Review by sri varshini303041 -- The Dark Web Murders

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
sri varshini303041
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sri-varshini303041.html
Latest Review: Fish Wielder by J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison

Review by sri varshini303041 -- The Dark Web Murders

Post by sri varshini303041 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Dark Web Murders" by Brian O'Hare.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Four men are dead: a judge, a teacher, a barrister, and a criminal. They seem to have nothing to connect them. Nevertheless, they were all murdered in the same modus operandi. The Dark Web Murder by Brian O’Hare is an interesting detective crime thriller. Chief Inspector Jim Sheehan and his team need to find the killer, but they are always one step behind the killer. The only clue they have is the dark web entry of the killer, Nemein. A despicable secret is revealed during the investigation, one that will disturb quite a few prominent figures in the city.

The plot flows easily. Even though this is the fourth instalment in the series, it acts as a standalone book. Readers are easily able to understand the story without reading the other books of the series. I liked how the author revealed the killer to the readers and increased their anticipation of whether Sheehan would be able to nail them or not. This sense of suspense made me enjoy the book. Also, I liked how they acted as a team and respected and trusted each other. The way the whole team got composed to investigate every trait of the murder was incredible. Also, Allen and Stewart’s relationship was really good. I was reminded of the television series Criminal Minds.

However, I was not convinced how the talented inspector was not able to crack the simple clues that were before him, throughout the story. Also, I didn’t like the portrayal of homosexuals and bisexuals in this book. They are portrayed as sexual maniacs and offenders. Even the transgender character in the school is considered as an inconvenience. I did not enjoy the author’s views on these issues.

I liked the way the book dealt with the mind of a serial killer. I enjoyed that insight into the killer’s mind. I would suggest, though that the reader takes their time reading the killer’s blog. It’s not an easy read. The journals of the killer describe his justifications for the murder. It gave the readers a glimpse into the mind of a psychologically scarred serial killer. It also educates the readers about the social responsibility everyone has in this society.

I would like to rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. I am sure the book was professionally edited. There were a few grammatical mistakes throughout the book. The mistakes did not affect my understanding. If I wasn’t actively looking for them, I probably wouldn’t have noticed them. I would like to recommend this to the fans of Gone Girl, Dark Places, and Sharp Objects.

The Dark Web Murders
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”