Review by HusainNecklace52 -- Jane Grace: Library of Light

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
HusainNecklace52
2019 Reading Goal: 40
Favorite Book: The Magic Strings of Frankie Presto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-husainnecklace52.html
Latest Review: Korian by Giorgio Garofalo
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Review by HusainNecklace52 -- Jane Grace: Library of Light

Post by HusainNecklace52 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Jane Grace: Library of Light" by Trace Sonnleitner.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Jane Grace: The Library of Light by Trace Sonnleitner is a dystopian novel featuring the character of Jane Grace living in the desolated city of Rubelle after the world suffers a series of bombings referred to as: ‘the Great War’.

Jane Grace is a normal teenage girl with a not-so-normal life which becomes even more abnormal when she is chosen by the world council to rebuild her city. What ensues, then is a series of events that hugely impact and change her life forever.

Rumors come to life, prophecies are fulfilled, alliances are made, and nothing ever remains the same for Jane. Soon, she finds herself embroiled within situations from which she can't see a clear way out. What’s more? A new threat looms over her city and friends threatening to plunge them into ever more darkness. Will Jane step up and stop the calamity before it strikes, or will she fail her friends, her city, and herself?

In the beginning, the book may seem like any other dystopian novel featuring a series of predictable events. I won’t lie by saying that it doesn’t do that – it does. However, there are a few aspects of the novel that distinguish it from other similar books out there. For example, the way the author describes particular scenarios is very pleasing. He doesn’t simply enumerate the details; instead, he guides the readers through those particular scenes as if they were the ones witnessing it for real with their own two eyes. This particular element of the book appealed to me a lot and helped me tread through the novel with overwhelming excitement.

Moreover, the author uses simple structured language for the narration of his book which makes the reading experience all the more enjoyable. The readers are easily guided through the plot without having the need to take a pause and revisit the last sentence they just read because it was so convoluted and hard to comprehend. Through this, the author definitely makes the reading experience clear, easy, and very precise.

However, that being said, there are a few things about the book that didn’t settle well with me. One of them is the plot. The author could have definitely added a little bit of suspense in the book which would make the readers yearn to come back and lose themselves into the story. Instead, the book is a series of overly predictable events that end exactly the way the readers expect them to end; as a result, crippling the reading experience for the readers.

Likewise, the characters – including the protagonist of the book – seem too unrealistic; meaning that they aren’t well-crafted characters that could pass as normal human beings. Certain aspects of their traits just don’t add up with their background information and sometimes a character acts and reacts in a way that is completely contradictory to their initial personality – making the readers feel like these characters are merely sketched out by the author rather than three-dimensionally structured with precision and care.

Albeit, I give Jane Grace: The Library of Light by Trace Sonnleitner three out of four stars for its descriptive aspect and for its solid use of proper and simple language. I would recommend this book to all those who like reading post-apocalyptic novels and don’t mind experiencing the same story being conveyed to them again and again with a different form of narration and cast of characters. Also, the book seems to be professionally edited as there are no prominent grammatical errors or typos present. All in all, it’s a good book to read, but you wouldn’t be missing out on much if you decided to steer clear from it.

Jane Grace: Library of Light
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”