Review by tjportugal -- The Fisherman and his Foundlings

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
tjportugal
Favorite Book: Lord of the Rings
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tjportugal.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Review by tjportugal -- The Fisherman and his Foundlings

Post by tjportugal »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Fisherman and his Foundlings" by Phillip Leighton-Daly.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

An old widower fisherman, living in a house made of the wreckage of ships, sets out on his usual perilous journey. His goal is to bring fish to the homeless children that live in the mission and salmon oil to a leper colony. One day, after setting out to yet another journey, the old man finds a beautiful mermaid child in distress. Her tail fin had been cut away. The old man quickly feels the urge to help the merchild. However, their differences are just too evident. Can the fisherman’s benevolent heart overcome the obstacles or will the racial disparities prevail in deterring any sort of assistance?

The Fisherman and His Foundlings, by Phillip Leighton-Daly, is a short story that highlights the value of kindness. The storyline follows an old man in his attempt to help an infant mermaid that had become an outcast in her aquatic kingdom. It is interesting to notice that the fisherman’s kind deeds arise amid the great hardships that he has to face along the perilous pathway, thus being even more precious.

The plot is constructed beautifully. It includes episodes of sadness and loneliness as well as the happiness and fulfillment that come with charitable works. It is also not without a touch of thrill and suspense. Alternating between reality and fantasy, Leighton-Daly was able to capture and combine the richness of the elder’s life experience and the children’s innocence. While showing the contrast between the values of the fisherman and the greed of the mermaids, this remarkable work of literature presents the reader with a message of true humanity.

As for the structure, this book is exceptionally well edited. The story develops at a good pace and is accompanied by wonderful illustrations by JRaphael Edmundo Honasan. The linguistic quality of the narrative is superb, flowing smoothly and having no typos or grammar mistakes at all. The vocabulary diversity is very broad and structured into an engaging rhetoric (this was my favorite element). Some of the words, though, may be unfamiliar to small children and therefore may require parental guidance.

Reading The Fisherman and His Foundlings, by Phillip Leighton-Daly, was a literary breath of fresh air. There was nothing I disliked about it. I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. This rating reflects my appreciation for the blend of the beautiful storyline with the amazing illustrations, and the perfect editing. This book is one of those precious gems that readers come across when they least expect it.

The Fisherman and His Foundlings seems to be more appealing to mature children or young adults, especially those fond of sea themes.

The Fisherman and his Foundlings
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
To read or not to read? That's not even a question!

Caffrey_19
2019 Reading Goal: 40
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caffrey-19.html
Latest Review: Let’s Mountain Bike! by Paul Molenberg

Post by Caffrey_19 »

A great work this is, creating an atmosphere of human-mermaid compatibility. I would love to see how this story ends. Thank you for this inspiring review.

Jlblawrence
2019 Reading Goal: 50
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jlblawrence.html
Latest Review: Mock My Words by Chandra Shekhar

Post by Jlblawrence »

This novel sounds like something I would definitely pick up at the store. Your summary was fantastic and made me want to check it out. Thank you for this review!

tjportugal
Currently Reading:

Post by tjportugal »

Caffrey_19 wrote: ↑
18 May 2020, 10:37
A great work this is, creating an atmosphere of human-mermaid compatibility. I would love to see how this story ends. Thank you for this inspiring review.
This was one of my favorite books so far. It's really worth reading. I'm really glad I came across it.
Thank you for your comment!

tjportugal
Currently Reading:

Post by tjportugal »

Jlblawrence wrote: ↑
18 May 2020, 21:46
This novel sounds like something I would definitely pick up at the store. Your summary was fantastic and made me want to check it out. Thank you for this review!
I'm sure you'll like this book. It went way beyond my expectations. It was really good. Very simple and very rich.
Thank you for your comment! :tiphat:

NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
2019 Reading Goal: 50
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 162
Currently Reading: The Drowned World
Bookshelf Size: 138
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: Peter Street:Treasure by Philip Sparrowhawk

Post by NetMassimo »

This seems the kind of story that uses fantasy elements to develop themes that are very real and important for everybody, so the characters' feeling can resonate with ours. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo

tjportugal
Currently Reading:

Post by tjportugal »

NetMassimo wrote: ↑
19 May 2020, 10:58
This seems the kind of story that uses fantasy elements to develop themes that are very real and important for everybody, so the characters' feeling can resonate with ours. Thank you for your great review!
You got it. Spot on! It is a book that the vast majority of people can somehow relate to.
Thank you for your comment.

JM Reviews
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jm-reviews.html
Latest Review: I Give You Credit by Carlos Ariel Then

Post by JM Reviews »

Sounds like a great fictional novel. Your Review was very interesting. Thanks.
Your success is not completely deserved, and the failure of others is not completely deserved either :D

tjportugal
Currently Reading:

Post by tjportugal »

JM Reviews wrote: ↑
20 May 2020, 08:55
Sounds like a great fictional novel. Your Review was very interesting. Thanks.
Hi.
It is a great novel indeed. Thank you very much for your comment.
Cheers :tiphat:

jeminah28
Bookshelves Moderator
2019 Reading Goal: 5
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 680
2018 Reading Goal: 5
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 80
Favorite Book: Adrift
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1215
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeminah28.html
Latest Review: Mixed Blessings by J.M. Muse

Post by jeminah28 »

Your summary piqued my interest, made me curious on the plot. I love to read books about kindness. Nice review.
"Jesus Christ is the Saviour of the world."

tjportugal
Currently Reading:

Post by tjportugal »

jeminah28 wrote: ↑
22 May 2020, 06:10
Your summary piqued my interest, made me curious on the plot. I love to read books about kindness. Nice review.
Thank you very much for your comment and your support!
Indeed, Jesus Christ is the Lord!!
This book has a Christian backdrop. You'll enjoy it.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”