Review by Nym182 -- Homecoming: The Unari Experiment Book 1

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Nym182
Currently Reading: Harley Quinn
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nym182.html
Latest Review: Homecoming: The Unari Experiment Book 1 by Brian L. Harad

Review by Nym182 -- Homecoming: The Unari Experiment Book 1

Post by Nym182 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Homecoming: The Unari Experiment Book 1" by Brian L. Harad.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Homecoming – The Unari Experiment is the first book in a political/science-fiction series written Brian Harad. In it, the President of the United States of America must act on an offer made by two extra-terrestrial species, the Unari and the Thunerians. The tradeoff is seemingly simple. Earth would receive a new element that would greatly improve human technology and their standard of living and in return, the Unari are granted clearance to remove the Queen’s son, who has been placed on Earth, disguised as a human, to save their race. However, things are not so simple for Byron Hollington, who has lived his entire life as a human, as he is abducted and must come to terms with his new identity and role.

I thought that this was an interesting idea for a series. While both political and science fiction genres can be intimidating due complex subject matters, Homecoming never got confusing or overwhelming. Harad does a wonderful job at not only portraying a realistic, human reaction as the reader goes on this journey of self-discovery with Byron as he must come to terms with who he really is. Harad also does a great job at making two different alien species come to life. I would gladly recommend this book to anyone who enjoys books from the political or science fiction genres.

The main issue I had with this book was that there were quite a few spelling errors. These errors lead me to believe that this book was not professionally edited. In addition, there were times that the narrative lagged, and my interest waned at times. Because of this I have given this novel 3 out of 4 stars.

One smaller issue I had while reading this book deals with the logic the author used. In the story, one character, Byron’s wife, must prove to Byron that she is who she says she is. As proof, Byron’s wife tells Byron about a specific incident. However, the incident she uses, which was a particularly embarrassing moment for Byron, was caught on tape and uploaded to the internet. This event gives Byron a bit of notoriety as people recognize him as “the guy from that internet video” from time to time. I would argue that since many people have access to that moment, that would not have been a good choice for his wife to use as evidence.

There are a couple of factors that would lead me to only recommend this series to a more mature reader. Foremost is the amount of swearing. This book also covers the topic of sex, incest and breeding, although it is in the context of an alien culture. These mature topics may be unsuitable for younger readers.

Homecoming: The Unari Experiment Book 1
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming “Wow! What a Ride!” HST
Mutuma Clare
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mutuma-clare.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Mutuma Clare »

Wow! This is a great review. Reading such reviews to improve my rating. Am also adding the book to my shelf.
Hawah issah voya
Currently Reading: The Great Migration
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hawah-issah-voya.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Hawah issah voya »

Great review.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”