Review by Azura_Cat -- Project Tau by Jude Austin

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Azura_Cat
Favorite Book: The Collected Nightmares
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-azura-cat.html
Latest Review: New Yorkers by Clifford Browder

Review by Azura_Cat -- Project Tau by Jude Austin

Post by Azura_Cat »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Project Tau" by Jude Austin.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Around a millennium into the future, Kalin Taylor is doing what college students do best: making a life-changing decision. But unlike many students, this decision takes him down a road of pain, suffering, and physical alterations that shape Kalin into Project Kata, a being designed to spy and kill. With his humanity frequently denied to him, Kata can only rely on one other person. Tau is a clone and is in almost the same situation as Kata, except Tau has never known freedom. The two wreak havoc and destruction with one purpose, a purpose that can be discovered within Jude Austin’s book, Project Tau.

Due to its minimal grammatical errors, an intriguing plot, and an excellent writing style, I give Project Tau a rating of 4 out of 4 stars. Aside from these three aspects, Kalin also makes for an excellent protagonist in such a dark book. Kalin is intelligent, resilient, and stubborn, traits that help him survive the suffering described in the book. Kalin's snarky and rebellious attitude is also a light amongst the many bad things that occur. As the book is written in the third-person, a few other points of view are also included, enabling readers to gain a more thorough view of the novel’s events.

As much as I adored the book, it is quite dark. The book deals with all kinds of abuse, slavery, corruption, and murder. It made me cry several times and I had to take some time to digest the novel properly after I was done. What I disliked the most about the book is how well the dark side of humanity is portrayed. It is realistic – a compliment to Jude Austin - but it was quite depressing to realize that the book depicts a story that could easily happen in the future.

The mature themes and language of this book result in my recommendation that only adults read Project Tau. Lovers of science fiction will enjoy this novel, but if rape and torture are things that you hate reading, do not pick up this book. This book has very little happiness within it, although the reassurance of the prologue helps you face everything that Kalin and Tau do.

Even though this book did make me cry, I will read it again. The realistic nature of the book is as compelling as it is terrible, and it reminds us that humans are not perfect. However, that does not make us irredeemable. This book does not allow us to lose hope, and I think that message is important. I will caution future readers, but I do ask that you give Project Tau a chance.

Project Tau
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
bookreviewmi1111
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookreviewmi1111.html
Latest Review: Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide by William H. Coles

Post by bookreviewmi1111 »

Wao, I think all the reviews I read rating this book 4 out of 4. Sadly this can be our future one day. Novels are not my best choices but I think I will read this book to know. I appreciate that you feel so much when you read the book, and I love your review. Thanks!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”