Review by Jlblawrence -- Shepherds of Destiny

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Jlblawrence
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jlblawrence.html
Latest Review: We Don't Just Eat Lettuce! by Allyn Raifstanger

Review by Jlblawrence -- Shepherds of Destiny

Post by Jlblawrence »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Shepherds of Destiny" by Kiel Barnekov.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Set in a future where there is a cure for Alzheimer’s, Shepherds of Destiny: Book One by Kiel Barnekov is a futuristic look at what advancements people suffering from neurologic diseases like ALS might be able to look forward to in the future. Beginning in 2028, the story follows the diagnosis and deterioration of Kristian Barnett from Lou Gehrigs disease. When an opportunity to try an experimental procedure becomes available, Kristian and his physicians place his brain into an extended stasis in hopes that it can be downloaded into a host body at some period in the future. Once in stasis, Kristian becomes aware that he is in some kind of limbo state with a mysterious being called the Guardian. The Guardian explains to Kristian that while he is in limbo, it is going to be his job to save the world as we know it.

Simultaneously, another patient with advanced ALS becomes the first to have his mind inserted into a cyborg developed by Kristian’s wife, Dr. Ansley Barnett, who works for a government agency called DARPA. The two men must save the world by correcting timeline mistakes that crop up during the Civil War and the negotiations with Hitler during World War II.

The author’s impressive knowledge of the Civil War, World War I and II, and the legislature passed around those time periods really makes the middle of the book come alive. Because he is so well versed in those topics, it is easy to believe the events that are being discussed in that part of the book. I felt engaged and interested. I even researched a few topics because I had not known that Stonewall Jackson was shot by his own men. Alternatively, the knowledge of the medical terms and scientific principles in the beginning of the book are less concrete and it makes that area of the book less believable. That combined with a narrative that is fairly dry, make the beginning of the book slightly less enjoyable than the later chapters.

Despite the rough writing, the storyline itself is very enjoyable and I found myself curious as to what would happen next. It was a very thought provoking story depicting what could very well be in the works as far as neuroscience and bioengineering is concerned. I would encourage readers to push past the difficult beginning and see what interesting ideas the story has to offer.

While this story is compelling and very interesting, a host of spelling, formatting, and other issues exist throughout, so I would rate this a 3 out of 4. It frequently has misaligned paragraphs, missing quotation marks, and the wrong character’s names used at inappropriate times. Occasionally I was confused about the timeline, because the author switches between past and present tenses. I would recommend this book to those who enjoy a good medical or military story. However, at the end of the novel, the plot becomes a bit political in favor of staunch conservative values. So maybe readers sensitive to political issues should shy away. A little more editing and this story would shine up like a pretty penny.

Shepherds of Destiny
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
MeganDJ
Currently Reading: Mirrored Worlds
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-megandj.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by MeganDJ »

An intriguing premise for a book :D I love a good sci-fi fantasy novel and having a few historical facts and events is definitely a great drawing card for me. Alas, I find it difficult to be immersed in a book that is riddled with grammatical errors and formatting mistakes :( Thank you for the wonderfully honest and thorough review! Happy reading :techie-studyinggray:
Ivona R
Currently Reading: Clean Water for Developing Countries
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ivona-r.html
Latest Review: Restore Trust by Werner NEFF

Post by Ivona R »

I like futuristic books, as well as those with an alternative past or present. If the author is knowledgable about the book's theme, that's certainly a big plus. I also find these books more enjoyable in that case. What I noticed about these books (including this one) is that they often have to sacrifice morality for the sake of an interesting plot. I think it's really hard to write a book of such extended possibilities.
Thanks for the fantastic review.
GiselleBengochea
Currently Reading: Nathan Turner and the New World Order
Bookshelf Size: 1720
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gisellebengochea.html
Latest Review: Terror In Manila by Frank Q. Aurillo Jr

Post by GiselleBengochea »

:D Shepherds of Destiny by Kiel Barnekov is a prescient novel that investigates the advancements that people ailing from neurological diseases like Alzheimer's may be able to anticipate in the future. The only repulsive factor might be in the editing and formatting of this manuscript. Excellent review! You made the central characters "come alive" in your descriptive depiction of this book. Great job!
GiselleBengochea
Currently Reading: Nathan Turner and the New World Order
Bookshelf Size: 1720
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gisellebengochea.html
Latest Review: Terror In Manila by Frank Q. Aurillo Jr

