Review by Nujudee -- Masters and Bastards

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Nujudee
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nujudee.html
Latest Review: Masters and Bastards by Christopher J. Penington

Review by Nujudee -- Masters and Bastards

Post by Nujudee »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Masters and Bastards" by Christopher J. Penington.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Have you ever been betrayed or sold out by a trusted friend to a sworn enemy? What was your reaction? What became of your friendship?

Masters and Bastards by Christopher J. Penington is a historical fiction that unfolded with a major character, Andreas Marset, an Aparthian Bastard. He was the most handsome and brilliant Iberian man in the province. His physical features, mind and telepathic powers surpassed that of his superiors. On the battlefield, even as a mere platoon member, he was better skilled than the commanders of the Army. He never returned from any war without victory and promotion. He was tutored by the best. Yet, Andreas was barely the age of a man — he was under 17. Despite the young man's profound talents and skills, he wasn't lucky in finding love. Would this be his undoing in the future?.

I enjoyed the author's writing style, especially his description of major characters. His ability to hold a structural dialogue between his characters and their roles was highly commendable. Masters and Bastards consists of 28 chapters, yet I couldn't remember wanting to skip a line because Christopher J. Penington was able to make each scene that unfolded completely unpredictable. Historical fiction has not really been my prefered genre of book, but the author was able to keep me glued to this book, thus changing my misconceptions about this genre. The title alone gave it away. From the moment I selected this book, I was certain it was going to be different. I'm glad it did not disappoint.

My favorite part of the novel was on Page 387, where Andreas Marset acknowledged the Almighty before him as his men embarked on a life-threatening war. The ability of the author to include this part, especially in an army squad that didn't believe in Christianity. This indeed was highly commendable.

Unfortunately, I encountered countless grammatical errors in the book, which was quite distracting. This included punctuation errors and misuse of character names in the novel. Also, the sudden change of writing to Italics was annoying as they came without prior notice. All these avoidable errors showed that the novel was not professionally edited. Another unpleasant situation that distracted me was the numerous characters the author involved in the novel, which he eventually dropped halfway and never mentioned them again. Therefore, I rate it 3 out of 4 stars.

I learned a lot from Masters and Bastards — from wars to the way telepathic powers were being used. Most importantly, I admired Andreas' Bravery. I'll recommend this book to lovers of historical fiction laced with telepathy and mature readers because of the high level of profane words and erotic content.

Masters and Bastards
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

kaylac03
Currently Reading: The Girl Who Played With Fire
Bookshelf Size: 100
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaylac03.html
Latest Review: Ad Infinitum by William Fripp

Post by kaylac03 »

Historical fiction hadn't piqued my interest much, either, but as my love for history grew, I started warming up to that genre. It still isn't my favorite genre, but this story sounds interesting, despite the errors. I don't know if I'll read it yet, but your review did a great job of letting me know what I'd be getting if I bought it. Thanks for the review!

Caffrey_19
2019 Reading Goal: 40
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caffrey-19.html
Latest Review: Rescued by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Caffrey_19 »

I have read this book and I enjoyed the writer’s imaginary effort in putting together a story this fantastic. I also enjoyed the review as it pointed out some captivating events that kept me glued to the book. Nice work.

Teddyquam
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teddyquam.html
Latest Review: Zonas de quema by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Teddyquam »

The errors definitely took away from the book, but other than that I quite enjoyed it!
Do you ever feel like you spend too much time reading? Yeah. Me neither. :lol:
:reading-4:

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”