Review by ekg553 -- Filling Up a Hole by Jerry A. Greenberg

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
ekg553
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ekg553.html
Latest Review: Filling Up a Hole by Jerry A. Greenberg

Review by ekg553 -- Filling Up a Hole by Jerry A. Greenberg

Post by ekg553 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Filling Up a Hole" by Jerry A. Greenberg.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Sometimes in life we simply have to make difficult decisions in order to restore our own happiness. Unexpected circumstances throughout time remind us of who we are and who we have become. It is up to us to pave our future.

These are the facts of life that the characters must grapple with in the interesting book Filling Up A Hole: The Business of Life by Jerry A. Greenberg. In this story, set in a small town in Texas during the 1960s, a man by the name of Boyce Phillip’s is forced to consider his current life situation and his shortcomings after he hears that his wife, Dodie, is leaving him and that one of his son’s has been dabbling in prostitution. Up until now, Boyce has paid no attention to his dysfunctional-self nor his family, spending the majority of his time at the Men’s Room, a best-kept secret where powerful men from all over gather for matters of business and socialization.

Throughout the page-turning novel, Greenberg dives into Boyce’s past to provide the reader with insight as to who he is now, while also divulging information about other members of the family: his wife, two sons, and even his co-worker. All of these people in various stages of life have been feeling unfulfilled in some way or another. The question is, will each come to terms with what they are missing? Will each individual address their own needs to find happiness for their future?

I really enjoyed reading this story. From the very first paragraph, Greenberg writes with such vivid imagery and advanced vocabulary. You feel as though you are there. Throughout the novel, Greenberg uses wonderful description of scenes and characters. With the Phillip’s family, you see their complexities from the inside out. I enjoyed the dialogue between the characters, especially those between Dodie and her two sons, and between Dodie and her husband, Boyce. Their interactions are raw and real and thought-provoking. At other times, the conversations are comical, like those between Dodie and her female companions. I also enjoyed the historical content of this book; the touches on segregation, civil rights, the Women’s Rights Movement of the 1960s, the war and its effects on people and places, and the roles of family in society then and now.

There were some parts of the story that the author could have used more dialogue instead of directly stating to the reader about a character or his or her past. I also found a handful of errors throughout the book with word spacing, missing end marks, and missing quotations here and there, but it did not hinder from the flow of the story. Lastly, I wished the novel were a bit longer, with more time taken to slowly unravel the characters and their development from past to present.

This book is best for a more mature audience as it contains some profanity and also closely considers adult issues. It is a motivational read for anyone going through difficult times, needing to make a tough decision for their own happiness, or perhaps facing a lull in life. Being an at-home-mother with children of my own, I personally loved the women's fight for equality in this story.

For the reasons above, I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. The lessons on life and the insights into family and its complexities make this worth reading! Great job Greenberg!

Filling Up a Hole
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”