Review by Michelle Fred -- The Billionaires’ Handbook

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Michelle Fred
2019 Reading Goal: 100
Favorite Book: Sugar & Spice
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michelle-fred.html
Latest Review: The Billionaires’ Handbook by Andrew Stevenson

Review by Michelle Fred -- The Billionaires’ Handbook

Post by Michelle Fred »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Billionaires’ Handbook" by Andrew Stevenson.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

I was euphoric when I saw The Billionaires' Handbook: A User's Guide to Wealth and Power. I thought I had found a way to grace the cover of Forbes Magazine as the latest member of the billionaires’ club. Alas, author Andrew Stevenson pulverized my hopes of globe-trotting on a private jet and lounging on a private island all day. In consolation, I came away with a new perspective that got me wondering how noble my billionaire ambitions are. I haven't given up the billionaire dream, though.

Like me, if you thought you have found the coveted secret of the super-rich, you thought wrong. But if you have ever wondered how the rich keep getting richer amid dwindling life quality, health care, and social welfare, read on.

Through the employment of satire and illustrations, Andrew takes the reader on an expository journey of how billionaires have gained and kept their wealth over the years. According to Andrew, right from the times of feudalism to the current system he terms “cynicism,” the rich have remained on top of the game by writing the rules. When a player writes the rules of the game, you can guess whose interest is most paramount.

I enjoyed Andrew’s use of humour and symbolic illustrations to draw attention to societal problems, caused by the burgeoning gap between the rich and poor. The images of blind-folded men garbed in cooperate attires symbolize rich industrialists and how they turn a blind eye to the problems they cause. Why should they care about their workers when a replacement is a LinkedIn post away? Who cares about environmental pollution when you can live on Mars? Pointing out a problem is easy, proffering solutions is where the work lies. With books like this, I look out for plausible solutions proffered by the author. Thankfully, Andrew didn't disappoint.

Even though I agree with most of Andrew’s views, I consider his approach too simplistic for a problem as complex as social inequity. The brevity of his assertions and proposed solutions doesn't afford a reader an in-depth understanding of the subject.

The book’s editing is meticulous, and the pages are adorned with rich and relevant illustrations. Andrew’s writing style is punchy and witty. Considering the above positives, I rate the book 3 out of 4 stars. I didn’t give it a perfect rating because I believe the subject isn’t fleshed out. The book will appeal to anyone that likes satirical literature centred on social justice. It's is devoid of eroticism and vulgarity.

The Billionaires’ Handbook
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Harty
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harty.html
Latest Review: Big Bunches At The Jam Factory by Keith.paulusse

Post by Harty »

Like you I was disappointed with this book in terms of creating wealth. I enjoyed though the author's humour.

Michelle Fred
Currently Reading:

Post by Michelle Fred »

Harty wrote:
16 May 2020, 09:55
Like you I was disappointed with this book in terms of creating wealth. I enjoyed though the author's humour.
Thanks for your comment, I appreciate it.

NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
2019 Reading Goal: 50
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 162
Currently Reading: The Drowned World
Bookshelf Size: 138
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: Peter Street:Treasure by Philip Sparrowhawk

Post by NetMassimo »

Despite the flaws you pointed out, this book seems interesting for the food for thought it offers with the humor used to explain very serious problems. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo

Sushan
2019 Reading Goal: 10
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 120
2018 Reading Goal: 10
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 230
2017 Reading Goal: 0
Currently Reading: A Tale of Two Cities
Bookshelf Size: 256
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan.html
Latest Review: My Island Home by Penelope Ann Smith-Carter Dichiera

Post by Sushan »

So it is a book about bad aspects of being rich!! Sounds interesting. Thanks for the nice review 👍👍
We all need people who will give us feedback. That’s how we improve.

- Bill Gates -

:lire4: $u$han €kanayak€ :text-feedback:

gen_g
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Democratization of Wealth by Canfield LaPeer

Post by gen_g »

I hope that the author takes your suggestions and develops the book in order to give more nuanced opinion. Thanks for the review!

Michelle Fred
Currently Reading:

Post by Michelle Fred »

NetMassimo wrote:
19 May 2020, 10:38
Despite the flaws you pointed out, this book seems interesting for the food for thought it offers with the humor used to explain very serious problems. Thank you for your great review!
Thanks for your comment.

Michelle Fred
Currently Reading:

Post by Michelle Fred »

Sushan wrote:
21 May 2020, 19:52
So it is a book about bad aspects of being rich!! Sounds interesting. Thanks for the nice review 👍👍
Thanks for stopping by and commenting.

Michelle Fred
Currently Reading:

Post by Michelle Fred »

gen_g wrote:
22 May 2020, 04:00
I hope that the author takes your suggestions and develops the book in order to give more nuanced opinion. Thanks for the review!
Thanks for your comment.

Nerea
2019 Reading Goal: 15
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 166
2018 Reading Goal: 10
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 80
Currently Reading: Justice
Bookshelf Size: 360
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nerea.html
Latest Review: Mixed Blessings by J.M. Muse

Post by Nerea »

Sorry about the disappointments. I was disappointed too. Upon completing reading the book, a different attitude towards billionaires had already developed in my heart. I like the reason for rating the book at 3 stars. That was a thorough review. Kudos.
"Regular reading improves your grammar."

unamilagra
2019 Reading Goal: 20
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 245
Currently Reading: The Explosive Child
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unamilagra.html
Latest Review: O is for Oshun by Kya Johnson
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by unamilagra »

I think using satire to make a point in a book can be an effective tool, but only if it is done the right way. It sounds like this book fell a little short of that mark. Thanks for an insightful review!

Pstodumeje
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pstodumeje.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Pstodumeje »

The users guild to wealth. This is a book for every one. This is a packed full of Information and ideas. The book is filled with suspense. You can’t predict the content of this book buy just viewing the cover. You have to read it and see what it entails. The review says it all. I enjoyed it.

DBNJ
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dbnj.html
Latest Review: Mixed Blessings by J.M. Muse

Post by DBNJ »

I was really interested to find about more on this book. Your detailed review was really helpful to get an idea about the book. Thanks for a well written review!
‘In a world that increasingly obsesses over the gods of power, money, and fame, a writer must remain detached, like a bird on a rail, watching, noting, probing, commenting, but never joining. In short, an outsider.”

-Fredrick Forsyth

AvidBibliophile
Currently Reading: The King of Torts
Bookshelf Size: 169
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-avidbibliophile.html
Latest Review: Road Map to Tomorrow by John Morgan Mullen

Post by AvidBibliophile »

I do love some relevant illustrations, though my dreams are often pulverized by unrealistic solutions too. You make some excellent points here for sure!

MsH2k
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading: The Rapture of The Church has been Canceled
Bookshelf Size: 125
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: 25 Days of Roses by Mellanie Brown

Post by MsH2k »

“Who cares about environmental pollution when you can live on Mars?” That question speaks volumes and gives me an idea of the satire in this book. It sounds like it would elicit a few chuckles, but think I’ll will pass on this one. Thanks for a great, entertaining review!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”