Review by Samgum50 -- The Hand Bringer

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Samgum50
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samgum50.html
Latest Review: Divided World by Kenneth Pickering

Review by Samgum50 -- The Hand Bringer

Post by Samgum50 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Hand Bringer" by Christopher J. Penington.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Hand Bringer by Christopher J. Penington is a vampire fantasy novel that follows Peter Hadrian, a police officer who gets infected on a police job gone wrong. Instead of being taken to a hospital, he’s whisked away to a secret military facility where he’s given treatment. This facility belongs to an organization under the FBI known as the Apocalypse Suppression Administration. The scientists working for ASA administer a special kind of treatment and genetically modify Peter to recruit him for their mission.

The organization seeks to rid the world of vampires by sending out a team to time travel to medieval Romania to kill Vlad Dracula, the Impaler. They believe that killing Dracula will stump the increasing cases of vampirism in the modern-day time. The mission has a rocky start when they are forced to depart prematurely after a security breach caused by a traitor in the organization. The group must survive the dangers and life-threatening conditions of medieval Romania to complete their mission and safely return to the future/present time.

I have to admit I’m not the biggest Sci-Fi fan, but I think the author did a wonderful job of making this book as fascinating as possible. The Hand Bringer provided me with enough entertainment that kept me glued to the story until the end. Even though I could predict some elements of the story, I wouldn’t say the storyline was predictable. Far from it the book had so many plot twists that left me both astonished and amazed. The writing was also very good, and it flowed well enough to make reading the book quite enjoyable.

I also appreciate how well researched, this book was. The author did such a good job with his representation of medieval Romania that I sometimes felt like I was there with the characters. Even the dialogue matched the period. The book also had very good character development. They were presented in a way that gave the reader enough information to form a proper opinion about them.

My favorite character was Peter; I sympathized with his plight, of getting a second chance to save his son. There were also elements of humor in the book as well through characters like Luke and Bat. Although it was mostly dark humor, but I was left laughing out loud many times while reading. I also love that the author lets Boriana and Peter’s relationship develop slowly instead of them rushing into it.

One of the minor issues I had with this book was the fact that the term ‘Hand Bringer’ was never really defined. They used the term to refer to Peter, but the meaning was never explained in the story. Plus towards the middle I felt like the story started dragging a bit. But the pace picked up eventually.

Overall, I would give this book 4 out of 4 stars. I could tell as I read the book was professionally edited because I did not encounter any typographical or grammatical mistakes. Plus the storyline was well written and well researched by the author. The Hand Bringer is a very fascinating read that I think will be perfect for mature or adult readers interested in both the science fiction genre and vampire fiction. The book could even be enjoyed by some historical fiction readers.

However, I feel like other readers who enjoy historical fiction wouldn’t like it entirely because of the fantasy elements of the book. I also don’t think the book would be suitable for young adult readers because it has more mature themes to it. The book does contain vulgar language and material of a sexual nature as well. Rape is mentioned in the book as well. This could be triggering or offensive to some readers who might have a problem with the offhanded way it’s presented in the book.

The Hand Bringer
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
unamilagra
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unamilagra.html
Latest Review: Powerballs by Jimmy Clifton
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by unamilagra »

I typically don't enjoy vampire stories, but I like the historical background you mentioned in this book. Great review!
ThomasCShearman1976
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 92
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thomascshearman1976.html
Latest Review: Guardian of Deceit by William H. Coles
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by ThomasCShearman1976 »

Good review! I reviewed this book, too, and it's interesting to read someone else's point of view. I've commented elsewhere that I think this book could be made into a great film.

And you're right about the Hand Bringer part, I never understood that either!
Leen282
Currently Reading: Live Your Life of Abundance
Bookshelf Size: 134
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leen282.html
Latest Review: Beautifully Scarred by Cewanda Todd

Post by Leen282 »

I read the book, loved it, and I don't recall either an explanation of the title Hand Bringer. I have some idea that formed while reading, but indeed it never got clarified in the book.
Marshal mutai
Currently Reading: The Sojourners
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marshal-mutai.html
Latest Review: Christ Without a Bride by Michael J. Ray

Post by Marshal mutai »

Such captivating review! It just beguiled me into reading science-fiction though am not a fan
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

I read this book and enjoyed it as well. I think your review is informative and interesting. Well done!
Caffrey_19
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caffrey-19.html
Latest Review: Rescued by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Caffrey_19 »

I have read this book, and I couldn't agree with you more. Especially where you said the writer was quite thorough in displaying ancient Romania as a result of proper research. Nice work.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I've seen several reviews for this book. It sounds interesting every time. I do like a good vampire fiction. I'm glad you enjoyed this one in spite of not really liking science fiction. Thanks for the introduction!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
sirbobthewise
Currently Reading: Embracing Defeat
Bookshelf Size: 222
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sirbobthewise.html
Latest Review: PRAGUE: Darkness Descending by Robert Tecklenburg

Post by sirbobthewise »

Great job with your review! I also read and reviewed this book, and it seems like I align a lot with your thoughts, especially regarding the research aspect. I’ve been reading some other reviews for the book, and I’ve noticed that quite a few people who aren’t huge sci-fi fans have actually enjoyed it. As a huge fantasy/sci-fi nerd myself, that makes me happy to hear. :)

I also was super curious about the “Hand Bringer” name. The closest I found to an “answer” was when Deycheaba says, “‘My companions whisper to me in the darkness, they whisper that I am to take a husband. Are you my worthy mate, Petru... the hands that bring death?’” (p. 189). If that’s all that we get, I’m not super satisfied with it as an answer, but I was mildly modified with finding the statement.
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

Vampire stories don't interest me that much. However! I like the element of time travel and the interesting twist the author puts on this theme. I also appreciate your comments about the historical fiction element, including the representation of Romania. Your review has intrigued me about this book. Great review!
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

Yes, that Hand Bringer term is a mystery. I know the vampire called Peter that at the beginning of the story. Perhaps the author can give us a hand in understanding it.
inaramid
Currently Reading: Siege and Storm
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inaramid.html
Latest Review: The Fourth Kinetic by Brady Moore

Post by inaramid »

This all seems interesting - vampires, time travel, dark humor, and family drama all mixed together. Thanks for the review!
Tonika632
Currently Reading: White Night
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tonika632.html
Latest Review: Chemicals and Christians by Martha McLaughlin

Post by Tonika632 »

I love sci-fi, but I was never into vampire stories. This one was unique and I loved it. Nice review!
bookreviewmi1111
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookreviewmi1111.html
Latest Review: Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide by William H. Coles

Post by bookreviewmi1111 »

I think this book should be turned into a movie. "Vampire" has never been a boring topic. Thank you for the review.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”