Review by Kachi_Ejiogu+_ -- Mixed Blessings by J.M. Muse

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kachi_Ejiogu+_
Currently Reading: Sandra Eden's War
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kachi-ejiogu.html
Latest Review: Mixed Blessings by J.M. Muse

Review by Kachi_Ejiogu+_ -- Mixed Blessings by J.M. Muse

Post by Kachi_Ejiogu+_ »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Mixed Blessings" by J.M. Muse.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Over time, the concept of Racial war remains a defining attribute of the free world. The discrepancy between whites and people of colour invariably takes centre stage when it moves toward politics in America. Mixed Blessings by J.M. Muse attends to a fundamental storyline and various other brief anecdotes marginally interlaced. Minister Kublan Khan has a dream of an America where Blacks live equal with Whites. He knew the struggle won't be easy, but he was also determined. Will Minister Khan fulfil his dream of a New America or will a criminal threat scare him?.

On the sidelines, J.M. Muse includes other minor characters that are confronting bigotry in alternative ways. Kimberly visits Juarez to appreciate her Mexican ancestry. Will she be recognized by that side of her family or should she simply reaffirm her identity as White, and Jewish?. Star is half black and half Japanese. She enters a Japanese beauty pageant with high hopes and confidence. Will she overcome racist judges and jealous contestants?. How will she meet up with the expectations of her family?. After a suspicious death of a black teenager while in police custody, Reverend Harper commenced social movements trying to garner empathy for unprivileged black youths. Will he achieve this great feat?

Mixed Blessings is about social uproar created by racism in America. These delicate issues are explored from the various storyline that sometimes crosses over into each other and advances at different speeds including a jump forward in time. The author did quite a great job in developing the scenes in this read. For instance, Cynthia, who played a host in her TV show (Talk of Town), hosted Reverend Harper and Dalton. I imagined myself present during these meetings as both men crushed themselves apart.

If I could take away something, it would be the author's inability to keep some stories in flow alternatively. I found that in trying to tell a story, the author left another story unattended. For instance, Kimberly travelled to visit her family in Mexico for a week, the author only recorded the events for the first night. I expected him to include the details of the week-long visit as it would help the reader understand the character of Kimberley more.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars for handling such a thorny topic with a creative plot and unique personalities. Heads up, this read contains sex scenes that may not be to everyone's admiration and quite unsuitable for younger folks. The sexual content was kept on the tiniest. Wasn't too vague, not excessively vivid either. Christians may probably be mortified on how the book interprets the religion. I caught a glimpse of one error and reckon the book to be excellently edited. I recommend this read to people who believe prejudice is unhealthy and to people who would love to know more about Racism in America.

Mixed Blessings
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Leen282
Currently Reading: The Little Book of Bad Intentions
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leen282.html
Latest Review: In A Council Estate, Far Far Away... by John E. Statham

Post by Leen282 »

While I agree with you that the book touches on an important topic, I was disappointed. I felt the author a beautiful opportunity to make more out of it. Nice review though, it shows how different readers have different takeaways from a book.

jennydelacruz
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennydelacruz.html
Latest Review: Mixed Blessings by J.M. Muse

Post by jennydelacruz »

I have reviewed the book and I did not enjoy it as much as you did. I agree with @Leen282. It clearly shows that we have different views and takeaways from every book. It is a comprehensive review, nonetheless.

Elvis Best
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elvis-best.html
Latest Review: What's Your Favorite Color? by Amber L Lassiter

Post by Elvis Best »

I agree with you @@jennydelacruz , the book was a chore for me, honestly. However, we all have different views and I appreciate this review. Thanks
"People are like stained-glass windows. They sparkle and shine when the sun is out, but when the darkness sets in, their true beauty is revealed only if there is a light from within." -Elisabeth Kubler-Ross

kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
2019 Reading Goal: 95
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 86
Currently Reading: Sunshine at the Academy
Bookshelf Size: 343
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: A clock with Feet by Miss Henny

Post by kandscreeley »

I've seen a lot of mixed messages about this story. It's definitely a good theme; something that's important for today. Thanks!
Good books, like good friends, are few and chosen; the more select, the more enjoyable.
-Louisa May Alcott

Prisallen
2019 Reading Goal: 104
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 69
Favorite Book: The Unbound Soul
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 116
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Dark Bliss by Shay Mills

Post by Prisallen »

This sounds like an intriguing story based on racism. Thanks for your informative and interesting review!

Prachi Randeria
Favorite Book: Worldlines
Currently Reading: Swimsuit
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prachi-randeria.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Post by Prachi Randeria »

I have read a lot of mixed reviews regarding this book but it shows us a face of racism. Thanks for the review!

AmyMarie2171
Currently Reading: Fall of Giants
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amymarie2171.html
Latest Review: A Heart on the River by John Bauer

Post by AmyMarie2171 »

I'm glad that you dug out positive aspects to take away from this book. It touches on so many controversial topics that it was probably tough to fit them believably into one novel. Whatever the case, you did a very good job breaking the book down.

Seroney_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-seroney.html
Latest Review: Gringo by Dan "Tito" Davis

Post by Seroney_ »

THE measures put in place to fight racism were too radical. I didn't like the book for that. Great review!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”