Review by Mehwish Qaiser -- Mixed Blessings by J.M. Muse

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Mehwish Qaiser
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mehwish-qaiser.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Review by Mehwish Qaiser -- Mixed Blessings by J.M. Muse

Post by Mehwish Qaiser »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Mixed Blessings" by J.M. Muse.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Mixed Blessings by J.M. Muse follows a primary storyline and various short stories marginally intertwined. Michael Kublai Khan, a minister from The House of Jeremiah is a man on a mission, one he plans to fulfill through a partnership with a Korean based church and the employment of a marketing agency. His mission is about promoting equality in America, which he believes will be possible if Black and mixed-race individuals become a majority. The minister tries to reach this goal through arranged marriages and birthing centers.

Minister Kublai Khan is a powerful wealthy man. He can do anything, at any time, and has others do his bidding. He seals a deal with Hung Suk, an Asian leader. Hung Suk grooms Asian ladies while Khan trains black men. The deal is to incubate the black men's seed in the fertile wombs of Asian women.

Kublai Khan's priority is to ensure that the Black race rules the entire world and to prove that the Black race is superior to any other existing race. And the black population has to surpass any other race. The House of Jeremiah is then built. Its facilities include an Islāmic mosque (Church), a clinic (birth center) and an arena where black men were kept and groomed to later impregnate the Asian women.

Racism being the center plot of the book, special emphasis has been put by the author in defining the skin color and ethnic origin of most of the characters. Besides that, you would see how they have to face day-to-day problems, bullying and identity crisis because of their color only.

The character of Mr. Khan is the most well developed. He was ambitious and devoted to his goal. His daily routine is described in detail. I liked him. On the other hand, Kimberly was very limited to be called as another important character. Her personality is also not reflected to the extent I wanted, but I did like Ahmed. He was honest and caring. I also liked that the writer described the outfits of the characters intricately.

The author used the characters to demonstrate how religious beliefs can be both useful and harmful, depending on how they are applied.

Religion is considered as a nation's saving grace, the undefeated weapon that saves all human beings. But, when religious leaders have different preferences, therefore, using the same humanity to fight their battles, is terrible and hypocritical.

The only aspect that I did not like was the characterization of Kimberly. In the beginning, Kimberly went to visit her other family in Mexico. The visit was supposed to last one week. However, the author only documented the events of the first night when Kimberly arrived in Mexico. Muse did not include a detailed account of the events of the weeklong visit. It could have helped the reader to understand the character of Kimberly better. For that, I give the book 3 out of 4 stars .

Mixed Blessings
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”