Review by Miller56 -- Final Notice by Van Fleisher

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Miller56
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miller56.html
Latest Review: East Wind, 2nd edition by Jack Winnick

Review by Miller56 -- Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by Miller56 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Final Notice" by Van Fleisher.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Technology has come a long way to helping people improve their lives, but can technology go too far? Would you want to wear a watch that can tell of your impending death within thirty days? If so, what would you chose to do with those last days? Final Notice by Van Fleisher takes the reader on a journey of people who receive their death notice and the choices they made for their last days.

The main characters of the book, Vince and Trudi Fuller, were like millions of other retired people, enjoying friends and a simpler life. There was nothing unique in their story, but they seemed like down-to-earth people. Due to a couple of circumstances that resulted in Vince being a victim and disrespected, they started looking into guns for protection. This presented an opening in the book to discuss gun violence, the National Rifle Association (NRA), and the ease of obtaining a weapon.

The book kept my attention. There were different “final notice” stories that made the reader think about how they would react to the described circumstances. For example, there were stories of getting even with someone for a perceived wrong, getting fed up with people who just wear you down, handling illnesses, and performing acts of kindness. I think it is difficult to predict how you would respond to any situation unless you are in it, so it was interesting to read the scenarios presented.

I mostly enjoyed the book, however, there were a lot of political issues interspersed in the pages. The book talked a lot about the ease of buying guns, the ploy of the NRA to target elderly people, and gun violence. It also discussed a lot of racial biases. The book also was a bit repetitive. Many of the reactions people had to their death notices were similar. I think many people would react differently than what was presented in the book and I was hoping for more diversity in the tales. The political issues and lack of diversity led me to rate the book 3 out of 4 stars. The book appears to have been professionally edited. There were no grammatical, spelling, or punctuation errors that I found. There were some odd spacing throughout the book. For example, there were times when there was dialogue and the text was in different lines or paragraphs and in other instances the dialogue ran on in one sentence. There were also cases where leaders were used. In this case the leaders were started on a new line and a large space was left at the end of the previous line. I also saw different cases of spacing issues, but this may have been due to the media used.

I recommend this book to anyone who enjoys reading about political issues intermingled with a good story. This book would also be enjoyable to those who like reading suspense novels. The book is appropriate for teens and adults.

Final Notice
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”