Post by GiselleBengochea »

:D Shepherds of Destiny by Kiel Barnekov is a prescient novel that investigates the advancements that people ailing from neurological diseases like Alzheimer's may be able to anticipate in the future. The only repulsive factor might be in the editing and formatting of this manuscript. Excellent review! You made the central characters "come alive" in your descriptive depiction of this book. Great job!
Jlblawrence
Currently Reading:

Post by Jlblawrence »

MeganDJ wrote: 19 May 2020, 02:06 An intriguing premise for a book :D I love a good sci-fi fantasy novel and having a few historical facts and events is definitely a great drawing card for me. Alas, I find it difficult to be immersed in a book that is riddled with grammatical errors and formatting mistakes :( Thank you for the wonderfully honest and thorough review! Happy reading :techie-studyinggray:
I agree! The historical bits and the very provocative ideas made this a very interesting read! The errors were unfortunate. Thank you for the reply!
Jlblawrence
Currently Reading:

Post by Jlblawrence »

Ivona R wrote: 19 May 2020, 04:30 I like futuristic books, as well as those with an alternative past or present. If the author is knowledgable about the book's theme, that's certainly a big plus. I also find these books more enjoyable in that case. What I noticed about these books (including this one) is that they often have to sacrifice morality for the sake of an interesting plot. I think it's really hard to write a book of such extended possibilities.
Thanks for the fantastic review.
I love when the author is clearly knowledgable about what they're writing. It just comes across so much better than when they're not quite as experienced. I never realized I'd be able to pick it out so easily. Thank you for the response!
inaramid
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Siege and Storm
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inaramid.html
Latest Review: The Fourth Kinetic by Brady Moore

Post by inaramid »

The time travel element is certainly unexpected. That looks promising! I hope there's a revised edition soon.
Reubeney
Currently Reading: Gringo
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reubeney.html
Latest Review: Mobius by Garon Whited

Post by Reubeney »

I like the futuristic aspect of this book. The premise of the story sounds fascinating too.
Latest Review: Mobius by Garon Whited
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Uplifting The Pain of Behavioral and Learning Styles Through Poetry Now
Bookshelf Size: 408
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: Unsettled Disruption by Juana Catalina Rodriguez
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

Sounds like an interesting sci-fi fiction. Thanks for the descriptive and nice review 👍👍
We all need people who will give us feedback. That’s how we improve.

- Bill Gates -

:lire4: $u$han €kanayak€ :text-feedback:
Jlblawrence
Currently Reading:

Post by Jlblawrence »

inaramid wrote: 21 May 2020, 10:02 The time travel element is certainly unexpected. That looks promising! I hope there's a revised edition soon.
A good editor would make this book so much better! Thanks for the comment.
Jlblawrence
Currently Reading:

Post by Jlblawrence »

Sushan wrote: 21 May 2020, 20:09 Sounds like an interesting sci-fi fiction. Thanks for the descriptive and nice review 👍👍
I don't usually read sci-fi and I actually really enjoyed it. Thanks for the comment!
Dentarthurdent
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dentarthurdent.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Dentarthurdent »

This sounds like an interesting integration of sci-fi, medical, war and political drama. It's a shame that there are issues that prevent these elements from working together seamlessly. Altogether, it does sound like an interesting read.
Thanks for such a great review. I like that you mentioned that the book's start is a bit rocky; this way if I read it, I'd know there are better things ahead. Awesome work!
"I say what it occurs to me to say when I think I hear people say things. More I cannot say"
--Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe.
Jlblawrence
Currently Reading:

Post by Jlblawrence »

Dentarthurdent wrote: 23 May 2020, 11:34 This sounds like an interesting integration of sci-fi, medical, war and political drama. It's a shame that there are issues that prevent these elements from working together seamlessly. Altogether, it does sound like an interesting read.
Thanks for such a great review. I like that you mentioned that the book's start is a bit rocky; this way if I read it, I'd know there are better things ahead. Awesome work!
Absolutely! I know when I'm reading a book for pleasure, if the beginning doesn't continue to grab me, I start to get bored. And while it's not exactly boring, it is a bit tedious and I could see it going that way. But overall it is a very interesting premise for a story! Thanks for your comment!
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

The idea of mixing future medical progress and an adventure in time is intriguing, though I have to say that I'm unsure about the political element. Thank you for your terrific review!
Ciao :)
Massimo

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”