Review by interstellar88 -- Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
interstellar88
Currently Reading: A Study in Scarlet
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-interstellar88.html
Latest Review: East Wind, 2nd edition by Jack Winnick

Review by interstellar88 -- Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by interstellar88 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Burn Zones" by Jorge P. Newbery.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

"Everyone's life is full of burn zones which test the limits of our bodies and minds."

This memorable line lies at the beginning of the autobiography, Burn Zones: Playing Life’s Bad Hands,by Jorge P. Newbery, in which he describes his rise to success among the many challenges he was confronted with. These challenges were his burn zones, or the greatest difficulties in life. Everyone has their own burn zones that they face throughout their lives. This is a truly endearing story about one man's path to success, along with all the failures that came along the way. It is not your typical rags to riches story. Newbery writes in a way that is very relatable to almost anyone; everyone faces difficult problems in life that don't have clear solutions. This is just one man's turbulent yet inspiring journey.

It began with a job of newspaper delivery at the age of seven and soon after, Newbery, ever the entrepreneur, found himself with an ice cream business just 4 years later. He would always strive for more opportunities, never believing anything was out of reach despite his age. With every job, he took great responsibility and understood the importance of his work no matter the size of the job.

After quitting school at the age of 16, he impressively became the owner of an independent record company. He quickly learned to operate independently and his family was supportive of his imaginative ideas which proved to be very successful.

Years later, Newbery faces his greatest burn zone yet. He is now in the real estate business which becomes very risky, very fast. Newbery was confronted with a growing problem that was out of his control. Before this, he felt like he could handle anything, but perhaps he was wrong.

I really appreciated Newbery’s writing style and found it to be empathetic and fascinating to read. His storytelling is very detailed and precise as he recounts the many testaments and trials of his life. Moreover, his successes do not appear boastful; rather, they inspire us that we can achieve anything we put our minds to.

A man without any formal education somehow owned a record company and also became a real estate mogul. However, he faces several burn zones along the way. The most trying ones make you want to give up everything. Ultimately, he emphasizes how being accountable for his actions allowed him to achieve a profound sense of responsibility. I was incredibly interested in learning how he responded to his failures, and the reality of having an immense problem that is beyond the scope of your control.

This book was exceptionally well-edited and I did not find any errors. I give Burn Zones: Playing Life’s Bad Hands a rating of 4/4 and would strongly recommend it to anyone looking for an inspirational story to get them through a difficult time. I thoroughly enjoyed every part of the roller coaster ride that is Jorge Newbery’s life.

Burn Zones
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”