting and relevant). However, at times I felt like the minutia he entered into to describe each race was unnecessary and I felt myself, more often than not, simply wanting to get on with the book.

As an overall read, I rate Burn Zones 4 out of 4. For me this was an excellently written and exceptionally well edited book that I found difficult to put down. The highs and lows that Newberry faced were incredibly relatable. I would have appreciated having more insight into exactly how Newberry faced up to creditors after his Woodland Meadows fiasco. However, I welcomed the candor with which the author described both his successes and failures and I often found myself on the edge of my seat wondering what he would cook up next or what more he would be able to handle

This is a good book for individuals who have faced, or are currently facing, challenging periods in their life. It is well-balanced, as it lauds the benefit of hard work and determination as the precursors for success, while providing caution that sometimes these attributes can also be the catalysts to one’s failures.

Burn Zones
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”