Review by Anngladys -- Christ Without a Bride

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Anngladys
Currently Reading: Zona: The Forbidden Land
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anngladys.html
Latest Review: Christ Without a Bride by Michael J. Ray

Review by Anngladys -- Christ Without a Bride

Post by Anngladys »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Christ Without a Bride" by Michael J. Ray.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Title: Christ Without a Bride?
Author: Michael J. Ray

“God did not call us to just go to church, He called us to be the church.” This is one of the many thought-provoking statements found in this book, Christ Without a Bride?, written by Michael J. Ray. He explains what the church is, its characteristics and its mission.

He says, “A biblical worldview is a way of dealing with the world such that we act like Jesus twenty-four hours a day because we think like Jesus” and proceeds to give examples of how Jesus would act, for example by doing good to others. He also quotes Soren Kierkegaard when describing what faith should do, saying, “When faith in God begins to affect an individual, his entire existence is transformed. His obsession with immediate pleasures and pains dies away. Instead, his attention is increasingly focused on God.”

He talks of the inside and outside forces that hurt the church, and what brings about religious division. He cites the issue of women preaching in church, saying that it is prohibited and that women should teach God’s word to children and fellow women.

The 13-chapter book has reflective questions at the end of each chapter which aids the reader’s understanding of and meditation on the subject matter. The chapters flow well into each other, with every new chapter building on the contents of the previous one.

The book could very well serve as a bible study guide for use in fellowships because the questions would provoke lively discussions. Although this 127-page-book has many quotes from the Bible and ends with a bibliography, it surprisingly has no table of contents. This I disliked because it was hard to look for something specific when I needed to find it quickly. It is nonetheless a short, easy and interesting read with personal stories and other anecdotes shared to help convey the message of the book, which I like.

It is a professionally edited and formatted book, and I came across only one typo, which did not affect the reading experience in a negative way. For this reason, I would give the book four out of four stars. Towards the end of the book, the author says, “ … training may seem harsh, but when we are broken is when we will realize our dependence on God and will become close to him.” For this reason, I would recommend it to those who would like to understand the Christian faith, and for new Christian believers who would like to grow in their faith.

Christ Without a Bride
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
TasiWin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tasiwin.html
Latest Review: The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight

Post by TasiWin »

I am curious about the author's thoughts on the Church in the present day and how much it has evolved from the original church in the bible.

I am curious to understand the title as well.
Anngladys
Currently Reading: Zona: The Forbidden Land
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anngladys.html
Latest Review: Christ Without a Bride by Michael J. Ray

Post by Anngladys »

TasiWin wrote: 21 Jul 2020, 05:47 I am curious about the author's thoughts on the Church in the present day and how much it has evolved from the original church in the bible.

I'd encourage you to get a copy of this book. It will definitely answer your questions.
drwcroaker
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Currently Reading: Brothas from Anotha Motha
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-drwcroaker.html
Latest Review: Waterworks by Jack Winnick
Reading Device: B07XR7CPXG
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by drwcroaker »

Sounds like I would agree with most of what this author says. However, this quote...
He cites the issue of women preaching in church, saying that it is prohibited and that women should teach God’s word to children and fellow women.
... I do not agree with. I think this verse in Galatians 3:28 speaks to moving beyond old conceptions of male and female roles in the church:
There is neither Jew nor Gentile, neither slave nor free, nor is there male and female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus.
Anyway, thanks for your review.
We’re gonna need a bigger bookshelf.
TasiWin
Currently Reading:

Post by TasiWin »

drwcroaker wrote: 22 Jul 2020, 13:44 Sounds like I would agree with most of what this author says. However, this quote...
He cites the issue of women preaching in church, saying that it is prohibited and that women should teach God’s word to children and fellow women.
... I do not agree with it. I think this verse in Galatians 3:28 speaks to moving beyond old conceptions of male and female roles in the church:
There is neither Jew nor Gentile, neither slave nor free, nor is there male and female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus.
Anyway, thanks for your review.
I find the Bible to be full of contradicting verses. I you look hard enough, there is always a verse ready to validate your point.
TasiWin
Currently Reading:

Post by TasiWin »

Anngladys wrote: 22 Jul 2020, 13:27
TasiWin wrote: 21 Jul 2020, 05:47 I am curious about the author's thoughts on the Church in the present day and how much it has evolved from the original church in the bible.

I'd encourage you to get a copy of this book. It will definitely answer your questions.
i will try it though I think I might already be biased with his opinions on female leadership
TasiWin
Currently Reading:

Post by TasiWin »

I find I offensive that women are supposed to only teach amongst themselves or to children. It feels like they couldn't possibly have anything I importance to teach men
JeanyJean
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeanyjean.html
Latest Review: Adrift by Charlie Sheldon

Post by JeanyJean »

I love the title of the book. Fantastic. I also love the content. Christ must come and find his bride prepared. Are women not really supposed to preach? That's a controversial issue. Thank you for the lovely review

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”