Review by Miller56 -- Devil in False Colors by Jack Winnick

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Miller56
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miller56.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Review by Miller56 -- Devil in False Colors by Jack Winnick

Post by Miller56 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Devil in False Colors" by Jack Winnick.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

How often do we think about what happens in our churches, mosques, and synagogues after hours? Are they what they seem or are they the front for something more ominous? Devil in False Colors by Jack Winnick takes us on a journey of behind the scene activities of religious facilities. This is the third book in a series focused on the work of Uri Levin and Lara Edmonds, as they fight terrorism in the United States. This book is fictional, but it bears a resemblance to things in current news articles.

After a gruesome attack on children at Mazeltov preschool, Lara Edmonds and Uri Levin were called in to help with the investigation. Lara was with the Joint Terrorism Task Force. Uri was a member of the Mossad, the national intelligence agency of Israel. The two had worked together to stop previous terrorist activities, so they seemed like the logical choice to be involved in investigating this attack.

Lara had decided that a way to infiltrate the organization was to pose as a radical Islamic bride, looking for an Arabic terrorist husband. She answered advertisements fitting the description of the likely suspects in the crime. Eventually she found the person who was leading the terrorist activities. Her true identification was already known by the organization, which took her on some roller coaster rides. Lara, as always, is a strong, smart individual who I enjoy reading about. In this book, the readers are also introduced to her weaker, more feminine side. Because she shows weakness in this book, I enjoyed her character more than I have in previous books in the series. She seems more human and less infallible.

Uri separated from Lara in this book. In previous books, they have been side-by-side and infallible. In this book, Uri infiltrates the organization as an escaped convict terrorist that flew to the United States to hide. Uri has also been one of my favorite characters in the series., Uri also shows that he is not infallible, and he makes some errors that gets him into some situations that were unanticipated. I enjoyed that he displayed both strength and vulnerability in this book.

Although this book is the third one in a series, it is easy to understand as a stand-alone story. The characters are introduced, although not in as much detail as previous books, but in enough detail to allow the reader to understand and enjoy the characters. The book has few grammatical and spelling errors. These do not take away from the book. The book also is exciting and holds the readers attention. The author has thoroughly researched terrorism and intelligence agencies in various countries. Because of these reasons, I rate the book 4 out of 4 stars.

I recommend this book to anyone who enjoys reading about the role intelligence agencies have in stopping terrorism. The book also shows the extent that terrorist activities may be embedded in religious facilities the United States. The book contains some graphic, gory details that may not be acceptable for all readers. In addition, the book although well-researched, may show some biases toward Islamic and Muslim faiths.

Devil in False Colors
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

InStoree
2019 Reading Goal: 20
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 205
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-instoree.html
Latest Review: The Juicy Fruit Man by LaMar Going

Post by InStoree »

This is a popular book on OBC, and the Lara and Uri Series seem to highlight some real facts and events over the terrorist attacks and the difficult job that lies on the FBI agents. Thank you for your great review!
Keep It Stupid Simple!

Miller56
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miller56.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by Miller56 »

InStoree wrote:
12 May 2020, 05:01
This is a popular book on OBC, and the Lara and Uri Series seem to highlight some real facts and events over the terrorist attacks and the difficult job that lies on the FBI agents. Thank you for your great review!
Thanks for stopping by and taking time to read my review. This is a good series if you like reading of terrorist organizations and don't mind similarities from one book to the next.

DBNJ
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dbnj.html
Latest Review: The Dark Web Murders by Brian O'Hare

Post by DBNJ »

Thriller Novels, especially spy novels involving agents who are working for FBI, CIA, MOSSAD, KGB, and MI6, etc. are some of my favorite novels. This one seems to be the same. You have reviewed this novel really well! :tiphat:
‘In a world that increasingly obsesses over the gods of power, money, and fame, a writer must remain detached, like a bird on a rail, watching, noting, probing, commenting, but never joining. In short, an outsider.”

-Fredrick Forsyth

teacherjh
2018 Reading Goal: 48
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 100
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 296
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: Project Tau by Jude Austin

Post by teacherjh »

Going undercover in an extremest group sounds like a great plot.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”