Review by Leen282 -- We Don't Just Eat Lettuce!

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Leen282
Currently Reading: Live Your Life of Abundance
Bookshelf Size: 134
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leen282.html
Latest Review: Beautifully Scarred by Cewanda Todd

Review by Leen282 -- We Don't Just Eat Lettuce!

Post by Leen282 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "We Don't Just Eat Lettuce!" by Allyn Raifstanger.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

We don't just eat lettuce by Allyn Raifstanger is a short book with easy vegan recipes for carnivores, as stated by the author. The book starts with the story of why the author became vegan overnight and lists the health benefits he experienced. He clearly says that he is no doctor and has no medical background, so readers should contact their GP for any health questions. Allyn includes an extensive list of footnotes with references to publications where readers can find more information about the studies he mentions.

Already a few days after starting to eat vegan, Allyn noticed he had more energy, needed less medication to keep his cholesterol in check, and his weight stabilized at a healthy level. In contrast, beforehand, he was slightly overweight despite an active lifestyle and working out. With this book, the author wants to share his experience and motivate others to go for a healthier way of living and eating. He does not become preachy or glorifies the vegan lifestyle as the only alternative.

The first few chapters of the book did not speak to me, probably because the book is very US-oriented. I could not identify with the author's childhood memories of eating mostly pizza, mac and cheese, and other salty, greasy preparations. I also did not feel comfortable with some anecdotes he mentioned, such as offering children money to clean vegetables or curling weights while driving on the highway.

The easy recipes he writes out include a lot of canned food from US brands that are not available in European stores. I was also disappointed seeing recipes with just a bit of fresh food. For me, easy and fast does not necessarily equal opening a can even if this preserved food does not have a lot of added ingredients. Finally, I was disappointed to see very little concern for the environment, suggesting single-use plastic on several occasions. I would expect that someone concerned with health issues would recognize the danger of single-use plastic around food.

Allyn shares more recipes in the second half of the book. These focus on cooking from scratch, with fresh ingredients, and as such easier to prepare for those readers who do not have access to US supermarkets. There are a few recipes I look forward to trying, such as the watermelon and tomato salad, or the Brussels sprouts snacks. As for the motivational part, the book does the trick: I started my morning with some freshly cut fruits.

I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. I think the book will appeal to US-based readers who want to try vegan recipes without spending hours in the kitchen.

We Don't Just Eat Lettuce!
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

I'm not planning to go vegan, but reducing meat can be good for my health, so vegan recipes can be interesting. I agree that suggesting single-use plastic is not good, and not finding certain types of food outside the USA might be a problem, but overall this seems a useful book. Thank you for your thorough review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Leen282

Post by Leen282 »

NetMassimo wrote: โ†‘22 May 2020, 10:20 I'm not planning to go vegan, but reducing meat can be good for my health, so vegan recipes can be interesting. I agree that suggesting single-use plastic is not good, and not finding certain types of food outside the USA might be a problem, but overall this seems a useful book. Thank you for your thorough review!
There are definitely a few nice recipes I look forward to trying, especially the watermelon-tomato salad ๐Ÿ˜‹.
Pstodumeje
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pstodumeje.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Pstodumeje »

When I saw the cover of this book. I asked myself what could be interesting in eating or not eating lettuce? Reading this review, I am able to get the writer's point of view. The review says it all. This is a nice piece of work.
Leen282

Post by Leen282 »

Pstodumeje wrote: โ†‘23 May 2020, 09:22 When I saw the cover of this book. I asked myself what could be interesting in eating or not eating lettuce? Reading this review, I am able to get the writer's point of view. The review says it all. This is a nice piece of work.
Thanks for commenting.
Adanna Inya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adanna-inya.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe v morrow

Post by Adanna Inya »

I've been wanting to go vegan, but I don't have the courage yet. Maybe reading this book will help me make my decision.
Leen282

Post by Leen282 »

Adanna Inya wrote: โ†‘23 May 2020, 14:18 I've been wanting to go vegan, but I don't have the courage yet. Maybe reading this book will help me make my decision.
If you want to go vegan, I am sure the author's positive experience will help motivate. If you want some more vegan recipes and ideas without going the full 100%, the book gives that as well. It's what I liked about the approach, the author shares his positive experience without imposing anything.
Teddyquam
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teddyquam.html
Latest Review: Zonas de quema by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Teddyquam »

"The first few chapters of the book did not speak to me, probably because the book is very US-oriented. "

I completely agree! The author alienated a lot of readers by making it so centered on America. However, I am still excited to make some of these recipes as I've bought and read the book!
Do you ever feel like you spend too much time reading? Yeah. Me neither. :lol:
:reading-4:
Leen282

Post by Leen282 »

Teddyquam wrote: โ†‘31 May 2020, 18:13 "The first few chapters of the book did not speak to me, probably because the book is very US-oriented. "

I completely agree! The author alienated a lot of readers by making it so centered on America. However, I am still excited to make some of these recipes as I've bought and read the book!
Yes, some of the recipes really speak to me as well. Thanks for stopping by
moowshiri
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moowshiri.html
Latest Review: The Kings Death by Ed Cannon

Post by moowshiri »

The secret to a happy life definitely includes healthy living. The book sounds very informative, especially for those grappling with excess body weight issues. I'll give it a try soon. Thanks for the engaging review.
Leen282

Post by Leen282 »

moowshiri wrote: โ†‘03 Jun 2020, 07:13 The secret to a happy life definitely includes healthy living. The book sounds very informative, especially for those grappling with excess body weight issues. I'll give it a try soon. Thanks for the engaging review.
Healthy living indeed is important. I like that the author highlights the benefits of vegan living without presenting it as the only way.

Return to โ€œVolunteer Reviewsโ€