Review by Ekta Swarnkar -- The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Ekta Swarnkar
Favorite Book: 30th Century: Escape (General Audience Edition)
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ekta-swarnkar.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Review by Ekta Swarnkar -- The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by Ekta Swarnkar »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Fox" by M. N. J. Butler.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Leotychides, son of two great fathers, is a proven bastard of Sparta. The identity of his birth father, Alkibiades, is revealed to him by his other father, King Agis, who despises him. Before dying, King Agis declared Leo his true heir but due to the king's disease the truth was not given much importance. Meanwhile, Leo's uncle, Agisilaos, regarded him as the bastard child and declared himself the rightful king. Will or will not Leotychides be able to become the king? Does he really want to be a king? Accepting his destiny Leo ventures the life of a normal person in the city of Sparta. He made friends for life and protects Spartan culture with his life. Is this what he really wanted? Was he happy to be called a bastard?

The Fox is an ancient historical fiction written by M. N. J. Butler. In this book you will learn about the city, its religion, and its traditional culture. The story often gives you information about the ancient gods. The tales of great kings of the Spartan culture are told more frequently by the characters in the story. I think the basic idea behind this book was to tell the lovers of historical fiction how the wars in Sparta were fought.

The strength of the book was its writing style. It is capable of taking you at that time. However, 755 pages and extremely small font were trying my patience but its impression was strong enough to keep me reading. I'm glad that I finished it. The story is a narrative of Leotychides and is narrated by him. It is interesting to read the life journey of a bastard and the most deserving king.

The character of Leotychides was brave and honest. He did not ever wish to become the king. All of his friends and family wanted him to become the king but he didn't want to be the king. I was having problems with this attitude. He should have claimed his right. Leo had a best friend, Dorieus. He was an ideal warrior. Leo admired him. His mother was an excellent character. She was the master of manipulation. The other characters were also strong.

I was having trouble remembering the names of everyone. They were so hard to pronounce. When I learned some of them, characters with almost similar names entered the game. The next thing is, the writer didn't mention in the story whenever he took a time gap. It was really difficult to understand. The title of the book is a bit odd. I don't understand why it was given.

The language is easy. I think it is interesting to read. There were some instances where I noticed some errors and missing punctuations. They can be neglected easily. I don't find any profanity in the book.

The readers who like historical fiction will like this one also. Those who don't read ancient fiction should not select this, it can bore you.

I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. I reduced a star because of some errors. Otherwise, it is an entertaining book.

The Fox
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
You live your dreams in the characters of the books you read. :techie-studyingbrown:

Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Post by Ellylion »

Frankly speaking, the number of pages scares me away from this book, otherwise it seems to be really worth reading :) I love historical fiction based on ancient Greece. Thank you for a great review!

Reader5698
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reader5698.html
Latest Review: The Onion Picker: Carmen Basilio and Boxing In The 1950s by Gary B. youmans

Post by Reader5698 »

I also found the names of the characters a bit too similar, especially when they appeared in the same paragraph. I still enjoyed the book overall. Great review!

sanjus
2019 Reading Goal: 21
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 100
2018 Reading Goal: 25
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 56
Currently Reading: Charles' Story
Bookshelf Size: 372
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sanjus.html
Latest Review: Maybe: My Memoir by Renee Minus White
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by sanjus »

It looks like interesting fantasy story of Leotychides which can keep reader engaged. Thanks for your brilliant review.
life is only knowing the unknown, we can do this by reading books easily- I believe this is my own quote. If someone quoted this before I am glad to know.

Usma Khann
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-usma-khann.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by Usma Khann »

I read the book too and it beautifully gives you an insight of what it means to be a Spartan. Appreciate the insightful review.🌸
Readers know it. Authors know it. Publishers know it. A promising review sells books! :roll:

Kanda_theGreat
2019 Reading Goal: 10
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 80
Currently Reading: The Fox
Bookshelf Size: 167
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kanda-thegreat.html
Latest Review: Born To Survive by Kylie-Anne Evans

Post by Kanda_theGreat »

I personally wasn't able to finish this book but I'm glad that you did.
Good job!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”