Review by geebeex -- The Dark Web Murders by Brian O'Hare

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
geebeex
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-geebeex.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Review by geebeex -- The Dark Web Murders by Brian O'Hare

Post by geebeex »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Dark Web Murders" by Brian O'Hare.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In The Dark Web Murders, Brian O’Hare spins a story of murder, deceit, and mystery as a group of detectives in Northern Ireland try to find the perpetrator of a string of murders. As the mystery progresses, more and more of the misdemeanors and crimes of the elite and rich are uncovered, culminating in scandal for the upper classes.

The novel starts with a young boy being killed on his first day in prison, with two other inmates accidentally causing his death through their threats of rape. Another body is found, that of a renowned judge, with a police truncheon thrust into his rectum. As more bodies are found, the police race to find the culprit before he commits another crime. The murderer documents his killings on the 'dark web’, in a series of blogs casting him in an incredibly intelligent and well-educated light, but also exposing the violence and emotion behind his attacks.

Brian O’Hare spares nothing in his telling of the murders. They are gory, grisly, and twisted to the highest extent. The book is a rollercoaster ride the entire way through, from the first horrifically captivating scene of the young boy in prison to the final showdown. There was not a moment when I wasn’t enraptured with the storytelling. O’Hare’s writing shows variety and confidence in his ability to string a compelling narrative. His rapport between officers was especially enjoyable, as it was clear that the characters were well developed, with their own strengths and weaknesses, each of which made them valuable to the team. I especially loved the relationship between Sheehan and Stewart, and the almost father-daughter admiration between them.

The Dark Web blogs are, alone, a piece of literary beauty. Although the language here is fairly advanced and at times seem to use long words just for the sake of seeming intelligent, this fits the personality type of the murderer completely. The deeper one reads into these blogs the deeper insight one gets into the mind of the murderer. I thoroughly enjoyed how these blogs were written into the book and the way the blogs ramp up the pace as the detectives lose time to find the murderer. I also enjoyed how the detectives reacted to these blogs - at times their confusion was almost comical, adding some lightness to an otherwise very intense novel.

This text is exceptionally edited, I didn’t notice any mistakes in the 300 pages. It is clear that it has been professionally edited. The voice of the killer is very well differentiated from the voices of the detectives, and the occasional looks into Sheehan’s mind keep the reader entertained and informed, almost as if they are in collusion with the detective. The list of characters at the beginning of the book is something I rarely see, and yet is very helpful, especially in a novel with this many characters all with the title detective!

Ultimately I feel this book is perfect for anyone who likes a dark mystery. There are some very blatant descriptions of death, torture, unusual sexual exploits, and pedophilia, and so for these reasons, I advise that the book is not appropriate for young teenagers or anyone without a strong stomach! There is quite a lot of strong language in here. I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars for the captivity with which it held me from start to finish.

The Dark Web Murders
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Manali_DC
Currently Reading: A Little Life
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manali-dc.html
Latest Review: Flat Top Mountain Ranch -- the beginning by James E Doucette

Post by Manali_DC »

Thank you for a great review! I am a fan of thrillers and mysteries- the darker and grittier the story, the better it is for me! Really intrigued by the plot and it is an added bonus that the book is well written and edited. Will definitely check this out!
DEEPA PUJARI
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-deepa-pujari.html
Latest Review: Seemore the Seagull by Ralph Tufo
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by DEEPA PUJARI »

Nice review. Mystery, is my favorite genre especially the ones that keep you guessing. This one sounds like it.
Kayla Cook
Currently Reading: The Girl Who Played With Fire
Bookshelf Size: 100
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaylac03.html
Latest Review: Ad Infinitum by William Fripp

Post by Kayla Cook »

This sounds like a good read. I'm not sure if I'm up for it yet, but I love great mysteries with well-developed characters. And how you described the author weaving the blog posts into the narrative sounds very interesting. I think I'll save it for later. Thank you for the great review, it was very descriptive and I enjoyed reading it!
Brenda Creech
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Mary Pat Ferron Caines
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading: Rainbow’s End
Bookshelf Size: 357
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brenda-creech.html
Latest Review: Was She Crying for Me? by Jerry Hyde
fav_author_id: 253250

Post by Brenda Creech »

Great review! I read this book last year, and I think your review summarizes it very well. There were too many off-color words and explicit scenes for me to say I truly enjoyed it. However, the storyline was very creative, and the author does an excellent job of keeping the reader guessing who the murderer is. I did figure it out before it was revealed, but not much before!
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
book_fanatic_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-book-fanatic.html
Latest Review: Wonder by Jon Trovato

Post by book_fanatic_ »

Nice review! I read this book a few days ago and admired the writing skills of the author; the plot-construction is wonderful.
She read books as one would breathe air, to fill up and live. - Annie Dillard
Latest Review: Wonder by Jon Trovato
Kanda_theGreat
Currently Reading: The Fox
Bookshelf Size: 167
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kanda-thegreat.html
Latest Review: Born To Survive by Kylie-Anne Evans

Post by Kanda_theGreat »

I'm currently reading this book and honestly, I'm becoming a big fan of the blogs. I haven't read anything as philosophically intelligent or even close.
Bet on Me! :idea:
derialist
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-derialist.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is Not What You Think by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by derialist »

I wouldn't want to be an officer after a menace as cunning as the murderer. He makes you look bad and grossly incompetent. I haven't read the book yet, but I can't wait for the opportunity. Sounds very entertaining from your review. Thanks!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”